View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I was ready to dispute this, but found that Camron Rust is correct. I cannot find any NFHS reference, in either the rulebook, or the casebook, stating that the spaces around the jump ball circle are three feet wide.

The only reference that I could find regarding the width of these spaces is in the IAABO mechanics manual, in diagram form, in the diagram labeled Court As The Official Views It.

I'm pretty good in regard to basketball rules, so why was I so quick to dispute Camron Rust? Has this rule changed over the past thirty-five years, or have I (and Nevadaref, a rules guru if there ever was one) been the victim of another basketball rule myth?

just another ref: What was the answer on the answer sheet, and did it include a reference, or a citation?

Want to chime in on this Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
I'll consult some of my past sources, but I believe that the spaces are intended to be close to three feet wide, but can't by rule because they are curved and thus shorter at the circle than 36 inches away from it.
In other words, they couldn't put the exact width in the book without using 2Pi r.
It's just a geometry thing.