The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
BTW, I thought this was an egregiously bad call. Look at the advantage Ichiro gained. But once again, he's a Yankee, they lost and NO ONE in the media had a quibble.
We rarely disagree, but we do here.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDALKCHOPPER View Post
The tag attempt was continuous throughout the play
Not really. the tag attempt started when the catcher caught the ball and started turning toward the runner. Look at where Itchy is when that catch is made --- already on the grass. Draw a line from that spot to the plate - did he move 3 feet perpendicular to THAT line while the catcher was attempting to tag him?

Also, that tag attempt ended once Itchy was out of range and catcher turned to dive back toward the plate.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
I'm an Orioles fan, but I have to say, good call by Angel.
His first of the season...not a fan.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
BTW, I thought this was an egregiously bad call. Look at the advantage Ichiro gained. But once again, he's a Yankee, they lost and NO ONE in the media had a quibble.
What advantage was gained? He was not more than 3' from his established base path. The call was correct. Or, should I say non-call was correct. And, the tag near the plate was correct as well. F2 did not tag the leg until after the runner touched HP.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 09:22am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Not really. the tag attempt started when the catcher caught the ball and started turning toward the runner.
Really? I guess I may have a fundamental misunderstanding of when a tag attempt is actually made. I don't consider the start of a turn towards the runner as a tag attempt, since the runner could be well away from the fielder when he starts that turn. I feel the tag attempt took place when Wieters lunged for Ichiro, and at that point Ichiro just twisted to avoid.

By your description, Ichiro would have had to turn into the tag as soon as Wieters caught the ball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Grun !!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Gotta give em both credit for a great effort!
Why do we sometimes want to over officiate.....two guys worked their tails off on this play !!!!!!! Itchy won the battle on this play but the O's won the game !!! Great game !!!!

Hey Grun - when your Nads get busted by the Cardinals, I don't want to see you north of Columbia trying to get on the BUCK TRUCK !!!!!!
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Really? I guess I may have a fundamental misunderstanding of when a tag attempt is actually made. I don't consider the start of a turn towards the runner as a tag attempt, since the runner could be well away from the fielder when he starts that turn. I feel the tag attempt took place when Wieters lunged for Ichiro, and at that point Ichiro just twisted to avoid.
Your point and mine are about a quarter of a second apart. My point was not to hash the difference between that quarter second, but rather to point out to most of those that think he should be out that he was ALREADY 3 feet from that white line before the tag started, and that HIS basepath is established when he's already that far away. I think we agree that this is NOT an example of running out of the baseline (not even close in my opinion)

Quote:
By your description, Ichiro would have had to turn into the tag as soon as Wieters caught the ball.
I said nothing of the sort, not even close.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDALKCHOPPER View Post
Ichiro just scored in the Yanks-O's game and I thought he had clearly gone further than 3ft from the foul line in avoiding the tag at home. Opinions ?
A common rules myth. That chalk line, or the direct line between bases, has nothing to do with making that call. It's the line the runner is taking to the base, at the point of the attempted tag on him by the defender. Suzuki was wide already, and went wider when he saw the catcher grabbing the ball. So, you have to judge 3+ feet more when that initial stab was made.

I thought it was great footwork by the PU to circle around, and keep moving for a better angle throughout that play. Whether he ended up with safe or out, he really worked hard to get a good look at it. That should end up in a training video, with all that went on there.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 07:12am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I said nothing of the sort, not even close.
My bad. I misunderstood your point.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Horrible defense by the catcher. Why is he going out to get the ball? Let the ball come to him, and block at least some of the plate.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Horrible defense by the catcher. Why is he going out to get the ball? Let the ball come to him, and block at least some of the plate.
I wonder if Posey's injury from last year (I believe) has anything to do with this. Or, has it just been a growing trend before that?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 09:22pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
I wonder if Posey's injury from last year (I believe) has anything to do with this. Or, has it just been a growing trend before that?
I have heard that catchers are being trained to not "Buster Posey" it at home plate. It simply isn't worth it.