The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I believe we may have covered this a short time ago, but I had a coach ask me this tonight at a game;

Player A1 approaches a live ball while the ball is on the ground (either stationary or rolling). A1 then "pushes" the ball along the ground, giving it a new "push" with one hand every few feet.

I know strategy wise I can't see any reason to do this, but do you have any violation? Would it make a differenc if this was just a "fumble" in trying to control a loose ball, or if it is intentional to keep the ball moving in this manner?

I told the coach if it is a "fumble" then I don't have a call. If it is intentional...I'm not sure. Fortunately, it didn't come up in the game. Now, please enlighten me so I'm ready for the next time

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 02:13am
In Memoriam

I don't know whether you can accurately say that the play fits the rule book definition of a "dribble" or not, but I also can't think of any rule that's being violated on this play. Legal, imo.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I had similar thoughts (after a while) but I'm not sure what I would have called (or not called) if it happened in that game.

It seems to make sense that, if you don't have something similar to a dribble "ending" or something else illegal (like two hands on the ball), you can make the case for a no-call.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
JR, is right, of course. It's not a dribble, so there can't be a double dribble, even if it's pushed with two hands. There's no player control (holding or dribbling), so there can be no travel.

Play on until the defense is smart enough to come out and make him pick it up.