The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Illinois Military Veterans Sports Officials

Just wanted to put it out that Illinois has a new Path that can be worn with sport specific uniform's recognizing Military Veterans who officiate in Illinois. I think its a wonderful gesture on the IHSA part to recognize Illinois Officials who have, or in my case still serve. I recieved mine in the mail yesterday. First patch is free and you can purchase more with a CC over the phone. More detailed info is on the IHSA webiste, but all you need to do is email in a copy of your DD214 and they will mail you a patch.

Do any other states recognize veterans in this or any other manner?

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

That's pretty cool! I am active Air Force myself...we don't have anything like this in my current state or any other state I have called in but I think it would be kind of cool.

I checked out the press release and I like that it is small and conservative. I also like the second initiative in which they are going to grant one free membership renewal to veterans as well. I actually just emailed the link to my state office to see if they would consider something similar here.

http://www.ihsa.org/NewsMedia/Announ...ense-Fees.aspx

Last edited by egj13; Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 01:42pm.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
That's pretty cool! I am active Air Force myself...we don't have anything like this in my current state or any other state I have called in but I think it would be kind of cool.

I checked out the press release and I like that it is small and conservative. I also like the second initiative in which they are going to grant one free membership renewal to veterans as well. I actually just emailed the link to my state office to see if they would consider something similar here.

IHSA Recognizes Military Veteran Officials With Commemorative Patch, Waives License Fees > IHSA
Thank you for your service, and good luck I hope they take it into consideration! I have always been a little envious of you AF guys. When I was talking to one of my AF counterparts overseas I found out he got an allowance for living below a certain standard. Even though we were all in the same combat zone, INCREDIBLE!

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

The ISHA ought to also bestow a special patch to those men who are Firemen, the Poe-poe (police), and government employees whom are also refs. But then again, folks will start to say: why not also give a special honorarium patch to refs who are "single moms", "red cross members", and the such.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
Thank you for your service, and good luck I hope they take it into consideration! I have always been a little envious of you AF guys. When I was talking to one of my AF counterparts overseas I found out he got an allowance for living below a certain standard. Even though we were all in the same combat zone, INCREDIBLE!
Well not to call your counterpart out but there is no such allowance. I will say however...simply living in our tents compared to Army/Marine tents is an "allowance" in itself. I was in Afghanistan and we had 4 people in a tent...AC, TV, DVD player, plywood walls and doors. The Marines were living in circus tents, 100 per, with no AC!

When I was stationed on an Army post the rumor was that I received extra pay for living in Army housing...I never corrected them, it was fun to watch them scratch their heads!
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 07:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
Do any other states recognize veterans in this or any other manner?
Not in VA, and we have a good many veteran's in our association.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 08:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
The ISHA ought to also bestow a special patch to those men who are Firemen, the Poe-poe (police), and government employees whom are also refs. But then again, folks will start to say: why not also give a special honorarium patch to refs who are "single moms", "red cross members", and the such.
Once a Veteran, always a veteran for the most part. You can change or lose professions.

They also have patches for state final officials, so I would guess they do not want to just have multiple patches warn all over the place for something that can change.

I have required a guy on my football crew to wear one or we are going to have to fine him or something.

But this is not totally unusual to have a distinction on some non-military uniform to have some distinction for the military. A single mom can stop being single by getting married or living with someone.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 10:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Not in VA, and we have a good many veteran's in our association.
The VHSL would lose a lot income with amount of vets officiating in this state.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

I heard back from FHSAA and they are going to take this proposal to the officials advisory committee.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 07:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I would never wear such a patch, but to each his own.