The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 27, 2015, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

subs in?

rookie question: if an official hears a coach say "side out" (maybe calling a play or something) and grants that coach a timeout by mistake, I know that we just continue play at that point. but what if the coach wants to sub in some players.. allowed?? thank you!
Old Sun Sep 27, 2015, 10:19pm
NFHS Official

I'm letting them in.
Old Sun Sep 27, 2015, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Why wouldn't the substitution be allowed?
Old Sun Sep 27, 2015, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Why wouldn't the substitution be allowed?
just seems like an unfair advantage to the coach should he/she decide to sub in players

Last edited by kstiles99; Sun Sep 27, 2015 at 11:21pm.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 12:11am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
just seems like an unfair advantage to the coach should he/she decide to sub in players
True, but there are tons of other things that seem unfair from a certain perspective that are allowed by rule. In this situation a sub is allowed by rule, so let them in!
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 01:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
rookie question: if an official hears a coach say "side out" (maybe calling a play or something) and grants that coach a timeout by mistake, I know that we just continue play at that point. but what if the coach wants to sub in some players.. allowed?? thank you!
Actually if you grant a timeout in this case, you are supposed to stick with the timeout. But that is another issue for another day. But yes you would allow the subs in the game. It is an accidental whistle, nothing prevents a sub from coming in at that point or if you properly give the timeout.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 05:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Was I Dreaming This ???

Quote:
... if an official hears a coach say "side out" (maybe calling a play or something) and grants that coach a timeout by mistake, I know that we just continue play at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Actually if you grant a timeout in this case, you are supposed to stick with the timeout.
I am certain that there is a NFHS interpretation that states that the granting of the timeout can be rescinded in this specific case of a coach who did not actually request a timeout. Unfortunately, I can't find a rule, or casebook interpretation, citation to support my interpretation. How about a little help out there guys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I am certain that there is a NFHS interpretation that states that the granting of the timeout can be rescinded in this specific case of a coach who did not actually request a timeout. Unfortunately, I can't find a rule, or casebook interpretation, citation to support my interpretation. How about a little help out there guys?
5.8.3 SITUATION E:

A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official; or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling "side out" offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out.

RULING: In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and granted; once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams. Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped. In (b), an inadvertent whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)

Last edited by PG_Ref; Mon Sep 28, 2015 at 07:05am.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAA has some rules restricting subs in the last minute of play (the specifics vary between NCAAM and NCAAW).

FED has no such restrictions.

And, yes, rescind the TO request.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 09:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
5.8.3 SITUATION E:

A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official; or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling "side out" offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out.

RULING: In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and granted; once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams. Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped. In (b), an inadvertent whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)
Well that is a change and I am glad because no one did that in good conscious. I never did that and would never do that moving forward when clearly the mistake is ours.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well that is a change and I am glad because no one did that in good conscious. I never did that and would never do that moving forward when clearly the mistake is ours.

Peace
I think it's been in the book for 20 years at least.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 04:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It has not been that long as I had a conversation about this when I did not grant a timeout and a veteran told me about the casebook. This conversation took place in the 90s and did not change for some time as it was still in the book.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
This casebook ruling is about four years old.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It has not been that long as I had a conversation about this when I did not grant a timeout and a veteran told me about the casebook. This conversation took place in the 90s and did not change for some time as it was still in the book.

Peace
If somebody asks for a TO and you blow whistle, rule obligates you to give it/enforce it...even if they didnt have ball, control etc. Even if you shouldnt have blown the whistle for them.
If they didnt ask for a TO but you thought they did then you put ball in play at POI.

This has been the rule for a long time.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Quote:
Ummm. Half of the 90s were at least 20 years ago.

Getting old stinks, doesn't it? What seems like 5 years ago turns out to be 20.