Thread: subs in?
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I am certain that there is a NFHS interpretation that states that the granting of the timeout can be rescinded in this specific case of a coach who did not actually request a timeout. Unfortunately, I can't find a rule, or casebook interpretation, citation to support my interpretation. How about a little help out there guys?
5.8.3 SITUATION E:

A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official; or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling "side out" offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out.

RULING: In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and granted; once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams. Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped. In (b), an inadvertent whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)

Last edited by PG_Ref; Mon Sep 28, 2015 at 07:05am.