The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

BU/ISU Game 1/31 - Baseline inbounds throw hits backboard

In the game yesterday between Bradley and Illinois State, a player inbounded the ball and it appeared to strike the bottom of the backboard before being touched by a player who was standing inbounds. What should the ruling have been?

Is this rule different for boys high school, men's NCAA, or NBA?

The ruling during the game was that this was a legal pass and play was not interrupted. Upon further explanation, the official said that the ball contacted the rim, not the backboard. After watching the play several times, the ball did not contact the rim, but in fact hit the backboard - either the couple inches of glass (padding?) that make up the very bottom or maybe the lower rear corner of the bottom of the backboard.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Braves Fan View Post
In the game yesterday between Bradley and Illinois State, a player inbounded the ball and it appeared to strike the bottom of the backboard before being touched by a player who was standing inbounds. What should the ruling have been?

Is this rule different for boys high school, men's NCAA, or NBA?

The ruling during the game was that this was a legal pass and play was not interrupted. Upon further explanation, the official said that the ball contacted the rim, not the backboard. After watching the play several times, the ball did not contact the rim, but in fact hit the backboard - either the couple inches of glass (padding?) that make up the very bottom or maybe the lower rear corner of the bottom of the backboard.
Bottom of the backboard is legal...My question is what about the rim? I saw an inbounds pass hit the rim and remain in play, but nothing called. I thought the rim was not part of the throw in.....Your thoughts?
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

The bottom, but not the back, of the backboard is in play.

Had the same thing this past week. There was 1 second left in the quarter, and the timer started the clock when the ball hit the bottom of the backboard. No player touched the ball in bounds before the horn. Duh.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
Bottom of the backboard is legal...My question is what about the rim? I saw an inbounds pass hit the rim and remain in play, but nothing called. I thought the rim was not part of the throw in.....Your thoughts?
The rim is not part of the throw-in? Huh?

Perhaps you're thinking of 9-2-7, which prohibits the throw-in pass from entering the basket, or 9-2-8, which prohibits lodging the ball between the rim and backboard on the throw-in.

Neither prohibits the throw-in pass touching the rim.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The rim is not part of the throw-in? Huh?

Perhaps you're thinking of 9-2-7, which prohibits the throw-in pass from entering the basket, or 9-2-8, which prohibits lodging the ball between the rim and backboard on the throw-in.

Neither prohibits the throw-in pass touching the rim.
"The rim is not part of the throw-in? Huh?"

Yeah, I didn't make that sound so right, did I? Well, you read through it and got it right. Thanks for the clarification regarding the rim......
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 01:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds as well as the supporting structures.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)