The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 29, 2002, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RAC
Uniforms

The pros have now used the black shirts for two years. Do you think that soem High Schools will be changing to the "new" uniforms? My high school board still does not think that we should have gone to the Navy.

What is your board unifrom rules? Can you wear anything?
Old Sun Sep 29, 2002, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Re: Uniforms

Originally posted by RAC

The pros have now used the black shirts for two years. Do you think that soem High Schools will be changing to the "new" uniforms? My high school board still does not think that we should have gone to the Navy.

What is your board unifrom rules? Can you wear anything?

I am certified in the state of NY and here's the requirements.

1. Navy Blue Cliff Keen Shirts with NY State Emblem on the Pocket.

2. Fechheimer Grey plants It is recommended that you have both Plate / base Pants or the new Combo Pants.

3. Navy Blue Pullover Jacket with NY State Emblem and American Flag on the back

4. Ball Bags - Either Navy or Grey - NO MORE Black

5. Hats - Navy Blue Some associations require the
Association LOGO as well on the front of the hat.

6. Undershirts - NAVY BLUE

7. Socks - Navy Blue or Black

As far as equipment meaning Chest protector, Mask, Shin Guards and shoes - That is left up to the individual, however, it is wise to get PLATE Shoes both from a safety standpoint and a rating standpoint.

Normally, HS gives individuals TIME before they change uniform colors, etc. It took forever just to change from the traditional Black Pullover Jackets to the Navy Blue Pullover Jackets.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Jim Mills

You're an independent contractor; you're free to wear whatever you want. Schools are free to not hire you if they don't like what you wear.

Jim I don't think you are giving sound advice.

First off Schools don't hire you unless you live in a small community and there is no Umpire association.

Umpire associations hire you based on your availability and Umpire rating. There are certian EQUIPMENT requirements like shirts/ pants and jackets, in order for you to work.

Granted in today's environment, with the shortage the way it is, an umpire even if they wear what they want will get work but the work will not be a quality game. It will be a game where no-one wants to go.

One's first year of umpiring (I know this varies depending upon the number of games, etc.) is a little more than break even after you purchase the required uniform, pay your dues and upgrade your equipment.

Pete Booth

Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Peter,

Before this gets too exciting let's talk about a couple of things:

1) Where is there a shortage of umpires? A friend of mine moved to Wisconsin. He has worked COLLEGE baseball. He was able to schedule ONE date for a game. It was a JV game and it was in 2004. Yes, that date is correct. Not even next season . . . but a freakin' JV game in a season 18 months away.

2) I am from Oregon. We don't have as many crappy uniform rules as NY . . . but wait Pete, you guys are lot easier than freakin' ALABAMA.

3) We require grey pants, a navy over shirt and a logo'd navy or black hat. We want black shoes.

That just about covers it. Now we do EXPECT MORE from varsity umpires . . . but we allow the crew to decide what color shirts (they all match -- butt 'cept we do allow the PU to be different in a 3 or 4 man crew). We don't expect JV umpires to spend all there small amount of earnings on uniforms.

4) Patches . . . we are not required to wear the FED patch until State playoffs. (That is why there is double sided carpet tape, I guess.)

5) We have the largest umpire association in Oregon and we don't seem to have any great problem with our unpires wearing something that is passable.

Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Re: Peter,

Originally posted by Tim C

Tee,

Wisconsin or Oregon is not The BIG Apple. The small diamond games which you refer to pay as much as a JV FEE here in NY. Many umpires get HS certified but do not umpire HS or they umpire only a handful of games.

There's a few LL associations that pay JV type money for Small diamond ball. I'll give you an example, I helped out a fellow colleague of mine who was scheduling for a particlar LL organization. One umpire behind the plate - $55.00 per game 6 innings approx 1 and 1/2 hr.'s work. Now that FEE depeding upon which part of the country you are from is equivalent to a JV FEE or higher and you work approx 1/2 the amount of time.

There's a Babe Ruth League (13/14 yr. olds) - 2 Hr. Time Limit on games - One Umpire $80.00 and you can work as many games as you like.

So while there's not a shortage in Wisconsin or Oregon, there is here. To put it this way, you can come out of retirement, move to NY and I'll almost guarantee you work everyday for the duration of the HS season. Now you might not get Varsity Games, but you will work.

The schools here in the NY Metropolitan area are huge and have 4 levels of baseball. Modified (7th/8th graders), Freshman (9th Graders) JV and Varsity. Therefore, many umpires are needed. It's not uncommon to be scheduled Solo in the modified and Freshman Games and even at the JV level sometime.

In addition the so called Small diamond games are paying comparable FEES as one receives doing a HS game. Therefore, some umpires opt for the small diamond as opposed to the HS environment and make a decent buck.

So you are correct, I should not make a blanket statement that there is a shortage of umpires, but say depending upon where one lives there could be a shortage.

Pete Booth

Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Tee,

Times have changed in Bama, we can wear Cliff Keen pants in addition to the Fechs, we can wear combo pants and the "new" pleated pants as long as their Fech or Cliff Keen. But you must wear a navy undershirt, black shoes, black or navy socks, state patch and a ASHAA hat.

Maybe soon we'll be able to point. LOL

Will
Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Will,

hehehehehe