View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
Team A coach requests a timeout to question a correctable error. Coach is out of timeouts and he is proven wrong on his question. Is coach A charged with a technical foul or do u just play on? If possible please reference a rule. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There correct answer to your question is as follows:

1) The Rules (NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's) allows Team A's HC to leave Team A's Bench Area to confer with Table Personnel to request a TO with regard to a possible CE (or AP Arrow mistake).

2) Upon being notified of A-HC's request, the Game Officials (GOs) will instruct the Timer to start timing a TO: i) if Team A has any Full TOs the Timer will start timing a Full TO; or ii) if Team A has only Thirty-Second TOs left the Timer will start timing a Thirty-Second TO; or if Team A has no TOs left then the Timer will start timing a Full TO.

3) If there is a CE and it is discovered before the CE time limit has expired, the CE is corrected and Team A is not charged with a TO and the game is resumed immediately.

4a) If there is a CE and it is discovered after the CE time limit has expired, the CE cannot be corrected, and Team A is charged with a TO.

4b) If there is no CE, Team A is charged with a TO.

If 4a or 4b occurs and there is time remaining in the TO, Team A is entitled to the remaining time in the TO based upon whether the TO is either (i), (ii), or (iii).

If 4a or 4b occurs and there is no time remaining in the TO, and the game is resumed immediately.

If (iii) occurs in either 4a or 4b Team A is charged with an excess TO. And the game is resumed with Team B shooting FTs as the result of the TF due to Team A's excess TO.

The applicable NFHS Rules are: R2-S10; R5-S8-A4; and R10-S5-A1c.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Nov 11, 2015 at 11:47pm. Reason: Added NFHS rules citations.