The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

3rd Strike Caught on the Bounce

HS game, no outs, no runners

Pitcher throws a ball in the dirt that bounces in front of the plate and is caught by the catcher, the batter has swung. the umpire hollers strike 3 with his fist in the air. Coach instructs catcher to throw the ball around . Batter ruled safe at first. What should the proper sequence have been? Confusion caused by third strike call then fist in the air.
Thanks

Easygoer
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

A pitch that bounces cannot be a caught strike (well, unless the pitch is then foul tipped)
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 09:25pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
A pitch that bounces cannot be a caught strike (well, unless the pitch is then foul tipped)
Bob is correct.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Bob is correct that it is not a caught strike however, it is a strike and in this case strike three. The confusion may have been the fact that the umpire indicated an out on the play (closed fist) but, there was also confusion by the player and coach not knowing the rules about a third strike not caught by a catcher.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 09:50am
Stop staring at me swan.

Players are responsible for knowing the situation.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire should signal strike, and then signal and say "no catch" to signify to all that it is not a caught third strike.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 09:27pm
Coach Paul

Some umpires signal each strike with a fist. I don't like that. We point and verbalize or simply verbalize the strike. With a ball in the dirt offered at by the batter we verbalize clearly "strike three" but don't ring him up like we would on a caught third strike. In the absence of the emphatic call, both the catcher and the hitter know something remains unsettled and there is still action to be taken
Baseball Instructor / Coach
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

why did the umpire give a verbal on a swinging strike?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 10:01pm
Coach Paul

Verbalize called strikes and 3rd strikes not caught. We call it strike three because that's what it is. Instead of stating what it isn't, we say what it is. It's also not a home run, but we don't say "not a homer." There are a lot of things it isn't but only one thing it is....strike three.

Last edited by CoachPaul; Sun Mar 22, 2015 at 10:06pm.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 10:10pm
Coach Paul

Some umpires signal each strike with a fist. I don't like that. We point and verbalize or simply verbalize the strike. With a ball in the dirt offered at by the batter we verbalize clearly "strike three" but don't ring him up like we would on a called third strike. In the absence of the emphatic call, both the catcher and the hitter know something remains unsettled and there is still action to be taken.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 06:54am
Stop staring at me swan.

The hammer is what is taught at umpire schools. If it's good enough for them it should be good enough for the rest of us. (no offense to the pointers out there)

Players and coaches are responsible for knowing the situation.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 07:18am
Coach Paul

I certainly don't disagree in principle. One thing to consider is that the fist is widely understood as the signal for an out by most youngsters and everyone in the stands.Using it for strikes can become confusing for the hitter especially on a questionable dropped third strike. If there is a mechanic that requires a supporting mechanic or declaration we really need to examine it. For the most part, when players know the situation, the mechanic is less relevant. In youth sports, often the pitcher and hitter are unsure of the counts even though we tell them every other pitch or when there are 2 strike counts or 3 ball counts. Neither way is without potential for confusion. Do what works best most often in your area and try to get everyone on your board on the same page.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaul View Post
Using it for strikes can become confusing for the hitter especially on a questionable dropped third strike.
The hitter (and the catcher) isn't looking at the umpire in this situation.

Unless it's obvious (e.g., the ball is at the backstop), give whatever your normal strike signal and call is (no "call" on a swing, I would hope), and then say "no catch" or "the ball's in the dirt" and give the safe signal.

If it's close but was caught, you can say "that's a catch" to (help) avoid further play.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I just re-read the OP. My call would be a verbal "strike three, no catch" with a safe signal. I would not bring up the hammer at all until after the out. (and i use the hammer for strikes)
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaul View Post
Verbalize called strikes and 3rd strikes not caught. We call it strike three because that's what it is. Instead of stating what it isn't, we say what it is. It's also not a home run, but we don't say "not a homer." There are a lot of things it isn't but only one thing it is....strike three.
Don't number your strikes or your balls. Simply call the pitch. As others have said it is the players and coaches responsibility to know situations. The only verbalization needed in this situation is "no catch" and a safe sign.