The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

girls uniforms

Does any state have girls uniform exceptions for Muslim girls? I know of two states that have specifically designed uniforms for Muslim girls, including leggings, head scarves and some kind of skirt covering the shorts, but I was wondering if any state governing body had allowed these kinds of uniforms to be worn in NFHS play during sanctioned games.

thank you.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

My state allows for accommodations for any religious request to modify their uniform. It is not exclusive to Muslims. There are some Christian schools that also want similar accommodations for their girls.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

This year we have an international student who wants to participate on a women's basketball team this season. For religious beliefs, she is required to have every part of her body covered except her face. Requires her to wear extra clothing under her uniform to cover her arms/legs and something to cover her hair. State approved a basketball uniform waiver so she could participate.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I don't really know that much of a waiver is needed. Tights and long-sleeved t-shirts are specifically allowed. And, there's some sort of case (or maybe it's really a rule -- I don't have the books handy) that head coverings are allowed as long as they are secured.

(I do agree that it's better to have a waiver that's not needed than to not have one that is needed.)
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't really know that much of a waiver is needed. Tights and long-sleeved t-shirts are specifically allowed. And, there's some sort of case (or maybe it's really a rule -- I don't have the books handy) that head coverings are allowed as long as they are secured.

(I do agree that it's better to have a waiver that's not needed than to not have one that is needed.)
I agree with what you're saying. The e-mail that was sent out to everyone said waiver.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 01:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My state allows for accommodations for any religious request to modify their uniform. It is not exclusive to Muslims. There are some Christian schools that also want similar accommodations for their girls.

Peace
Been a while, but my experiences have been the same. And with private schools, it may not just be girls. I once officiated a school where the boys wore sweat pants and long-sleeve undershirts. They put up over 100 points on the local school they were playing.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 01:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, there's some sort of case (or maybe it's really a rule) that head coverings are allowed as long as they are secured.
3-5-4-Exception: State associations may on an individual basis permit a player to participate
while wearing a head covering if it meets the following criteria:
a. For medical or cosmetic reasons – In the event a participant is required by a licensed
medical physician to cover his/her head with a covering or wrap, the physician's
statement is required before the state association can approve a covering or wrap
which is not abrasive, hard or dangerous to any other player and which is attached
in such a way it is highly unlikely that it will come off during play.
b. For religious reasons – In the event there is documented evidence provided to the
state association that a participant may not expose his/her uncovered head, the state
association may approve a covering or wrap which is not abrasive, hard or
dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly
unlikely it will come off during play.

3.5 Situation A: ... The state association may authorize exceptions to the playing rules to provide
reasonable accommodations to participants with disabilities and/or special needs
or other unique and extenuating circumstances. The accommodations should not
fundamentally alter the sport, create risk of injury to the student-athlete/others or
place opponents at a disadvantage.

Note that, according to the NFHS (check your local listings) the documentation goes to the state association, and does not necessarily (by NFHS rule) follow the player to the game site. So as far as game officials are concerned, if the coach, or site director, or athletic director, states that the state has received documentation and that the exception has been approved, then it's play ball, we don't have to see said documentation. However, that being said (When in Rome ...), after the game, I would let my assignment commissioner know about the exception, and put the matter into his lap.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 25, 2015 at 01:42pm.