The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2) When the throwin ends (when the passed ball touched, or was legally touched, by another player inbounds).
Read 4-12-3 and 4-12-4. Do they apply?
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 03:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Team Control During A Throwin ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Read 4-12-3 and 4-12-4. Do they apply?
4-12: ART. 3 Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.
ART. 4 While the ball remains live a loose ball always remains in control of
the team whose player last had control, unless it is a try or tap for goal.

Even in a throwin situation where the concept of team control is only necessary for the charging of a team control foul during the throwin?

So, if inbounder A1 has a throwin, passes it onto the court, where it's batted, tipped, and tapped, around, pinball style, by players from both teams, none of whom gains player control, and during which no foul by Team A was charged, then did Team A still maintain team control during that entire sequence of events, even when the throwin ended when it was touched by a player inbounds? So, if Team A fouled during end of this pinball situation, would it still be considered a team control foul, even though the throwin ended?

It seems to me that team control on a throwin, was given, by definition, to the throwin team when the NFHS decided that a foul by Team A during said throwin would be a team control foul with no free throws, and that team control during a throwin was not relevant to other situations, for example, backcourt.

Comments On The 2011-12 Revisions:

TEAM CONTROL DURING A THROW-IN (4-12-1, 2, 6): Several definitions were
changed to reflect that team control will now exist during a throw-in when the
thrower-in has the ball at his/her disposal. The change primarily affects how foul
penalties will be administered.
By changing the definition of player and team control
to include a throw-in, greater consistency in penalty administration for a
common foul is achieved. Under the previous rule, because there was no team
control during a throw-in, the penalty for a common foul committed by the throw
in team after the throw-in had begun resulted in free throws if the offended team
was in the bonus, which was inconsistent with the penalty for a team-control foul
in non-throw-in situations. The rules change will result in greater consistency in
penalty enforcement and expedite the contest by eliminating the delay inherent
with administering free throws.

Hey. I've been known to be wrong before, probably more than once, or twice.

Help me to understand.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 23, 2015 at 06:47am.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4-12: ART. 3 Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.
ART. 4 While the ball remains live a loose ball always remains in control of
the team whose player last had control, unless it is a try or tap for goal.

Even in a throwin situation where the concept of team control is only necessary for the charging of a team control foul during the throwin?

So, if inbounder A1 has a throwin, passes it onto the court, where it's batted, tipped, and tapped, around, pinball style, by players from both teams, none of whom gains player control, and during which no foul by Team A was charged, then did Team A still maintain team control during that entire sequence of events, even when the throwin ended when it was touched by a player inbounds? So, if Team A fouled during end of this pinball situation, would it still be considered a team control foul, even though the throwin ended?

It seems to me that team control on a throwin, was given, by definition, to the throwin team when the NFHS decided that a foul by Team A during said throwin would be a team control foul with no free throws, and that team control during a throwin was not relevant to other situations, for example, backcourt.

Comments On The 2011-12 Revisions:

TEAM CONTROL DURING A THROW-IN (4-12-1, 2, 6): Several definitions were
changed to reflect that team control will now exist during a throw-in when the
thrower-in has the ball at his/her disposal. The change primarily affects how foul
penalties will be administered.
By changing the definition of player and team control
to include a throw-in, greater consistency in penalty administration for a
common foul is achieved. Under the previous rule, because there was no team
control during a throw-in, the penalty for a common foul committed by the throw
in team after the throw-in had begun resulted in free throws if the offended team
was in the bonus, which was inconsistent with the penalty for a team-control foul
in non-throw-in situations. The rules change will result in greater consistency in
penalty enforcement and expedite the contest by eliminating the delay inherent
with administering free throws.

Hey. I've been known to be wrong before, probably more than once, or twice.

Help me to understand.
Look at 4-19-7. "a team control foul is…(including a member of the throw in team from the start of the throw in until PC is obtained inbounds)."

also, the 2014/15 poe mentions that its ONLY purpose is to deal with fouls by throw in team.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 04:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Throwin Team Control ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
4-19-7 ... a team control foul is…(including a member of the throw in team from the start of the throw in until PC is obtained inbounds)...
Nice citation. So while that hot potato ball is pin balling around (how about that for a mixed metaphor) a team control foul can be charged until player control is established?

Quote:
the 2014/15 poe mentions that its ONLY purpose is to deal with fouls by throw in team.
So for purposes other than a team control foul, team control ended when the throw in ended, that is, when the ball was touched by the player at the free throw line?

Two questions marks. Am I on the right track.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nice citation. So while that hot potato ball is pin balling around (how about that for a mixed metaphor) a team control foul can be charged until player control is established?

So for purposes other than a team control foul, team control ended when the throw in ended, that is, when the ball was touched by the player at the free throw line?

Yes.

You need to decide whether they *really* mean "only" in the POE, or whether "primarily" is correct -- with all the examples in the current POE certainly being examples where "no TC" is correct and maybe the play in this thread being an example where "TC" is correct.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not really.....there are effectively two types of team control.

One starts with the throwin....lets call it partial team control. One starts when player control is established inbounds....lets call it full team control.

"Partial TC" only affects fouls. "Full TC" affects everything else. Both end the same way....when the other team gains control, when the ball becomes dead, on a try, etc....

I know I made up some terms here but that is really what is needed to clarify this whole mess. Maybe there are some better words....any ideas?
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

I agree that the NFHS has written that team control from the beginning of a throw-in until an inbounds player controls the ball is only for the purpose of a team control foul, but how is an official from the past five years to know that?

The NFHS is failing to correctly inform numerous new officials, coaches, and players of the rule by failing to update the rules book.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I agree that the NFHS has written that team control from the beginning of a throw-in until an inbounds player controls the ball is only for the purpose of a team control foul, but how is an official from the past five years to know that?

The NFHS is failing to correctly inform numerous new officials, coaches, and players of the rule by failing to update the rules book.
It is a problem. Same thing with the elbow rule. an official won't find anything about an "elbow in motion/movement or stationary…" in the rule or case book. That has been 3 or so years. We'll probably be saying the same thing in a few years about crossing the FT line before the Ft hits rim etc. we'll see if it makes it into the book.

All rules should be in rule book or case book. NCAA books are much better imo.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 05:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's A Rookie Official To Do ???

Quote:
All rules should be in rule book or case book.
Agree. Points of Emphasis are here today, and gone tomorrow.

The NFHS has overly depended on Points of Emphasis, instead of making permanent changes in the rulebook, and/or casebook, over the past few years.