The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 09:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Throw-in question

Our study guide was totally redone this year, apparently with the intent of making it significantly more difficult to earn our ratings and the recent pay raise. The study guide was 150 questions, and the test was 70. Some were taken directly from the guide, while others were tweaked to make sure you learned the rule as opposed to memorizing the questions. There was no official answer key, but our assignor obtained an answer sheet from an outside source and posted it for our consideration and to stimulate discussion. I disagreed with 11 out of the 150 true/false answers given. The following question was on the guide, and also appeared on my test. Everybody did not get the same test, as I understand it.

During a throw-in in the frontcourt on the sideline by the bench, B1, defending the pass right along the sideline, deflects the pass up in the air, and the ball enters the basket. Because the throw-in has not ended and team control was not established inbounds, the administering official signals the ball dead and disallows the 3 point basket.

True or false

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Our study guide was totally redone this year, apparently with the intent of making it significantly more difficult to earn our ratings and the recent pay raise. The study guide was 150 questions, and the test was 70. Some were taken directly from the guide, while others were tweaked to make sure you learned the rule as opposed to memorizing the questions. There was no official answer key, but our assignor obtained an answer sheet from an outside source and posted it for our consideration and to stimulate discussion. I disagreed with 11 out of the 150 true/false answers given. The following question was on the guide, and also appeared on my test. Everybody did not get the same test, as I understand it.

During a throw-in in the frontcourt on the sideline by the bench, B1, defending the pass right along the sideline, deflects the pass up in the air, and the ball enters the basket. Because the throw-in has not ended and team control was not established inbounds, the administering official signals the ball dead and disallows the 3 point basket.

True or false
bad question as you know. The throw in has ended when the ball is touched by B1. it doesnt matter that team control wasnt established inbounds. the ball isnt dead. it would never be a 3 point goal because it wasnt a try. it would count as a two assuming time did not expire.
the question overall has to be false.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

False.

score 2 point basket because the throw in did end but it was not a shot attempt.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 10:08pm
We don't rent pigs

This was such a bad question that I didn't know what to think. If you say it's false that they disallowed the 3 point basket does that mean that they scored a 3 point basket? It obviously should be false that the ball should be ruled dead.

THERE WAS NO 3 POINT BASKET TO DISALLOW. I have issues here no matter what the "correct" answer turns out to be.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was such a bad question that I didn't know what to think. If you say it's false that they disallowed the 3 point basket does that mean that they scored a 3 point basket? It obviously should be false that the ball should be ruled dead.

THERE WAS NO 3 POINT BASKET TO DISALLOW. I have issues here no matter what the "correct" answer turns out to be.
i knew the 3 point thing was the issue. what you have to do is break it down. There were 3 things that were wrong and then we get to the goofy part. you know the first things cant be true. dead wrong. have to go with that when you see the goofy part.

in another way, you just know the question cant be true so it has to be false. test writers dont think many times...

Last edited by BigCat; Sat Nov 21, 2015 at 11:39pm.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

lets have another one of the 11 if you have time
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I am not an official. As with all similar questions, I am assuming "true or false" to mean "true or false: the administering official is correct."

The answer is FALSE, because for it to be TRUE, then the rationale of "the throw-in has not ended" must be the correct reason a 3-point basket is not scored.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 02:11am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
lets have another one of the 11 if you have time
Officials observing the court during the pre-game notice that the chairs used for team benches are placed in front of the existing permanent bleachers and that there is only 3 feet of open space in front of the empty chairs. The officials rule that this bench area is legal for the game.

True or False

Spaces for non-jumpers and free throw lane spaces along the free throw lane are the same width and depth.

True or False

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

I would answer true for both questions in post #8.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Officials observing the court during the pre-game notice that the chairs used for team benches are placed in front of the existing permanent bleachers and that there is only 3 feet of open space in front of the empty chairs. The officials rule that this bench area is legal for the game.

True or False

Spaces for non-jumpers and free throw lane spaces along the free throw lane are the same width and depth.

True or False
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I would answer true for both questions in post #8.
I have false for the 2nd one.

The jump circle "spaces" don't have a width. Players within 3 feet of the circle can be at any interval they wish as long as one is not behind the other.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Occupied Space ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The jump circle "spaces" don't have a width.
I was ready to dispute this, but found that Camron Rust is correct. I cannot find any NFHS reference, in either the rulebook, or the casebook, stating that the spaces around the jump ball circle are three feet wide.

The only reference that I could find regarding the width of these spaces is in the IAABO mechanics manual, in diagram form, in the diagram labeled Court As The Official Views It.

I'm pretty good in regard to basketball rules, so why was I so quick to dispute Camron Rust? Has this rule changed over the past thirty-five years, or have I (and Nevadaref, a rules guru if there ever was one) been the victim of another basketball rule myth?

just another ref: What was the answer on the answer sheet, and did it include a reference, or a citation?

Want to chime in on this Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 22, 2015 at 11:25am.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

True or False

True or False
True for the first one. 3 feet is supposed to be the minimum. false for the second one for reasons Cameron stated. As far as width for non jumpers, I do believe non jumpers have to stay within their frame…stay in their spot--cant spread their legs out wide to take up more room. They are entitled to a "spot" on floor not multiple spots.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:45am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I have false for the 2nd one.

The jump circle "spaces" don't have a width. Players within 3 feet of the circle can be at any interval they wish as long as one is not behind the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I was ready to dispute this, but found that Camron Rust is correct. I cannot find any NFHS reference, in either the rulebook, or the casebook, stating that the spaces around the jump ball circle are three feet wide.

The only reference that I could find regarding the width of these spaces is in the IAABO mechanics manual, in diagram form, in the diagram labeled Court As The Official Views It.

I'm pretty good in regard to basketball rules, so why was I so quick to dispute Camron Rust? Has this rule changed over the past thirty-five years, or have I (and Nevadaref, a rules guru if there ever was one) been the victim of another basketball rule myth?

just another ref: What was the answer on the answer sheet, and did it include a reference, or a citation?

Want to chime in on this Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

There has never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley), as far I back as my rules books go, a dimension stated in the rules. What one will find is references to unmarked Lane Spaces along the FT Lane (Yes, young ones, in The Ancient Days some of the FT Lane Spaces were unmarked) and FT Circle.

I do not remember at any time Spaces around the Center Circle and the FT Circles (note: Jump Balls for Held Balls during The Ancient Days) dimensions given for these spaces.

Camron is correct, and I am sure Nevada or Jeff or Tony will confirm.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Could Someone Please Help Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Find His Keys ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I do not remember at any time Spaces around the Center Circle and the FT Circles ...
So? You can't even remember what you had for breakfast this mourning.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Liked It Better When I Thought It Was Three Feet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I do believe non jumpers have to stay within their frame … can't spread their legs out wide to take up more room.
Sounds logical, but, citation please.