The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 19, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to another official last week. I am going to this same school Tuesday and know it will come up.

Our blue made this team tuck their jerseys inside their pants after the coach argued they were meant to be left out. Other blue went along with this.

In rule 3-2-10, it states the uniform should be worn in the way the manufacturer intended them to be worn.

What are your thoughts? Is there a more definitive rule elsewhere? How are we supposed to know the difference in the uniforms. Thanks for your help.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gemini
How are we supposed to know the difference in the uniforms...
My opinion would be that the way to tell is that if it is on a softball field and it is a softball uniform, the manufacturer meant for it to be tucked in.

My advice would be to contact the governing body, (your local UIC or league president) for a ruling ahead of time.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How are we supposed to know the difference in the uniforms. Thanks for your help.
In the same vain as SC Ump, I think it comes down to opinion. A lot of umpires I know use this as their guideline: on defense, if it's out, it's out. On offense, keep it tucked in.

For pitchers, let common sense dictate. If the pitcher starts the game with it tucked in and by the second pitch the shirt is out, then let it go. It would slow down the game to continually have a girl tuck in a shirt that doesn't fit anyway...it's just going to keep coming out.

And some uniforms ARE designed to be worn untucked. Maybe we should require coaches to have a letter from the manufacturer that states their uniforms are designed to be worn untucked?
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 07:09am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
How are we supposed to know the difference in the uniforms.
Legal untucked:
Bottom hem is multi-stitched, thicker, heavier.
No hem split on sides for tucking.
No visible manufacturers' logo.

Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
How are we supposed to know the difference in the uniforms.
Legal untucked:
Bottom hem is multi-stitched, thicker, heavier.
No hem split on sides for tucking.
No visible manufacturers' logo.

And fits tight enough at the bottom hem that it would not blow around in the wind.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Accept the fact that modern teenage girls DO NOT want to wear shirts tucked in or sleeves rolled down, etc. If they tuck the shirt in it will only be enough so that they can fold it over the waist band. This is the same way they wear their casual clothes and they are not hung up on uniforms as boys are. And for the most part, the NFHS recognizes this; they don't force softball coaches to wear uniforms, they don't force girls to wear pants or hats.

I will not fight this! There are too many other battles to be won during the game that are far more important. I don't even care if the shirt is out on offense. I make sure the coach knows that a ball striking loose clothing will not get a girl a trip to 1B, and they might be called out if a tag is applied to loose clothing. Then we play the game.

WMB
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
Yer back!
Good.
mick
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will not fight this! There are too many other battles to be won during the game that are far more important. I don't even care if the shirt is out on offense. I make sure the coach knows that a ball striking loose clothing will not get a girl a trip to 1B, and they might be called out if a tag is applied to loose clothing. Then we play the game.

WMB
I agree with your sentiment here, WMB, with regards to being the "fashion police."

NFHS seems to take these kinds of things more seriously that do other bodies (even allowing for contest results to be overturned due to uniform violations protested after the fact).

In routine games, I ignore shirt tails, and would "not see" a hit "jersey" for a base award. However, I wouldn't tell the coaches this ahead of time.

In state tournament or other critical games (in ASA-speak, Championship Play), I enforce the uniform rules.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know about the area where you are, but in Florida, it is required that the jerseys be tucking in (for high school play) and that the sleeves be worn "as designed"
In other words, tuck 'em in and roll 'em down.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

WMB
I agree with your sentiment here, WMB, with regards to being the "fashion police."

NFHS seems to take these kinds of things more seriously that do other bodies (even allowing for contest results to be overturned due to uniform violations protested after the fact).

In routine games, I ignore shirt tails, and would "not see" a hit "jersey" for a base award. However, I wouldn't tell the coaches this ahead of time.

In state tournament or other critical games (in ASA-speak, Championship Play), I enforce the uniform rules.
I gotta say I genarally ignore "tucks" also. Not gonna discuss it with coaches before the fact either. I really can't tell what the manufacturer designed for the shirts, and don't really care. Now if the shirt is much too large and hanging out close to the strike zone I would do something. Most HS teams really don't have very loose uniforms. Tucked in shirts were not an issue at our GA HS clinics, but different color underwear, and bandanas were.

Here's the good part. This year in Georgia, we've been told games are NOT protestable! This is in response to an allowed protest in a football game from last year which had to be partially re-played. I would imagine also this will be the norm for the 2005 baseball season also.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Rule book or anarchy, your choice.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Rule book or anarchy, your choice.
I had been thinking that anarchy could be fun, but then I recently listened to an interview of an anarchist on NPR talking about the planning sessions they had for their recent demonstrations in NYC, and I decided it just took too much planning to be worthwile.

Roger Greene
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
I had been thinking that anarchy could be fun, but ... I decided it just took too much planning to be worthwile.
LOL.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 03:36pm
goldcoastump

I don't think that there is a hard and fast rule on this. A lot of it is opinion ( and we all know what opinions are like). I don't let a batter come to the plate with a shirt flopping in the wind, I make them tuck them in because I don't want to make a call on a shirt being grazed by the ball. In high school ball there is a little less leeway they must tuck them in unless they are designed to be worn out ie: a different colored border.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
I don't know about the area where you are, but in Florida, it is required that the jerseys be tucking in (for high school play) and that the sleeves be worn "as designed"
In other words, tuck 'em in and roll 'em down.
This is Scott from the Tampa area I bet.

Yep, when I was down in Tampa in the mid-ninties, we had to tell the ladies that they could use rubber bands in their hair but not "scrunchies." The state was very specific on what was and was not allowed. Having the rules enforced uniformedly (no pun intended) made it a very easy task.