The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I was browsing this board last week when I came upon a thread discussing HBP's. I don't recall the exact thread, but it addressed the idea of the hand being part of the bat.

Later in the day I was discussing what I had read with another coach. She was under the impression, as was I, that the hand was part of the bat. I tried to recall for her some of the posts I had read earlier in the day. The problem was that I couldn't cite a specific rule or case book play to convince her. Could someone help me out on this?

Also is this rule applicable for attempted bunts as well? Is there any difference between FED and ASA?

BTW, I want to let all you umps out there know that I really have appreciated all the great info I have gotten from this board. It has been very helpful.

[Edited by MisterV on May 10th, 2004 at 10:51 AM]
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterV
Later in the day I was discussing what I had read with another coach. She was adamant that the hand was part of the bat.
Sigh.
Quote:
The problem was that I couldn't cite a specific rule or case book play to convince her. Could someone help me out on this?
ASA 8-1F
NFHS 8-1-2-b

Quote:
Also is this rule applicable for attempted bunts as well? ?
Yes.
Quote:
Is there any difference between FED and ASA?
No.

Quote:
BTW, I want to let all you umps out there know that I really have appreciated all the great info I have gotten from this board. It has been very helpful.
You're quite welcome.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Besides the fact that in any sports shop I have never seen a bat that was sold with hands on it I always wonder why people can think, that the batters hands can be part of that and not of the batter?

But in my (old) ASA rule book it says:
Quote:
F. The batter becomes a batter-runner:
when a pitched ball not swung at nor called a strike touches any part of teh batter's person or clothing. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting the batter. The batter's hands are not to be considered a part of the bat.
I don't have the new one on me but I don't think it changed. As for FED I don't know but I don't think they will argue biology.

Raoul