The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rolling under the play. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100397-rolling-under-play.html)

SNIPERBBB Tue Nov 24, 2015 07:20pm

Rolling under the play.

Apparently OHSAA wants us to roll under(toward endline) a ball handler/defender as T instead of going over(towards division line).

Our local association doesn't seem to be to fond of it, what say you?

billyu2 Tue Nov 24, 2015 07:32pm

Have not heard or read anything to that effect. Who is your source or what site did you get this from?

SNIPERBBB Tue Nov 24, 2015 07:39pm

John Tipton's presentation to our local association.

SNIPERBBB Tue Nov 24, 2015 07:40pm

Also was warning anyone that wanted to do playoffs that they better be parallel to the endline as L

bballref3966 Tue Nov 24, 2015 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 970688)
Apparently OHSAA wants us to roll under(toward endline) a ball handler/defender as T instead of going over(towards division line).

I'm having trouble understanding what this means.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 970692)
Also was warning anyone that wanted to do playoffs that they better be parallel to the endline as L

As in shoulders parallel to the end line? That would look weird when rotating, no?

Isn't Ohio known for having stupid mechanics in football and basketball?

SNIPERBBB Tue Nov 24, 2015 08:38pm

If your trail and to avoid trying to look through the back of the ball handler, you need roll to the top of the match up or under to give you the angle. We are being told to go under, which puts everyone but that match up out of your vision.

Don't know about football but OHSAA mechanics are known for, "you will do NFHS mechanics by the book or you will not do well in playoff assignments"

Camron Rust Tue Nov 24, 2015 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 970697)
If your trail and to avoid trying to look through the back of the ball handler, you need roll to the top of the match up or under to give you the angle. We are being told to go under, which puts everyone but that match up out of your vision.

Don't know about football but OHSAA mechanics are known for, "you will do NFHS mechanics by the book or you will not do well in playoff assignments"

And puts you out of position to get to the other end in the event of a turnover. Trail should trail the play.

scrounge Tue Nov 24, 2015 09:30pm

I haven't heard anything like that kind of blanket edict here in the central district. Maybe it was 'if you have a choice, better under than over' or something, but it's so situation-dependent there can't be one simplistic rule of thumb. In 2 clinics and a few meetings so far, there's hasn't been any such advice. I have heard "don't go above and so far into the court that you risk getting caught up in fast break traffic", but nothing like go under at all times. And the parallel for L is about when standing, not keeping them parallel while rotating.

And no, I don't think they are 'stupid' mechanics at all. Basketball is just straight NFHS book mechanics (with the exception of no long switches in the backcourt). And of course you have to follow them to get playoff assignments - imagine that, following instructions and doing things the right way - as defined by those making the assignments - in order to get assignments.

As to football, ok, I get some don't like the specificity of the football mechanic manual, but I like having a set of common, standard operating procedures that I know everyone has been trained on and evaluated on. I like having the basics covered and a single set of procedures and protocols so I don't have to worry about those when filling in or working with a new person, no matter if they're from this district or not. Just like when I was in the Army and we always carried ammo in the same place, filled our rucks the same way, stowed tools and other items on each vehicle the same way, it's not about being robotic or rigid, it's about having a base of uniformity so that everyone is starting from the same base and on a common page. Of course it's not the only way or even the 'best' way - whatever that is. But it works quite well and most certainly isn't *stupid*.

billyu2 Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:13pm

I attended the annual rules interpreters meeting in Columbus and never heard these directives nor have I received any bulletins or updates saying such. Our director has been a proponent of "squaring" the shoulders for some time but I've never read a statement that says assignments depend on it. Yes it could be one of several factors that might determine an official is not rated high enough to receive regional/state tournament assignments.

crosscountry55 Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:03pm

Rolling under the play.

"Rolling under" is just another term for "opening low." I always do this. You get a great angle between the players on a potential drive, and all you have to do is follow it in while the L is covering the secondary defenders.

I respectfully disagree with Camron about moving up toward the division line. How many times does something of consequence happen up there as compared to the semi circle and below? Why would I want to take myself in the opposite direction from where the basketball is going? Why would I want to observe plays from farther away? And as for getting beat going the other way....an acceptable risk considering there are ways (the button hook, for example) to get good temporary angles while you're transitioning to new lead. And not every transition is a fast break; getting beat is an unfounded fear 85% of the time.

In summary, I love the OHSAA effort to move toward "rolling under." Watched the Marquette/AZ St. game this evening and saw all of the officials doing it. I think JD is advocating it. Three officials in your TV picture will be more common this year and that's why.

On another note, I have NOT seen consensus yet on how to stand as the lead (parallel, modified, or 45). Three camps, three different emphases. Guess ya just gotta do it the way your assigner wants. Wish we could get a more universal opinion on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 970688)

If you pay attention to NBA officials they also try to do this whenever possible.

The only college supervisor I have who really teaches positioning wants us stepping down whenever possible, in the C and the T. I hug the sideline and get below matchups in the Trail.

AremRed Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:52am

Heard from an NBA guy the other night that they have done studies on the number of correct whistles/no calls from Trail either 1) being closer to the division line and stepping onto the court to see the matchup or 2) hugging the sideline and getting below the matchup. He said their call percentage was significantly better from hugging the sideline and getting below the matchup. Take that for what it's worth.

Raymond Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 970711)

On another note, I have NOT seen consensus yet on how to stand as the lead (parallel, modified, or 45). Three camps, three different emphases. Guess ya just gotta do it the way your assigner wants. Wish we could get a more universal opinion on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBA officials have the best positioning, so I like to do what they do. They are always at an angle.

Freddy Wed Nov 25, 2015 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 970720)
Heard from an NBA guy the other night that they have done studies on the number of correct whistles/no calls from Trail either 1) being closer to the division line and stepping onto the court to see the matchup or 2) hugging the sideline and getting below the matchup. He said their call percentage was significantly better from hugging the sideline and getting below the matchup. Take that for what it's worth.

If this had a "Like" button I would click on it.

SNIPERBBB Wed Nov 25, 2015 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 970720)

If that is the rationale , I would be fine with it. But it wasn't expressed that way. Tipton didn't like goings under so he might not been inclined to mention that.

The other thing that was brought up was the L bounce the ball to the throw in on anything on the sideline bow the FTE and the T keeping the count.