The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Unprofessional. Not in mechanics manual. Not necessary. Remember it. Rely on the table.
Unprofessional - this doesn't make sense

Not in mechanics manual - doesn't mean anything. Neither is carrying an extra shoe lace, but I looked like a bad-ass when mine broke and I had it fixed in under 40 seconds.

Not necessary - Until it is.

Remember it - good joke

Rely on the table - No.

Maybe these reasons apply for NBA, Big HS/College tourneys, etc. Even then I have still done it. I'm not going to muck up a game because all three of us are looking like idiots debating whether the table just screwed up an AP arrow.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 05:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad (Meatloaf, 1977) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I'm not going to muck up a game because all three of us are looking like idiots debating whether the table just screwed up an AP arrow.
We work mostly two person games here, and when we have an arrow question (seldom), and can't figure it out using our great intellects (we almost always can), we have a saying, "two out of three (official, official, table) wins" (very seldom goes that far).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We work mostly two person games here, and when we have an arrow question (seldom), and can't figure it out using our great intellects (we almost always can), we have a saying, "two out of three (official, official, table) wins".
I thought that was the norm.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 06:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

What does the AP arrow have to do with the OP?

And of course if we give the wrong team an AP throw-in the arrow doesn't change. The team entitled to the AP throw-in never had its throw-in end.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 06:34pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

And of course if we give the wrong team an AP throw-in the arrow doesn't change. The team entitled to the AP throw-in never had its throw-in end.

+1. It is irrelevant to the opening post. Don't even know why it was brought up.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you're screwing up a throw-in it's most likely an AP arrow issue. First time poster and asking a simple question... good possibility we should let them know what comes next.

Cute cheerleader btw
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 08:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If you're screwing up a throw-in it's most likely an AP arrow issue. First time poster and asking a simple question... good possibility we should let them know what comes next.

Cute cheerleader btw
It could have been after a timeout. No AP arrow implications there.

Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 08:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Unprofessional - this doesn't make sense

Not in mechanics manual - doesn't mean anything. Neither is carrying an extra shoe lace, but I looked like a bad-ass when mine broke and I had it fixed in under 40 seconds.

Not necessary - Until it is.

Remember it - good joke

Rely on the table - No.

Maybe these reasons apply for NBA, Big HS/College tourneys, etc. Even then I have still done it. I'm not going to muck up a game because all three of us are looking like idiots debating whether the table just screwed up an AP arrow.
I know the AP direction without switching a whistle from pocket to pocket, I just remember it. If I carry a spare whistle, it stays in one pocket the whole time

Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 08:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Alternating Possession Arrow ???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
It is irrelevant to the opening post. Don't even know why it was brought up.
Here's why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
And the possession arrow stays pointed toward the team that you incorrectly gave the ball to - so they get the next throw-in also.
This incorrect statement was the impetus for a few more posts. Many of us couldn't let that slide.

The subject was broached. It had to be dealt with.

I watched a lot of Perry Mason episodes as a kid.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 29, 2015 at 08:30pm.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It could have been after a timeout. No AP arrow implications there.

I said most likely. You claim you can remember AP arrow, but think not remembering who's ball it is after a timeout can happen.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 10:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I said most likely. You claim you can remember AP arrow, but think not remembering who's ball it is after a timeout can happen.
Claim? It's not that difficult to do.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Claim? It's not that difficult to do.
It is. I've met a total of one official I'm be confident could remember who's jump it was at any point during a goofy girls freshman game.

I certainly can't do it.

I wasn't questioning your ability. It was a lead in to say it's 100x more likely to forget an AP arrow than to forget who's ball it is after a time out. I mean one of the officials did have to call the thing. Haha.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation happen a few years back with a veteran official.
We wrap up a quick huddle before the 2nd half throw-in and myself and the other U tell the veteran R: White (Visiting team) ball.

I take the position as L and other U as C. We look up and he's giving the ball to H1, who immediately throws it into H2, who then dribbles into his back court - where we're all standing. Buzzer sounds, and C whistles (I think for over and back). R (T) realizes what happened: hits his whistle, walks mid-court and tells both coaches "My bad - I screwed up..." Coaches nod in agreement, so he back peddles and gives the ball to V1 for the throw in. I knew he botched it, but wasn't going to challenge him after he got the coaches to agree with him in the middle of the court.

What would you have done?
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We wrap up a quick huddle before the 2nd half throw-in and myself and the other U tell the veteran R: White (Visiting team) ball.

I take the position as L and other U as C. We look up and he's giving the ball to H1, who immediately throws it into H2, who then dribbles into his back court - where we're all standing. Buzzer sounds, and C whistles (I think for over and back). R (T) realizes what happened: hits his whistle, walks mid-court and tells both coaches "My bad - I screwed up..." Coaches nod in agreement, so he back peddles and gives the ball to V1 for the throw in. I knew he botched it, but wasn't going to challenge him after he got the coaches to agree with him in the middle of the court.

Enforce the violation.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In whos shoes and was it definitely an over and back? Probably an angel fixing your screw-up.