The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Bat Rolling

My 11 year old son plays travel ball and they are already doing cage work. We use a facility near my house and the boys are all showing off their new bats and prowess. Last night, I received this message, forwarded from the facility through the coach.

Quote:
ALL HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL BATS MUST BE
BBCOR CERTIFIED NOW!!

New Rules/Logo
There is a high school bat performance rule change going into effect January 1, 2012. The NFHSA (National Federation of State High School Associations) has adopted a new high school bat standard, requiring that aluminum and composite baseball bats meet BBCOR certification standards and display a BBCOR-certified logo. The new regulation aims to maintain wood bat-like performance in non-wood bats. All bats previously used for high school play will no longer be legal when this rule takes effect.

What Does This Mean?
You must purchase a new bat for the upcoming season that is BBCOR certified. These new bats are "dead" compared to your old composite or aluminum bat. It will take over 500 swings from live hitting to restore that "trampoline" effect you see from your old bat and there still will be "dead" spots. In order to restore your competitive edge you need to have the bat Rolled, so you can swing something "HOT" again!

How Will Rolling My Bat Help Me?
Rolling your bat ensures that it is HOT and the bat is hitting at its maximum potential. Rolling uniformly breaks in your bat and removes any dead spots to give you a larger and more consistent sweet spot. On average a bat rolled out of the package sees a maximum distance improvement of 20-40 feet and at least a 5 mph increase in ball exit speed! Make sure you're swinging the HOTTEST bat around by getting it rolled! New or used BBCOR bats can be rolled.

Is Rolling My Bat Legal?
Rolling your bat is perfectly legal and it does not void your warranty! It even makes it last longer by softening the fibers inside to create a trampoline effect that makes it HOT and protects the bat from cracking! Rolling does not add or take away from anything from the bat and only breaks it in meaning it is completely legal.
Now, I know that it isn't shaving or loading a bat but this is the first time I've seen this done around here. Maybe in other areas of the country it is more popular. It seems to fly in the face of deadening the bats for safety and I wonder if any associations have banned this practice. Have you done this to your bat(s)? Seen it make a difference? Removed bats because they have been altered?

My kid is a pitcher and I hate the idea of a hot bat being employed while he is just 50 feet away. But I recognize that with each rule change coaches will try to find a way around them. Personally, this sounds like a bad idea waiting for something awful to happen all in the name of the long ball. Thoughts?
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

BBCOR testing actually takes composite bats, rolls them repeatedly until failure, and tests them along the way. If, at any point, they perform over the set limit, they fail. So these bats are "safe", if they're only rolled. You'll see the term ABI, or advanced break in, and that's what this means.

Ah, but the question is, are they considered altered? I've heard both sides of this arguement, but nothing authoritative.

Composite bats have a certain life cycle. They start out like bricks, loosen up over time and use, then go dead. Rolling will get you nearer the end of the cycle, where performance is highest. Also understand that it's that much closer to death.

If you ask any manufacturor, they'll tell you putting your bat in a vise will indeed void the warranty, so these guys are liars. Just on that statement alone, I wouldn't trust them.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

1. Coaches trying to get an edge? I'm shocked, shocked!
2. Bat rollers using deceptive advertising? I'm shocked, shocked!
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 03:03pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
It will take over 500 swings from live hitting to restore that "trampoline" effect you see from your old bat ...
I'd think that taking the "over 500 swings" might actually make you a better player!
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Since there's no convenient way to test if a bat has been rolled, i.e. altered from its original design, this bodes badly for the BBCOR initiative. I watched a couple videos online about the process and it looks like if done badly, the bat will have a flat spot - $250 down the drain for Junior. I've tossed bats with flat spots from games before but this coming high school season we won't inspect bats and coaches know it. This should be interesting.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I imagine that if more than one player is swinging the same "HOT" bat, we will be asked to inspect it before the game is over. JMO
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, I admit that I spent way too much time looking online for bat rolling online. After a couple hours of looking at vendor sites, YouTube and reading up on the issue, it is pretty clear that detecting it is almost impossible. Basically, the bat rolling machines squeeze the resin that interlocks the composite fibers enough that they weaken. This creates a trampoline effect and a few sites show huge differences in exit speed and restitution. The bat manufacturers know that composite bats break down over time and make their bats 'less hot' when new, so that they will comply after a hundred hits or so. I found a couple associations that have banned composite bats altogether due to how they react when broken in. The new baseball equipment magazines are out and Junior's new toys cost $300 or so. Roll 'em and add another $75, void the warranty and speed up the process of it finally breaking down completely. Nice.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 08:41pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Okay, I admit that I spent way too much time looking online for bat rolling online. After a couple hours of looking at vendor sites, YouTube and reading up on the issue, it is pretty clear that detecting it is almost impossible. Basically, the bat rolling machines squeeze the resin that interlocks the composite fibers enough that they weaken. This creates a trampoline effect and a few sites show huge differences in exit speed and restitution. The bat manufacturers know that composite bats break down over time and make their bats 'less hot' when new, so that they will comply after a hundred hits or so. I found a couple associations that have banned composite bats altogether due to how they react when broken in. The new baseball equipment magazines are out and Junior's new toys cost $300 or so. Roll 'em and add another $75, void the warranty and speed up the process of it finally breaking down completely. Nice.
$75.00 just to roll a bat! Hell, you should be able to get one machined and rolled for about that price.

Just hit off a tee. That will break them in faster.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

One more thing. Some companies dumbed down their BESR bats to BBCOR by inserting a metal ring, to truss up the insides. Rolling those will probably eff them up, and not produce the desired results.

Again, I don't know if rolled bats are considered altered, or not. I've felt rolled bats before, and you can feel the facets, ever so slight, but they're there.

Me, I'm worried about the end caps being removed. That either means a shaved bat, or one that the ring has been removed. Now that's an altered bat.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

If you think rolling a bat isn't altering it you've come under the influence of a mind altering substance.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

I dunno about that. A year ago I would have agreed. But since then the new testing technique is rolling 'til death. Thus, proving that rolling doesn't cause the bat to overperform. Hence, rolling should be legal.

Now, I consider rolling to be akin to a pitcher rubbing up a baseball. Just warmin' it up. (well, maybe not warming it up, as some rulesets have wording prohibiting heating up bats).

p.s. I'm only on my first Blue Moon Pale Ale of the evening.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:19am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
If you think rolling a bat isn't altering it you've come under the influence of a mind altering substance.

Rich:

I agree with you completely. Especially about rolling mind altering substances, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Fair enough, fellas. How 'bout these other techniques?

Hitting 500 of those hard rubber balls at the cages?

Hitting a "heavy bag" time after time?

Hitting a wooden telephone pole repeatedly?

Backing your car over it, repeatedly?

Don't get me wrong, these are all stupid things to do to a kid's $300 stick. But folks do each of them. And given that it's been proven that rolling doesn't alter the performance characteristics beyond the given threshold, I'm inclined to overlook those rippled bats from now on.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Rolling is cheating, plain and simple. It's altering the bat, now being able to detect a rolled bat is another question all together. Unfortunately, manufactures, coaches and dads, have forgot there's more to baseball than the long ball. Still there's a simple solution, it's called wood. And at $300 a pop, that's a lot of wood bats. Than again, coaches and dad's have forgot or never learned how to hit with wood to begin with.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I realize that the bat standards for baseball and softball are not the same, but here is the new terminology for the bat rule in softball:

Quote:
2012 MAJOR EDITORIAL CHANGES

1-5-1c
Clarified that shaving, rolling or artificially warming the bat barrel are prohibited.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"