The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Another doozie of a test question

Fellow officials,

B1 is attempting a throw-in from the end line after A1's made basket when A2 commits an intentional foul against B2. After B2's free throws, the throw-in for Team B may be anywhere along the end line.

True

False

The rule says that after a made basket a team may run the baseline for the throw-in. Also, if a violation or foul happen near the baseline, the team maintains the ability to run the baseline. I am wanting to apply this logic to the question above but it doesn't state where the intentional foul occurred.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the assistance,

pfan
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Don't have my books with me, but it states "they may run the endline when the designated spot would be on the endline for violations and fouls *except for an intentional or flagrant*".

Last edited by Valley Man; Thu Dec 10, 2015 at 01:26pm.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

The NF uses concise verbiage. Thus when the NF says "...team can make the throw in anywhere along the endline"--it literally means that they can run the endline, yes.

However, what you are asking is this: Does the location of the IF (intentional foul) dictate the throw-in area---if say the IF occurred near the division line while A1 was attempting to make the throw-in from the endline. Does this change the the throw-in area away from the endline and newly positions it near the division line instead?

Is that what you are asking?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Also, if a violation or foul happen near the baseline, the team maintains the ability to run the baseline.
Read the rule more carefully.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

The answer is true because the thrown in MAY be the endline. It MAY also be a sideline. Since the resumption of play is spot nearest the foul I would say True.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
The answer is true because the thrown in MAY be the endline. It MAY also be a sideline. Since the resumption of play is spot nearest the foul I would say True.
It's false. a team retains the privilege of running the end line when a violation or COMMON foul occurs before the throw in ends.
(and the ensuing throw in spot would be on the end line)

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Dec 10, 2015 at 01:51pm.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
It's false. a team retains the privilege of running the end line when a violation or COMMON foul occurs before the throw in ends.
Doh I didn't read the OP. Yes common foul only. That would make it FALSE. Because it won't be anywhere it would be somewhere.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

7.5.7 SitB reads.....

Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball after the made basket, then proceeds out of bounds to start the throw-in process. B1 runs along the end line out of bounds while attempting to find an open teammate for the throw-in. Immediately after B1 releases the throw-in pass, (a) the ball is kicked by A2 near the end line; (b) the ball is kicked by A2 near the division line;

Ruling in (a) and (b), A2 violated by kicking the ball. In (a) team B will be awarded a throw-in and retain the right to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. In (b), Team B will put the ball in play at the designated spot nearest the violation.

A violation near the end line will maintain the ability to run the baseline.

7.5.7 Sit C Reads.....

Team B has scored a field goal and A 2 has the ball along the end line for a throw-in. Team A is not in the bonus. Prior to the ball being thrown inbounds by A1: (a) B1 fouls A2 near A1; (b) B1 fouls A2 at the division line

Ruling: In (a) Team A may throw-in from anywhere out of bounds along the end line following the foul reporting. In (b) the ball will be given to Team A for a throw-in from the spot out of bounds nearest to where the foul occurred.

Can someone point me to the place in the rulebook where it states that an intentional foul supersedes these? I am always wanting to learn and improve and appreciate what this forum has done for my officiating.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

It's not that it supersedes these its that only on a COMMON foul do they retain the right to run the endline. An intentional foul is NOT a common foul.

You can have a common foul, an intentional foul, and flagrant foul.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

This is from the 2012-2103 Interps (and it was in an earlier interp as well from maybe 2004-2005 -- I don't recall when this rule went into place). I fyou read the rule that's referenced (perhaps the number has changed), it specifically says "COMMON foul." Note that NCAA only says, "Foul" (iirc)

SITUATION 9: Player A1 scores a field goal. Team B has the ball for an end line throw-in. Thrower-in B1 may move along the end line. A2 intentionally fouls B2 near the end line. Following the free throws, the official awards the ball to Team B and rules that Team B still has the privilege of moving along the end line. RULING: Incorrect call. The ensuing throw-in must be made from the designated spot. (Rule 7-5-4b)
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7.5.7 SitB reads.....

Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball after the made basket, then proceeds out of bounds to start the throw-in process. B1 runs along the end line out of bounds while attempting to find an open teammate for the throw-in. Immediately after B1 releases the throw-in pass, (a) the ball is kicked by A2 near the end line; (b) the ball is kicked by A2 near the division line;

Ruling in (a) and (b), A2 violated by kicking the ball. In (a) team B will be awarded a throw-in and retain the right to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. In (b), Team B will put the ball in play at the designated spot nearest the violation.

A violation near the end line will maintain the ability to run the baseline.

7.5.7 Sit C Reads.....

Team B has scored a field goal and A 2 has the ball along the end line for a throw-in. Team A is not in the bonus. Prior to the ball being thrown inbounds by A1: (a) B1 fouls A2 near A1; (b) B1 fouls A2 at the division line

Ruling: In (a) Team A may throw-in from anywhere out of bounds along the end line following the foul reporting. In (b) the ball will be given to Team A for a throw-in from the spot out of bounds nearest to where the foul occurred.

Can someone point me to the place in the rulebook where it states that an intentional foul supersedes these? I am always wanting to learn and improve and appreciate what this forum has done for my officiating.
Look at the rule that goes with these case plays. 7-5-7. You will see privilege to run retained if violation or COMMON foul. An intentional foul is not a common foul. The team fouled already gets two shots and the ball back. The rules just don't give them the further privilege of running the end line.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Dec 10, 2015 at 03:07pm.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Look at the rule that goes with these case plays. 7-5-7. You will see privilege to run retained if violation or COMMON foul. An intentional foul is not a common foul. The team fouled already gets two shots and the ball back. The rules just don't give them the further privilege of running the end line.
Thanks BigCat! I appreciate the help.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks BigCat! I appreciate the help.
Any time. Good luck to you.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Just to put a wrinkle in........here is a similar question which drives me nuts

B1 is attempting a throw-in from the end line after A1's made basket when A2 commits a common foul against B2 before the bonus. The throw-in for Team B may be anywhere along the end line.

True

False

Based on my post above........

7.5.7 Sit C Reads.....

.....it depends where the foul occurred.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing it's true because of the word MAY