The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When did they change the correctable error timeframe? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100372-when-did-they-change-correctable-error-timeframe.html)

egj13 Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:49pm

When did they change the correctable error timeframe?

Girls varsity last night, scoreboard does not show total team fouls. Whistle a foul on blue, report to the table no indication that we had reached bonus (I know I should have been aware ahead of time...1st game rust). Give the ball to white for an inbound...ball is inbounded and the girl is called for traveling. The horn blows, table calls me over and tells me it should have been 1 and 1 on the last foul. Crew gets together, puts the girl previously fouled on the foul line, I go to the blue coach and explain what is happening and he says "that isn't right! I used to call ball too, that is absolutely wrong." I explain the whole first dead ball after the first live ball thing..."when the hell did that change? It wasn't like that when I called."

I am not the rules history guy by any means...I can't recall it being different but was it ever?

bballref3966 Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:54pm

I don't know the history of the rules very well, but I wouldn't bank on any coach knowing the history of the correctable error timeframe.

BigCat Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 970236)
Girls varsity last night, scoreboard does not show total team fouls. Whistle a foul on blue, report to the table no indication that we had reached bonus (I know I should have been aware ahead of time...1st game rust). Give the ball to white for an inbound...ball is inbounded and the girl is called for traveling. The horn blows, table calls me over and tells me it should have been 1 and 1 on the last foul. Crew gets together, puts the girl previously fouled on the foul line, I go to the blue coach and explain what is happening and he says "that isn't right! I used to call ball too, that is absolutely wrong." I explain the whole first dead ball after the first live ball thing..."when the hell did that change? It wasn't like that when I called."

I am not the rules history guy by any means...I can't recall it being different but was it ever?

It's been a longgg time if not forever….Did you shoot the free throws with no one on the lane and then give Blue the throw in for the travel? that is a change of possession so you would go to the POI. just checking. thx

egj13 Fri Nov 20, 2015 01:16pm

No we shot the free throw and played on with the rebound. Had a change of possession actually occurred since blue never gained possession? They were never awarded the ball OOB.

Too be honest...this is my first correctable error in so long that I can't recall the last time...if ever! Been calling since 1995 and I don't recall ever having a correctable error situation although I am sure there was somewhere along the way.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Nov 20, 2015 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 970236)

It is not so much that the "time frame" changed; it is the fact the definition of when a Dead Ball became a Live Ball during Throw-in as change.

In "The Ancient Days" the Ball was Dead during a Throw-in and did not become Live until it was touched by a Player on the Court. Now a Dead Ball becomes a Live Ball when it is at the "disposal" of the Thrower.

MTD, Sr.

egj13 Fri Nov 20, 2015 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 970243)
It is not so much that the "time frame" changed; it is the fact the definition of when a Dead Ball became a Live Ball during Throw-in as change.

In "The Ancient Days" the Ball was Dead during a Throw-in and did not become Live until it was touched by a Player on the Court. Now a Dead Ball becomes a Live Ball when it is at the "disposable" of the Thrower.

MTD, Sr.

Makes sense...I recall that change ALL too well! ;)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Nov 20, 2015 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 970244)
Makes sense...I recall that change ALL too well! ;)

You aren't that old are you? :D

MTD, Sr.

BigCat Fri Nov 20, 2015 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 970240)
No we shot the free throw and played on with the rebound. Had a change of possession actually occurred since blue never gained possession? They were never awarded the ball OOB.

Yes, it is considered a change of possession for correctable error purposes. see case plays 2.10.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 20, 2015 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 970240)

Possession isn't specifically defined in the rules. The NFHS should really formalize what they mean by possession as it is used in a few places without being clearly defined. Absent that, it still isn't the same as team control or disposal.

The basic principle is that possession is a status of who deserves the ball at any point in time based on what has happened (a made bucket, an infraction, etc.) Blue earned a possession by way of the travel.

Rob1968 Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:58am

1973 correctable error limited to before the ball again becomes live following the first dead ball after the error

1976 extended time frame to correct an error made while the clock is running

BillyMac Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:58pm

Hacked ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 970293)
1973 correctable error limited to before the ball again becomes live following the first dead ball after the error

1976 extended time frame to correct an error made while the clock is running

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 970285)
1979 Player-control foul limited to the player holding or dribbling the ball

1983 An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try and has not returned to the floor; player control extended to include the airborne shooter

Why is Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. posting under Rob1968's username?

Rob1968 Sun Nov 22, 2015 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 970313)
Why is Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. posting under Rob1968's username?

I'm just supporting a fellow sextigenarian (sp?) . . .

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Nov 22, 2015 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 970399)
I'm just supporting a fellow sextigenarian (sp?) . . .

Who said anything about X-E-S? :eek: Where is Padgett when you need him with an "inappropriate" response?

:p

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:45am

Living Fossils ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 970399)
I'm just supporting a fellow sextigenarian ...

The little blue pill crowd?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 970408)
The little blue pill crowd?

Billy:

Are you in training to replace Padgett? LOL!

MTD, Sr.