The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 208
Baseline Violation Kentucky-Ole Miss Game

Thoughts on this

Early in 2nd half, Ole Miss scores and Kentucky player goes to make throw in along the baseline. Trail official along baseline with visible count, Kentucky player inadvertently steps into court without releasing the ball. He then steps back OB to make throw in. Pause and then C official from maybe 30' away up court, tweets, and points to violation and Ole Miss is awarded ball

First of all it was the correct call, however I would be very leery of making that call from that far way since it is difficult to be sure if the player stepped across the line or just on the line.

Secondly, what was the trail official thinking. Was he going to let that go thinking it had no bearing on the play. And if he simply missed that, he should not be working at that level.
__________________
A Double Bonus is not really double.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:50pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,950
If that is the case, two wrongs do not make a right. They C should not be making this call and maybe the Trail just thought he was not on the court. It is a judgment thing and you probably had the benefit of replay unlike the official on the game. I would not go as far to say that the official does not belong at that level for this. I know I have missed this on occasion partly because I was caught by surprise. Maybe that is what happened.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 20,913
Obstruction ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
Baseline Violation
In baseball, when a fielder illegally hinders a baserunner, the fielder is guilty of obstruction
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In baseball, when a fielder illegally hinders a baserunner, the fielder is guilty of obstruction
Sorry I guess I should have asked Joe West instead of this forum
__________________
A Double Bonus is not really double.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 11
Send a message via AIM to swerv17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
Thoughts on this

Early in 2nd half, Ole Miss scores and Kentucky player goes to make throw in along the baseline. Trail official along baseline with visible count, Kentucky player inadvertently steps into court without releasing the ball. He then steps back OB to make throw in. Pause and then C official from maybe 30' away up court, tweets, and points to violation and Ole Miss is awarded ball

First of all it was the correct call, however I would be very leery of making that call from that far way since it is difficult to be sure if the player stepped across the line or just on the line.

Secondly, what was the trail official thinking. Was he going to let that go thinking it had no bearing on the play. And if he simply missed that, he should not be working at that level.
I was watching this game and saw it happen in real speed. The C official did come in hard and point at the endline to help sell the call. Maybe the T just didn't see it. The officials got the call right, which it what they are supposed to do.
__________________
"I don't referee to be perfect, I referee to be excellent."- Tre Maddox, NBA referee

Keep learning and geting better. Give back what you have learned and experienced to someone else. We'll all be better officials for it.

"Rules competency breeds calmness and confidence in chaos."-Vince Iandoli

"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 01:03am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
... And if he simply missed that, he should not be working at that level.
Here you go again. Must be getting close to March. I'm sure the guy who missed the call was working his very first D1 game tonight. His test was an SEC conference game on ESPN.

I'm pretty sure 2 of the officials on this game have officiated Final Fours. Didn't recognize the other official.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:17am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
I'm guessing the C came and got it because of the recent memo following the KS game where this call was missed. Would I have poached this call? Not in a million years, but I haven't earned the ability to do so, either.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 03:40pm
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm guessing the C came and got it because of the recent memo following the KS game where this call was missed.
Ding! Ding! Ding! No more calls. We have a winner.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FT Violation, does the team get the baseline? bc7 Basketball 11 Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:53am
intentional miss- free throw hits rim, violation mutantducky Basketball 5 Thu Nov 27, 2008 06:31pm
Kentucky/Mississippi State Lane Violation Jim Bob Basketball 53 Mon Mar 12, 2007 09:48pm
running the baseline after violation sptheref Basketball 2 Wed Feb 09, 2005 06:23pm
Kentucky/Miss. St. whistleone Basketball 27 Fri Jan 16, 2004 03:31pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1