The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Someone on this board said that the first varsity year would be the most fun year ever, and I must admit it has been. Tonight Varsity Girls, stands were crowded, not packed, but fans were noisy and enthusiastic. Girls played hard in a close fought game. We called the fouls more or less even until the fourth quarter when the visitors really got rough. But the fouls were all clear and easy calls. We didn't lose our cool, the game was won in the last few seconds, and the whole thing was a blast from start to finish. Life is definitely good.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Congrats and hope we hear about your post season state tournament officiating soon.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 02:13am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Hard work pays off. Congratulations!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Someone on this board said that the first varsity year would be the most fun year ever, and I must admit it has been. Tonight Varsity Girls, stands were crowded, not packed, but fans were noisy and enthusiastic. Girls played hard in a close fought game. We called the fouls more or less even until the fourth quarter when the visitors really got rough. But the fouls were all clear and easy calls. We didn't lose our cool, the game was won in the last few seconds, and the whole thing was a blast from start to finish. Life is definitely good.
Juulie, I have to agree with you completely. Had a game the other night like this and the feeling began before the actual tip-off. Large crowd, big rivalry, young lady singing the national anthem (put Whitney to shame), sending goosebumps down your spine. I know some officials say, "it's just a girl's game", but it is still a great feeling. BTW, I have only had 2 BV games all year, but I didn't care -- paid the same for girl's game.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Glad to hear it went well, Juulie. I was hoping for ya!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 12:47pm
Esteemed Participant

Way to go Juulie...told you all that hard work was gonna pay off in a big way!!!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Way to go Juulie...told you all that hard work was gonna pay off in a big way!!!
When I read all these responses, I was surprised, since I didn't expect personal kudos, just agreement that this is, indeed, a great hobby. But then I realized that part of the fun for me IS doing a great job, and knowing it. It just feels good to nail a couple tough calls, to know the rules in an unusual situation, and to work well with a partner. Virtue is absolutely it's own reward. At least, in basketball reffing!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 06:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Let me guess, Juulie. You had OC vs. LO and you worked with ABC.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Did I win?

[Edited by oc on Feb 13th, 2004 at 07:13 PM]
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And you missed it!
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Quote:
Did I win?

[Edited by oc on Feb 13th, 2004 at 07:13 PM]
Actually OC lost their first game in Oregon for about 135 years, week or two ago, beaten by LO. They play again next week. Can lightning strike twice?
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Haven't had the year you've had as the first year is definitely the best but I have had a good week!

Tuesday night - replacing a friend for a game in the school system I just went to work in. #10 4A boys team in the state vs. the home team on Senior night. Game is back and forth all night. Visitors, down 5 with two minutes to go, get two steals and tie it with 1:18 to play. Home missing an 8 footer at the buzzer and lose by 1.

Friday night - Senior night, again, for home team. Game is back and forth all night. Home team coach is very irritating. In the 3rd, he complained to me about one of my partners who he said was staring him down. I replied, "Well, do you think that maybe he's tired of your officiating. I know I am." Didn't hear much from him after that. In any case, his team hits a 3 at the end of regulation to send it to OT. The visitors hit a 3 at the end of the OT to send it to a second OT. Home team misses a 3 that would have won it at the end of 2nd OT, losing by 2.

Yep, a good week.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Congrats Rainmaker,
I'm a year or two behind you and working hard to catch up!
It's competitive as heck in Lou, KY to make the Varsity Roster. This is my first year in the KBOA High School association, second year of high school and third year of grade school Catholic league.
Will be working the 8TH GRADE BOYS #2 AA DIVISION City Championship tonight! It'll be standing room only and ROCKING!
I'm stoked!
Ballen
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ballen
Will be working the 8TH GRADE BOYS #2 AA DIVISION City Championship tonight! It'll be standing room only and ROCKING! I'm stoked!
You HAVE been working hard to get this kind of game in your first year! Enjoy every minute of it, and be sure to let us know how it goes... er,... went!
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

The reasons to work hard at this are so obvious. This is rewarding.