The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 10:26am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
The other thing that was brought up was the L bounce the ball to the throw in on anything on the sideline bow the FTE and the T keeping the count.
This mechanic makes things easier for sure but doesn't really lead to more correct calls. If the Trail can't bounce the ball to the thrower in the corner and get his butt to the 28' line to referee the play then he probably shouldn't be doing varsity ball. I wouldn't concern yourself with this one as much as other positioning things.

You keep bringing up "John Tipton", is that somebody we should all know??
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 10:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
This mechanic makes things easier for sure but doesn't really lead to more correct calls. If the Trail can't bounce the ball to the thrower in the corner and get his butt to the 28' line to referee the play then he probably shouldn't be doing varsity ball. I wouldn't concern yourself with this one as much as other positioning things.
No one should be calling college basketball then, b/c that's the mechanic.

Why should the Trail have to go down there to administer the throw-in when the Lead is 3 feet away? So, yes, maybe it's just to make things simpler. Has nothing to do with whether or not a person should have to hustle back to the 28' line.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You keep bringing up "John Tipton", is that somebody we should all know??

I don't know what his footprint is, I was asked who my source was and thats the guy. He was putting everything in the context of the playoff assignments .
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know what his footprint is, I was asked who my source was and thats the guy. He was putting everything in the context of the playoff assignments .
So it seems like Ohio is not 100% NFHS mechanics.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 10:53am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No one should be calling college basketball then, b/c that's the mechanic.

Why should the Trail have to go down there to administer the throw-in when the Lead is 3 feet away? So, yes, maybe it's just to make things simpler. Has nothing to do with whether or not a person should have to hustle back to the 28' line.
I wasn't addressing college mechanics, pretty sure the 'OHSAA' in the OP is a high school association. I'm well aware of the college and NBA mechanics and their "makes things easier" benefit, my point was that mechanic does not lead to more correct calls and thus is not as important as other mechanics tweaks.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 10:55am
AremRed

Quote:
Gotcha. We too have administrators here that are overly concerned with stupid mechanics stuff instead of "getting the play right". It's pretty sad.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If that is the rationale , I would be fine with it. But it wasn't expressed that way. Tipton didn't like goings under so he might not been inclined to mention that.

The other thing that was brought up was the L bounce the ball to the throw in on anything on the sideline bow the FTE and the T keeping the count.
I have never heard that....quite the contrary, every clinic I've been to (including Jim Berry's) says the L only handles throw-ins on the end line, that the T would handle the situation in the above case. Are you sure you heard it right? Maybe that's just John's opinion but it's not OHSAA's.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:11am
This IS My Social Life

Please Forgive the Length...

Quote:
...more correct calls...
NFHS mechanics:
Lead bouncing the ball across the corner to administer a throw-in is...
...allowed for two-person ("The throw-in is administered by the official responsible for the boundary line.")...
...but not for three-person ("In the frontcourt, the throw-in is administered by the official responsible for the boundary line.")
Simple enough.
But let's not, for the sake of a mechanic either cherished or detested, overlook one significant thing: It's a legitimate PCA issue more than anything. I.e., after distributing the ball to the thrower, what kind of surveillance is the administering official providing?
New officials, particularly, are -- I think due to an engrained habit picked up by the legitimate two-person mechanic -- inclined to focus on the player defending the thrower and the thrower him/herself to the detriment of low post play. Lead's focus on the torsos and the elbows of players in his primary away from the throw-in goes lacking. This is the problem seen also with many Lead officials doing three-person who bounce the ball across the corner. Rather than pass the surveillance of the thrower and defender there off to the Trail and turning attention inward, his/her need for avid attention on the jostling going on in his/her primary down low is ignored.
This is observed time and time and time again with new officials. Enough that it's just a lot easier maintaining the correct three-person mechanic stated above and teach the Lead to look inside during the throw-in, unencumbered by the perceived need or lingering habit to look at the throw-in outside his/her primary.
Good officials at Trail can easily perform this prescribed mechanic and they are observed doing so regularly without incident. There's really no good reason, other than personal preference and perhaps expediency, to vary from the mechanic, if that's what you're asked to follow.
Is this a legitimate point?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I have never heard that....quite the contrary, every clinic I've been to (including Jim Berry's) says the L only handles throw-ins on the end line, that the T would handle the situation in the above case. Are you sure you heard it right? Maybe that's just John's opinion but it's not OHSAA's.
I heard right. Whether he was couching his opinion it as OHSAA 's stance or not, it's hard to say. If he's wrong, there probably will be a lynch mob if some guys get ripped for those mechanics.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 01:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I wasn't addressing college mechanics, pretty sure the 'OHSAA' in the OP is a high school association. I'm well aware of the college and NBA mechanics and their "makes things easier" benefit, my point was that mechanic does not lead to more correct calls and thus is not as important as other mechanics tweaks.
Was the OHSAA's reasoning for changing the mechanic "to get more correct calls"?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 01:44pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Was the OHSAA's reasoning for changing the mechanic "to get more correct calls"?
Don't know, you'll have to ask this "John Tipton" guy.

I'd love to be able to do this in my state too but alas. I think it certainly makes things easier for the Trail, especially when the throw-in is very close to the endline. Let's be honest, does it really matter who bounces the ball to the thrower?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 01:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Don't know, you'll have to ask this "John Tipton" guy.

I'd love to be able to do this in my state too but alas. I think it certainly makes things easier for the Trail, especially when the throw-in is very close to the endline. Let's be honest, does it really matter who bounces the ball to the thrower?
Only to you apparently

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
"Rolling under" is just another term for "opening low." I always do this. You get a great angle between the players on a potential drive, and all you have to do is follow it in while the L is covering the secondary defenders.

I respectfully disagree with Camron about moving up toward the division line. How many times does something of consequence happen up there as compared to the semi circle and below? Why would I want to take myself in the opposite direction from where the basketball is going?
I would agree in some circumstances. I think it is about where and how the play starts and where it moves. If you're already on the low side and the play is moving that direction, it may not make sense to try to get to the high side since it will briefly put you in a stacked alignment. But, at some point, you're going to have to be on the high side unless you're going to continue down to the endline.

Quote:

Why would I want to observe plays from farther away? And as for getting beat going the other way....an acceptable risk considering there are ways (the button hook, for example) to get good temporary angles while you're transitioning to new lead. And not every transition is a fast break; getting beat is an unfounded fear 85% of the time.
Agree....to a point. We're not talking about farther way, just from the opposite side at a similar distance.

I just don't like taking the other 8 players out of my field of vision for no good reason. When you go low and look back up through the play, you lose all coverage of the corner and any activity originating form there (approaching screens, e.g.) and there is no one else that will be covering that.

Quote:
On another note, I have NOT seen consensus yet on how to stand as the lead (parallel, modified, or 45). Three camps, three different emphases. Guess ya just gotta do it the way your assigner wants. Wish we could get a more universal opinion on this.
Honestly, that topic is just silliness...and that is why you keep seeing varied opinions. It matters not one bit. It is a moving target that will change 1 day after you switch your stance. The same guy that is telling you to go parallel (or otherwise) will, after everyone is going parallel, will shift to 45 so he can tell you something to change again.