The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

this is a 13-15 y/o summer league playing FED rules

i'm just the momma looking to clarify some things in my mind.

#1: runner on 2B and caught in run-down between 2 and 3. as running back towards 2B, runner looks over shoulder as F5 (i think) throws ball to F6/F4 (not sure) and runner is hit in face with ball. F6/F4 p/u ball and tags runner out as the runner is doubled over holding his face. is he out or is it obstruction/interference?

#2: 1 out, runners on 1B (R2) and 2B (R1), dropped 3rd strike and batter runs to 1st motion and yelling for runner on 1st to go. I know that if 1B is occupied, dropped 3rd strike is a mute point, but sometimes the kids don't know if they are coming or going, when dropped 3rd strike was added to their rules, the coach made them run on every 3rd strike to get the feel for it. the officials let the play progress, R2 heads to 2B as F2 throws to F3 for "the out on the batter," R2 is waving/yelling for R1 to go to 3B, R2 is run down and tagged by F3...comedy of errors here so to speak, the coaches never gave the runners directions they stood there and watched the play progress, the PU did not call the batter out at the plate, B1 is out, R2 was declared out because he was advancing at his own risk, inning over...spoke with the PU (HS player) between innings and he said he didn't have to call the batter out, the batter should know the rules and that he is unable to run because 1B is occupied, he also said the umpires did not call the HS players out at the plate on a dropped 3rd strike when 1B is occupied...i then told him that my biggest problem was that he was not verbal enough..i sit 1/2 way down 1b line and keep the books - i am unable to hear his ball/strike calls and said that if i can't hear the calls the players have trouble hearing them as well...my daughter plays fastpitch softball and those officials are very vocal-you can even hear calls from the other fields...i don't know if the coaches are using this as a teaching experience, if they don't know the rules themselves,or if they don't care or just what but it is very frustrating as a parent when your child wants to play ball and the only team in your town is coached by someone who acts like they don't really want to be there

#3 in-field fly: how is the best way to explain this call to the kids? we have had this happen several times and even 2x in one game (once for each team) where on ball was called in-field fly and the other was not. we as parents are confused re:this and you know the kids are too.

saw #2 and #3 occur in our JH school ball program also (different coaches)

thanks for any help in clearing the mud
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

--On the dropped third strike. A batter can run to first with first base occupied, provided there are two outs.
--Infield fly. In which an infielder can reach with ordinary effort. I was taught that when a "possible" infield fly is hit, observe the ball at its highest point, take a quick glance at the fielders, and determine if its ordinary effort. If so, let it flow, "Infield Fly!!". Sometimes its called and not called due to the umpires judgement if its a "true" fly ball, and the other reasons mentioned.
--On the play where the kid got whacked in the dome, Id say out.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

#1. runner is out. that is a crude way to get it, but in a rundown the fielder, ideally, would like to have an angle to throw from. Had the ball hit the runner in less painful place he may have had the chance to get back or even advance. Just bad luck on the runner's part for more than one reason.

#2. you just dealt with inexperience. There are ver few, here anyway, younger kids that have the first clue about being verbal at games. Mostly because they are shy about yelling the wrong thing. When they are kids and are unsure it is morbidly embarassing to look foolish and not know how to speak to people confidently to explain yourself. It is a lot easier, although not correct, to just say "they should know better." maybe they should, but even the "big boys" forget at times.

#3. The best description is this. ANYTIME there is a potential force out at third on a ball hit on the ground WITH LESS THAN 2 T-W-O OUTS...AND...the pop fly can be caught by an INFIELDER WHILE IN FAIR TERRITORY...HE/SHE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ON THE INFIELD ONLY, THEY CAN BE IN THE OUTFIELD......WITH ORDINARY EFFORT. that is an infield fly situation. if the fielder is in foul territory and drops the ball, it's a foul ball. NOW..."ordinary effort" is the squirrely part. that is a judgement call by the official. It is up to them to deem if effort was ordinary or not. Me, if you are in a dead sprint to catch a ball, that is not ordinary. PLUS, to make matters worse, the trajectory of the ball is an issue as well. We see those soft line drives that do not go high at all but are not hit hard, low trajectory and right at a fielder. To me, just a soft liner right at a fielder, no real "settleing" there, just in the best position. Had it been a soft liner in the hole could an infilder have made the same settling catch? I could go on and on and on and on about posibilities, so that is as general as it gets. ENJOY!
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

#1..OUT.

#2..Plate Umpire, "BATTER'S OUT! BATTER'S OUT!" If the defense still plays on the BR, tough.

#3..If coaches would read the rule book, and explain the rules to their players, there wouldn't be so much confusion.

Bob
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

1: Tough luck, and ouch, but ring 'em up.

2: No D3K. First base was occupied at TOP and there was only a sole out. And what was blue doing staying mute? With D3K in effect, you'd darned well better be saying when she's out. Our job to make sure everyone knows, and everyone's job to listen to us.

3: Explain it to the kids. If a ball, easily catchable in the infield, occurs with runners on first and second with less than two outs, an out is automatically called whether or not they catch it. When they ask why, say it's because many people will drop it to get an incredibly easy force play otherwise. It protects the offense.