The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Clarification of situation

Could someone please clarify a situation for me that occurred today in a local competition. There are quite a number of points of view over this, however I was hoping someone can give the exact ruling (If any rule was broken at all).

With approx 5 secs on the clock, team A were 2 points up. Team B took the ball out of bounds, so team A played the ball in (no issue so far). However as soon as team A took control of the ball the player dropped to the ground and wrapped his body over the ball, making no attempt to play the remaining secs out.

No ruling was made even though Team B attempted to get the ball but couldn't place their hands on the player for fear of drawing a foul (would have been the 6th team foul).

So was any rule broken by team A or just very poor sportmanship?

Best regards and thank you in advance.

Buz
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandylow View Post
Could someone please clarify a situation for me that occurred today in a local competition. There are quite a number of points of view over this, however I was hoping someone can give the exact ruling (If any rule was broken at all).

With approx 5 secs on the clock, team A were 2 points up. Team B took the ball out of bounds, so team A played the ball in (no issue so far). However as soon as team A took control of the ball the player dropped to the ground and wrapped his body over the ball, making no attempt to play the remaining secs out.

No ruling was made even though Team B attempted to get the ball but couldn't place their hands on the player for fear of drawing a foul (would have been the 6th team foul).

Buz
Clarifying your request for clarification...

Team B caused the ball to go out of bounds, so Team A made the ensuing throw in? And you're saying that after Player A1 caught the inbounds pass he dropped to the floor with the ball and covered it up?

Am I reading that correctly?
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Buz
Assuming you mean team A somehow stole the ball as or after it was the thrown in...

Bizarre, but smart play IF the player that dropped to the floor was not holding the ball before falling to the floor. If so, it would have been a travel for falling to the floor while holding the ball.

Aside form that, I don't see anything here. Being clever and intelligent about the game situation is not poor sportsmanship.

The player was playing the remaining seconds out by protecting the ball. The other team should have still tried. You said it would have been the 6th foul if they committed a foul so they may have been able to steal the throwin. They gave up and/or were outsmarted.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Bas2456

That is correct, Team A played the ball in from the side, and after catching the ball player A1 fell over the ball to stop team B getting at the ball for the last few seconds of the game.

Cameron

Thank you, so no rule broken, but maybe a travel.....as for smart maybe, but as this was U14 and full of young kids (between 11-14) still learning the game and the rules, this was purely the coaches call, having called the time out as soon as the ball went out of play (and overheard from my position as the scorer telling the kids how to play it).

As for the 6th team foul (for the quarter), here that will send team A to the free throw line for two shots.....so either way team B couldn't win.

Thanks again for the answers, this is the first time I have seen this happen.

Buz

Last edited by sandylow; Sat Nov 21, 2015 at 04:34am.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bas2456

That is correct, Team A played the ball in from the side, and after catching the ball player A1 fell over the ball to stop team B getting at the ball for the last few seconds of the game.

Cameron

Thank you, so no rule broken, but maybe a travel.....as for smart maybe, but as this was U14 and full of young kids (between 11-14) still learning the game and the rules, this was purely the coaches call, having called the time out as soon as the ball went out of play (and overheard from my position as the scorer telling the kids how to play it).

As for the 6th team foul (for the quarter), here that will send team A to the free throw line for two shots.....so either way team B couldn't win.

Thanks again for the answers, this is the first time I have seen this happen.

Buz
Team B still could have fouled and had a chance. Teams do that all the time. The odds might not be great but team A might miss one or both FTs and then B would have a few seconds left to try to make a field goal.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

Do an Internet search for video of the final seconds of the Georgetown v Villanova 1985 NCAA Championship Game.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Team B still could have fouled and had a chance. Teams do that all the time. The odds might not be great but team A might miss one or both FTs and then B would have a few seconds left to try to make a field goal.

See Memphis v Kansas, 2008 NC game as reference (a).

Sorry, John. Gotta make your free throws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 01:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Surroundsound ???

Could the original poster be confusing his situation with this one:

9.10.1 SITUATION D: Team A, while in possession of the ball in its frontcourt:
(a) positions four players parallel with the sideline and they pass the ball from one
to another with their arms reaching beyond the sideline plane; or (b) has four
teammates surround dribbler A1. In both (a) and (b), the opponents are unable
to get close to the ball. RULING: This is considered to be a closely-guarded
situation and a violation in five seconds in both (a) and (b), if any B player is
within 6 feet of the ball or within 6 feet of the screening teammates and is
attempting to gain control of the ball. Preventing opponents from getting to the
ball by using screening teammates becomes a violation in five seconds if the
opponents are attempting to gain control.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Even if the player remained on his/her feet, it isn't hard to cover the ball so completely by wrapping it up with the arms that the other team can't get to it without fouling.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Do an Internet search for video of the final seconds of the Georgetown v Villanova 1985 NCAA Championship Game.
Nevadaref

Thank you for the suggested video. That is almost the same as what happened in the OP game, only difference was the player took possession first before falling to the ground.

Thanks again guys, you live and learn.

Sandylow
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 10:27am
NFHS Official

Team A inbounded the ball and A1 caught the ball, then fell to the ground? If so it is a traveling violation and Team B gets a throw in.