The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
if he is spread wayy wide and another player wants a spot i will tell him to take a normal stance. He will decide which leg he pulls in. if there is no one on the side of him he can do what he wants.

i've not seen anyone so spread out in 30 years that would make me say anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I think this is the most important part of this discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
agreed. this is all theory..
If a player is spreading his legs out that far, it seems he would be limiting himself more than gaining an advantage. Let 'em.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I was ready to dispute this, but found that Camron Rust is correct. I cannot find any NFHS reference, in either the rulebook, or the casebook, stating that the spaces around the jump ball circle are three feet wide.

The only reference that I could find regarding the width of these spaces is in the IAABO mechanics manual, in diagram form, in the diagram labeled Court As The Official Views It.

I'm pretty good in regard to basketball rules, so why was I so quick to dispute Camron Rust? Has this rule changed over the past thirty-five years, or have I (and Nevadaref, a rules guru if there ever was one) been the victim of another basketball rule myth?

just another ref: What was the answer on the answer sheet, and did it include a reference, or a citation?

Want to chime in on this Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
I'll consult some of my past sources, but I believe that the spaces are intended to be close to three feet wide, but can't by rule because they are curved and thus shorter at the circle than 36 inches away from it.
In other words, they couldn't put the exact width in the book without using 2Pi r.
It's just a geometry thing.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 06:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'll consult some of my past sources, but I believe that the spaces are intended to be close to three feet wide, but can't by rule because they are curved and thus shorter at the circle than 36 inches away from it.
In other words, they couldn't put the exact width in the book without using 2Pi r.
It's just a geometry thing.

Any given space for a Non-Jumper is three feet deep, which means that we can think of an imaginary circle which has the same Center as the Center Circle but has a radius of nine feet.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Lets address the other topic getting lost in this post...does this action (wide stance) constitute "screening"?
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Lets address the other topic getting lost in this post...does this action (wide stance) constitute "screening"?
no it isn't. i only mentioned it as an example of what a proper stance looks like. The rules don't expressly provide an exact width for non jumper spaces around the restraining circle. I don't think it is 6 feet and i don't think it is 12 inches. I think based on other rules in the book, screening, rebounding, verticality it's approximately the width of the players normal stance. that sounds reasonable to me when i consider the book as a whole.

This is all theory. i've never seen it happen in a game. i just made a comment that i don't think the spaces widths are unlimited.