The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Coach requests a timeout

Team A coach requests a timeout to question a correctable error. Coach is out of timeouts and he is proven wrong on his question. Is coach A charged with a technical foul or do u just play on? If possible please reference a rule. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Coach requests a timeout

Interesting theoretical question.

Practically speaking, most coaches don't even know they have this tool at their disposal. CE situations are most often realized when a light bulb goes on over the head of the scorer or an official (or a coach yells to either which causes said light bulb to go on), and then the scorer or the official initiate the inquiry which renders moot the timeout issue.

I doubt I'll ever have to charge a coach a TO for a failed CE inquiry.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Wed Nov 11, 2015 at 10:11pm.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:08pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
Team A coach requests a timeout to question a correctable error. Coach is out of timeouts and he is proven wrong on his question. Is coach A charged with a technical foul or do u just play on? If possible please reference a rule. Thanks in advance.

There's no such thing as a coach's challenge in basketball. If you want to stop play in order to check on a correctable error that's fine, but if a team is out of timeouts you don't give them one... for anything.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Interesting theoretical question.

Practically speaking, most coaches don't even know they have this tool at their disposal. CE situations are most often realized when a light bulb goes on over the head of the scorer or an official (or a coach yells to either which causes said light bulb to go on), and then the scorer or the official initiate the inquiry which renders moot the timeout issue.

I doubt I'll ever have to charge a coach a TO for a failed CE inquiry.

Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
There's no such thing as a coach's challenge in basketball. If you want to stop play in order to check on a correctable error that's fine, but if a team is out of timeouts you don't give them one... for anything.

Rule 5 gives the coach the right to challenge a correctable error.

Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...if a team is out of timeouts you don't give them one... for anything.
Is this just your personal philosophy?
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanv21 View Post
...if a team is out of timeouts you don't give them one... For anything.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:39pm
Stubborn Member

Stopping play to check on a CE is different than granting a timeout, then not charging it if the challenge is correct.

If a team is out of timeouts you don't grant them one.

The problem is the whole "time out" thing. Leave that out and we're fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I don't have my rules book handy, but I'm assuming that says something along the lines of "Grant the timeout and assess a technical foul"?
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I don't have my rules book handy, but I'm assuming that says something along the lines of "Grant the timeout and assess a technical foul"?
Correct. I don't know what all this other chatter is. If a coach goes to the scorer's table to correct an error and he is wrong, a time-out is charged (not granted). If he is out of time-outs it is an excessive time-out and adjudicate as such.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:14pm
Stubborn Member

I'm not saying I'm right, but where is this "coaches challenge" type thing you're talking about?

If a coach wants to check on a rule that's fine, but that's not the same as a time out being charged based on whether he was right or not.

10.1.7 only refers to a tech being charged for requesting an excess timeout. Nothing about it relating to a CE or other rule question by a coach.

Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Bryan, forget the CE aspect of things for a second.

You keep saying things like, "If a team is out of timeouts, don't grant them one."

Where are you coming up with that? It has no basis.

As for how to handle the OP, BadNewsRef explained it perfectly.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post

There correct answer to your question is as follows:

1) The Rules (NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's) allows Team A's HC to leave Team A's Bench Area to confer with Table Personnel to request a TO with regard to a possible CE (or AP Arrow mistake).

2) Upon being notified of A-HC's request, the Game Officials (GOs) will instruct the Timer to start timing a TO: i) if Team A has any Full TOs the Timer will start timing a Full TO; or ii) if Team A has only Thirty-Second TOs left the Timer will start timing a Thirty-Second TO; or if Team A has no TOs left then the Timer will start timing a Full TO.

3) If there is a CE and it is discovered before the CE time limit has expired, the CE is corrected and Team A is not charged with a TO and the game is resumed immediately.

4a) If there is a CE and it is discovered after the CE time limit has expired, the CE cannot be corrected, and Team A is charged with a TO.

4b) If there is no CE, Team A is charged with a TO.

If 4a or 4b occurs and there is time remaining in the TO, Team A is entitled to the remaining time in the TO based upon whether the TO is either (i), (ii), or (iii).

If 4a or 4b occurs and there is no time remaining in the TO, and the game is resumed immediately.

If (iii) occurs in either 4a or 4b Team A is charged with an excess TO. And the game is resumed with Team B shooting FTs as the result of the TF due to Team A's excess TO.

The applicable NFHS Rules are: R2-S10; R5-S8-A4; and R10-S5-A1c.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Nov 11, 2015 at 11:47pm. Reason: Added NFHS rules citations.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:42pm
beware big brother

Quote:
I'm not saying I'm right, but where is this "coaches challenge" type thing you're talking about?

If a coach wants to check on a rule that's fine, but that's not the same as a time out being charged based on whether he was right or not.

10.1.7 only refers to a tech being charged for requesting an excess timeout. Nothing about it relating to a CE or other rule question by a coach.

It is a good thing you aren't saying you are right, because you are not right. Perhaps you should spend a little more time in the rule book before making such bold statements.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Have you ever read the whole CE section of the rule book?