Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ref View Post
- #4 in white is the OP's Daughter.

- This was a pre-season jamboree/scrimmage. Might explain the lax attire of the officials.

- I thought it was just in my neck of the woods that high school girls basketball was brutal to watch.
I've seen some 1a boys team that would get wrecked by those two girls teams. Look at the score. Couldn't be all that bad.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

There is a scrum for a loose ball, a red player secures it while on the ground, and white 4 jumps on top of her. That is a foul every day, and twice on Suday. Are you suggesting this type of action should be allowable? Would you draw the line at elbow drops? If you are suggesting that white 4 is pushed into her, I don't think so, her momentum was going that way already and for this ref to call a push on red here would be very problematic. And backcourt? Not a chance.

Last edited by ballgame99; Mon Dec 07, 2015 at 04:13pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
There is a scrum for a loose ball, a red player secures it while on the ground, and white 4 jumps on top of her. That is a foul every day, and twice on Suday. Are you suggesting this type of action should be allowable? Would you draw the line at elbow drops? If you are suggesting that white 4 is pushed into her, I don't think so, her momentum was going that way already and for this ref to call a push on red here would be very problematic. And backcourt? Not a chance.
This sounds like a coach.

And one that doesn't win.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrph View Post
This wrong call happened literally directly in front of the ref. The only way to miss it was with eyes closed.

I can tell you what is frustrating from a parents perspective is that most refs have zero humility, and act as if they are never ever wrong. Around here they do not answer questions.

In this particular case the woman ref comes over pronouncing that this "foul" was white #4's 5th foul and the removed her from the game. Turns out it was only her fourth foul and they corrected it a few minutes later, allowing her back in after critical moment of the game had transpired.

And, all four of her "fouls" were just as obviously suspect.
All right, feeling generous today and a little like Scrooge on Christmas Day.

1. There are many ways to miss the call. Straight lined, surprised, tired, frustrated. Sometimes we anticipate a certain call or pass on the initial contact and then have to get the next contact. Some refs have a hard time when the play is chaotic and processing what's a violation, what's a foul and what we can pass on.

2. I *never* interact with fans. Nothing good is going to come from that. The parents have 1 job. Encouraging cheering. That's it.

3. 4th foul / 5th foul is a table problem. If you have a strong crew, one or more may notice a discrepancy, but it's a table responsibility. This issue probably happens about 30% of the time at the JV level and has happened in each of my varsity games this year (all girls games.)

4. Sure probability make me doubt that the refs incorrectly called all 5 fouls.

Passion is a part of sports. It can also greatly color a fan's view of particular plays.

Lastly, most great officials and even very good officials do not want to work a steady diet of girls Varsity games. It may help you to realize that you are going to see errors and inconsistencies regularly.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
You're basically asking a three year old to act like an adult. This is in no way meant to be offensive, but I just think of them as TypicalIdiotFans and my life is much easier. Without fans, sports wouldn't be what they are and the games wouldn't be fun, at least for me. They are a major part of the event, whether you like it or not. Treating fans like they should know everything is just as ignorant as the fan screaming, "over the back!!"

I've changed basketball in my area for fans by treating them like human beings who don't have a clue what's going on behind the mind of an official. I can't put a price on how rewarding it is to have fans actually understanding the game instead of telling them to shut up because they're throwing a temper tantrum. What else can they do? They have a three year old mentality when it comes to the rules of the game and have no idea how to act. Answer a few questions here and there and it has a chain reaction.
I went to a game to watch a friend the other day and ask they started chirping at my friend I jumped in and explained how breaking the plane was not a T just a delay of game. Soon we are talking about daughters, rules, clarifications, etc. They enjoyed I was there to help the officials and learned a ton from me. And that I pointed out things these young guys could do to get better.

I agree with Dad. It is better to have a little fun and conversation. Possible growth and understanding then to just rip into them and yell at them. I think fans are frustrated they dont know how to understand things better and love a referee who will talk to them and then you have a new friend on your side helping others in the crowd enjoy the game and learn from it.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I went to a game to watch a friend the other day and ask they started chirping at my friend I jumped in and explained how breaking the plane was not a T just a delay of game. Soon we are talking about daughters, rules, clarifications, etc. They enjoyed I was there to help the officials and learned a ton from me. And that I pointed out things these young guys could do to get better.

I agree with Dad. It is better to have a little fun and conversation. Possible growth and understanding then to just rip into them and yell at them. I think fans are frustrated they dont know how to understand things better and love a referee who will talk to them and then you have a new friend on your side helping others in the crowd enjoy the game and learn from it.
Coaches are not your friend. Fans are not your friend. Both will throw you under the bus the first chance they get.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
No luck on video on the three other obviously suspect foul calls? I love to breakdown video.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 11:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
This sounds like a coach.

And one that doesn't win.
Who sounds like a coach? The OP, or the post you quoted?
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 11:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post

I hope you weren't pointing out to fans where the crew could do better.