The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Question

Situation: Final Quarter of game, Less than 10 seconds on the clock. Ball is inbounded by trailing team (2 pts) after a goal. They immediately call time-out.

Question: When play resumes and the ball is inbounded, what is the correct location? As long as I can remember the ball is inbounded just behind the half-court line. In this situation the ball was inbounded from under the goal. Am I just clueless?

TIA

[Edited by dsnyder on Dec 7th, 2004 at 12:36 AM]
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 12:37am
Do not give a damn!!

It all depends on where the ball was located at the time the timeout was granted. I think you might be getting the NBA confused. The NBA has a rule that if the game is under 2 minutes (it might be a minute) that the ball would be put at half court. High School and College the rules say to put the ball closest to where the timeout is granted.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

I'm certainly confused (g)...

Maybe I am dreaming but remember this going back to YMCA ball (4th-6th grade) in the late sixties... Thought this was the main reason for call a timeout in this situation?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 12:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Rules do change from time to time.

Well I do not know about the rules in the late 60s. I just know that today the rules outside of the NBA are what I stated in my earlier post. Rules change from time to time.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dsnyder
I'm certainly confused (g)...

Maybe I am dreaming but remember this going back to YMCA ball (4th-6th grade) in the late sixties... Thought this was the main reason for call a timeout in this situation?
lots of rec leagues have their own rules, that they didn't get from the NFHS. I've been reffing 6 years, and it's always been that the ball gets inbounded from the oob spot nearest to where the ball was when the timeout was called.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

Thank you all very much for the replies. Glad to have a resource such as this available. I do remember practicing inbound plays in Junior High as well (South Florida). Similar to practicing your two minute drill in football.

The local public schools do have their own variations on the rules (8th grade / Northern California). Last year there were guidelines on when you could apply a full court press. This year, same league, the rule seems to have been abandoned. Terribly confusing...

It also appears that palming the ball is quite legal here. Asked a ref after a game last year... he said nobody calls it any more.

Thanks again.