The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

1979 Player-control foul limited to the player holding or dribbling the ball

1983 An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try and has not returned to the floor; player control extended to include the airborne shooter
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 08:29pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
To me, this implies that in previous years, a collegiate player could have left the floor, released a shot, then plowed into a defender, been whistled for a PC, have the ball go in the basket, and still have been credited with two points!

Any truth to this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
In NCAAM, yes.
Actually, no. It has never been the case that a player could be charged with a player control foul and still score a basket.

When a player control foul occurs -- in NFHS or NCAA, for as long as I can remember -- the ball is dead immediately.

In previous years, an airborne shooter could release a try then charge into a defender and the basket would count; but that's because it was not a player control foul. Once the try was released, player control ended. So it was simply a common foul with no team control (like a rebounding foul); and if the ball went in, the basket was scored. But if the charge occurred prior to the release of the try, then it was a player control foul (since the shooter was still holding the ball), and no basket could be scored.

This year the definition of "player control foul" was changed to include a common foul by an airborne shooter.

I know I'm being a stickler, and I know Rich and Jet both know this. But I thought it might be important to understand exactly why the old rule yielded that strange result, and it no longer does.