The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   subs in? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100141-subs.html)

kstiles99 Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:12pm

subs in?

rookie question: if an official hears a coach say "side out" (maybe calling a play or something) and grants that coach a timeout by mistake, I know that we just continue play at that point. but what if the coach wants to sub in some players.. allowed?? thank you! :D

OKREF Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:19pm

I'm letting them in.

bballref3966 Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:19pm

Why wouldn't the substitution be allowed?

kstiles99 Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 967176)
Why wouldn't the substitution be allowed?

just seems like an unfair advantage to the coach should he/she decide to sub in players

AremRed Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstiles99 (Post 967177)
just seems like an unfair advantage to the coach should he/she decide to sub in players

True, but there are tons of other things that seem unfair from a certain perspective that are allowed by rule. In this situation a sub is allowed by rule, so let them in!

JRutledge Mon Sep 28, 2015 01:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstiles99 (Post 967174)
rookie question: if an official hears a coach say "side out" (maybe calling a play or something) and grants that coach a timeout by mistake, I know that we just continue play at that point. but what if the coach wants to sub in some players.. allowed?? thank you! :D

Actually if you grant a timeout in this case, you are supposed to stick with the timeout. But that is another issue for another day. But yes you would allow the subs in the game. It is an accidental whistle, nothing prevents a sub from coming in at that point or if you properly give the timeout. ;)

Peace

BillyMac Mon Sep 28, 2015 05:55am

Was I Dreaming This ???

Quote:

... if an official hears a coach say "side out" (maybe calling a play or something) and grants that coach a timeout by mistake, I know that we just continue play at that point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 967179)
Actually if you grant a timeout in this case, you are supposed to stick with the timeout.

I am certain that there is a NFHS interpretation that states that the granting of the timeout can be rescinded in this specific case of a coach who did not actually request a timeout. Unfortunately, I can't find a rule, or casebook interpretation, citation to support my interpretation. How about a little help out there guys?

PG_Ref Mon Sep 28, 2015 07:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 967181)
I am certain that there is a NFHS interpretation that states that the granting of the timeout can be rescinded in this specific case of a coach who did not actually request a timeout. Unfortunately, I can't find a rule, or casebook interpretation, citation to support my interpretation. How about a little help out there guys?

5.8.3 SITUATION E:

A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official; or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling "side out" offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out.

RULING: In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and granted; once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams. Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped. In (b), an inadvertent whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)

bob jenkins Mon Sep 28, 2015 09:16am

Quote:

NCAA has some rules restricting subs in the last minute of play (the specifics vary between NCAAM and NCAAW).

FED has no such restrictions.

And, yes, rescind the TO request.

JRutledge Mon Sep 28, 2015 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 967182)
5.8.3 SITUATION E:

A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official; or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling "side out" offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out.

RULING: In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and granted; once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams. Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped. In (b), an inadvertent whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)

Well that is a change and I am glad because no one did that in good conscious. I never did that and would never do that moving forward when clearly the mistake is ours.

Peace

bob jenkins Mon Sep 28, 2015 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 967185)
Well that is a change and I am glad because no one did that in good conscious. I never did that and would never do that moving forward when clearly the mistake is ours.

Peace

I think it's been in the book for 20 years at least.

JRutledge Mon Sep 28, 2015 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 967206)

It has not been that long as I had a conversation about this when I did not grant a timeout and a veteran told me about the casebook. This conversation took place in the 90s and did not change for some time as it was still in the book.

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Sep 28, 2015 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 967185)

Peace

This casebook ruling is about four years old.

BigCat Mon Sep 28, 2015 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 967217)
It has not been that long as I had a conversation about this when I did not grant a timeout and a veteran told me about the casebook. This conversation took place in the 90s and did not change for some time as it was still in the book.

Peace

If somebody asks for a TO and you blow whistle, rule obligates you to give it/enforce it...even if they didnt have ball, control etc. Even if you shouldnt have blown the whistle for them.
If they didnt ask for a TO but you thought they did then you put ball in play at POI.

This has been the rule for a long time.

crosscountry55 Mon Sep 28, 2015 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 967206)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 967217)

Ummm. Half of the 90s were at least 20 years ago. :p

Getting old stinks, doesn't it? What seems like 5 years ago turns out to be 20.