Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 15, 2015, 01:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
First time it happens, tell the kid not to do it. Tell the coach that it is a violation and that the POE says to call it one. After that, I doubt it will happen again, if it does, call a violation and it will stop.
I want more direction from my state before I do such a thing. Otherwise the POE is like it does not exist.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 15, 2015, 02:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
First time it happens, tell the kid not to do it. Tell the coach that it is a violation and that the POE says to call it one. After that, I doubt it will happen again, if it does, call a violation and it will stop.
First time what happens? He crosses that line? He crosses that line and makes illegal contact with the shooter?

Because it's going to be pretty hard to cross that line without making contact.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2015, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Because it's going to be pretty hard to cross that line without making contact.
Disagree. I do agree that it will be hard to make contact without crossing the line.

And, I sure hope there's a clarifying play or two in the annual interps that come out about mid-November. Until then, I won't really give it much thought.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2015, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Nevermind... i posted without thinking. My bad....

Last edited by Texref; Tue Sep 15, 2015 at 06:16pm. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 12:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Disagree. I do agree that it will be hard to make contact without crossing the line.

And, I sure hope there's a clarifying play or two in the annual interps that come out about mid-November. Until then, I won't really give it much thought.
Well most FT shooters are close to the line. So unless they back up immediately after the shot, they are going to be standing right over the line. So there is likely to be some kind of contact and if you wish you can call a foul and stop all that mess.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What does the rule say?

There is your answer. I do not give a darn what a POE says that will be gone the following year.

To me this what like when the NF several years ago used the term "moving screen" in their wording in a POE but never mentioned how that was not a rulebook term or even applied to the rule. Then the next year the POE was gone and the rule never was changed. Funny we have not heard or seen that kind of wording about screens sense.

Peace
Sounds good to me.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 10:09am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
This sounds like a really bad idea. If I'm the coach, and you're telling me you saw a violation and didn't call it, then who's to say what other violations you're seeing and not calling.... for my team.

Perhaps you're referring to lower level games, where you may be a little lax on the rules, but there's no way I'm doing that in a varsity contest.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 12:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
This sounds like a really bad idea. If I'm the coach, and you're telling me you saw a violation and didn't call it, then who's to say what other violations you're seeing and not calling.... for my team.
I'm not telling the coach anything, regardless of how I handle it.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 12:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Perhaps you're referring to lower level games, where you may be a little lax on the rules, but there's no way I'm doing that in a varsity contest.
You act as though we have huge rule discussions with coaches on the court. I've probably worked over 1000 varsity contests over the last 20 years and this doesn't cause me one bit of angst. Call it...or don't call it....and move on.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 12:49pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You act as though we have huge rule discussions with coaches on the court. I've probably worked over 1000 varsity contests over the last 20 years and this doesn't cause me one bit of angst. Call it...or don't call it....and move on.
What are talking about? "Huge rule discussions"? I'm just saying that I'm not going to tell a coach that I saw a violation and didn't call it, because if the other coach hears me say that he's probably going to take issue with it (and rightfully so). So why open up that can of worms?
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 02:27pm
NFHS Official

I think the purpose of the POE is to get in line with the violation for crossing over the 3 point line and into the free throw semi circle prior to the ball hitting the rim. What the POE is effectively saying is, its a violation to enter the free throw semi circle from both behind the 3 point line and from crossing over the free throw line. Just for what its worth, we were told at a camp in June that this is a violation and it needed to be called.

Last edited by OKREF; Wed Sep 16, 2015 at 02:30pm.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 02:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I think the purpose of the POE is to get in line with the violation for crossing over the 3 point line and into the free throw semi circle prior to the ball hitting the rim. What the POE is effectively saying is, its a violation to enter the free throw semi circle from both behind the 3 point line and from crossing over the free throw line. Just for what its worth, we were told at a camp in June that this is a violation and it needed to be called.
Are they instructing you to ignore the contact?
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 03:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What are talking about? "Huge rule discussions"? I'm just saying that I'm not going to tell a coach that I saw a violation and didn't call it, because if the other coach hears me say that he's probably going to take issue with it (and rightfully so). So why open up that can of worms?
Why do you need to tell the coach anything? Do you tell them something everything you call a violation they do not like?

Peace
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 05:21pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why do you need to tell the coach anything? Do you tell them something everything you call a violation they do not like?

Peace
What is going on?

In my first post I said that I would never tell a coach that I didn't call a violation, but would call it next time. And somehow that got twisted into me having "huge rule discussions" with coaches, and now I'm getting interrogated about telling coaches anything.

Let's try again...

I'm NOT telling the coaches anything. I'm ESPECIALLY not telling them that I saw a violation and did not call it... Which is what OKREF said, and I replied to.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 05:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What is going on?

In my first post I said that I would never tell a coach that I didn't call a violation, but would call it next time. And somehow that got twisted into me having "huge rule discussions" with coaches, and now I'm getting interrogated about telling coaches anything.

Let's try again...

I'm NOT telling the coaches anything. I'm ESPECIALLY not telling them that I saw a violation and did not call it... Which is what OKREF said, and I replied to.
I did not say anything about having a huge discussion, that was someone else. But if I call or do not call something, I am not having a discussion with the coach as to why. And I am not going to talk about why I did or did not do something earlier.

Peace
Closed Thread