The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Why is the ruling on this move being changed?

BlackBerry: Bold Plays | STL@PHI: Papelbon picks off Beltran to earn the save - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Hey everybody. Just wondering if there has been an official statement regarding why this move is becoming a balk next year in OBR. (RHP, step to third, look to or throw to first)

Is it a speed-of-game issue? I have never umpired at a level where this is common or even allowed, so, I'm not quite sure what the rationale would be. In my opinion it can be an effective psychological tool (or clue). Sorry if this has been widely discussed as I'm sure all rule changes are, but I couldn't find anything while searching.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achu View Post
BlackBerry: Bold Plays | STL@PHI: Papelbon picks off Beltran to earn the save - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Hey everybody. Just wondering if there has been an official statement regarding why this move is becoming a balk next year in OBR. (RHP, step to third, look to or throw to first)

Is it a speed-of-game issue? I have never umpired at a level where this is common or even allowed, so, I'm not quite sure what the rationale would be. In my opinion it can be an effective psychological tool (or clue). Sorry if this has been widely discussed as I'm sure all rule changes are, but I couldn't find anything while searching.
I know announcers have been complaining that this should be a balk for years, because it "deceives" the runners.

Which is why it always works, right?

Rita
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

First of all, everything I have read has used the word "maybe", so that doesn't mean it definetly is.

Now , What the heck are you talking about? I have to question what level you have umpired at because, this is a common as "Ball or Strike" at all games above LL level.

"it can be an effective psychological tool"

What does that mean? This is Baseball were discussing.

Here is a quote about this move that shows the type of brillance we are dealing with here.

"I think they should get rid of it," Yankees reliever Boone Logan said. "Us lefties can't do that. If we do, they call a balk."

About the only reason I can think of, of why they want to eliminate this is, it shows up the intelligence of some of ther players. The clip already proves that it still works in the game. I don't see why they want to eliminate it but, it's their League.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
..."I think they should get rid of it," Yankees reliever Boone Logan said. "Us lefties can't do that. If we do, they call a balk."
Unless I am missing something, a left-handed pitcher can step toward third fake a throw there, disengage the rubber, and throw to first. Now it would look silly and I have never seen it. But there is no rule precluding a lefty from doing a third-to-first move.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
Unless I am missing something, a left-handed pitcher can step toward third fake a throw there, disengage the rubber, and throw to first. Now it would look silly and I have never seen it. But there is no rule precluding a lefty from doing a third-to-first move.
Yeah, he left that part out... what he really meant was...

"We lefties can't do that very well and look foolish when we try".

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Now , What the heck are you talking about? I have to question what level you have umpired at because, this is a common as "Ball or Strike" at all games above LL level.

"it can be an effective psychological tool"

What does that mean? This is Baseball were discussing.
Question away. I volunteer as a Little League umpire in a small Maine town where many parents can't even afford gloves for their kids. I don't get paid and I'm at this forum because I'm trying to learn how to be as good as I can. I was just curious about the rule change.

As is the case with lazy pickoff throws and any check on a runner, it is a way of letting the runner know the pitcher is paying attention. That's all I meant. Thanks for the reply.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Is it a speed-of-game issue?
1. No official statement AFAIK.

2. No, I believe that it's an attempt to rebalance the rules to favor runners a tiny bit. This happens every so often with OBR.

FWIW, it seemed to me that Papelbon balked in the video you posted, and not in the way you're asking about.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 01:10pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Yeah, he left that part out... what he really meant was...

"We lefties can't do that very well and look foolish when we try".
Actually, I think he was complaining that lefties aren't allowed to do the fake-to-first-throw-to-third move, essentially mirroring the righty move.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Actually, I think he was complaining that lefties aren't allowed to do the fake-to-first-throw-to-third move, essentially mirroring the righty move.
Ya think?
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question away. I volunteer as a Little League umpire in a small Maine town where many parents can't even afford gloves for their kids. I don't get paid and I'm at this forum because I'm trying to learn how to be as good as I can. I was just curious about the rule change.

As is the case with lazy pickoff throws and any check on a runner, it is a way of letting the runner know the pitcher is paying attention. That's all I meant. Thanks for the reply.
The goal of the pitcher is to catch the runner taking some extra lead when he initially thinks the ball is going to third, and then fire back to catch him too far off or leaning. It VERY rarely works, and often gets boo'ed at MLB parks.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And neither are rightys.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
1. No official statement AFAIK.

2. No, I believe that it's an attempt to rebalance the rules to favor runners a tiny bit. This happens every so often with OBR.

FWIW, it seemed to me that Papelbon balked in the video you posted, and not in the way you're asking about.
I had a balk on the play as well. Possibly for two reasons.

One - Looked like the free foot crossed the back plane of the rubber. (maybe)

Two - Also looked like he may have started to rotate toward home rather than step directly toward third. (or more to home than third).

Tim.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2012, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I had a balk on the play as well. Possibly for two reasons.

One - Looked like the free foot crossed the back plane of the rubber. (maybe)

Two - Also looked like he may have started to rotate toward home rather than step directly toward third. (or more to home than third).

Tim.
No way on either.

1. whole foot has to cross whole rubber, not even close. (see below and thanks to mbyron for updating me on this one). I still don't see him breaking the back edge here.

2. everything went towards third.

No way this is a balk.

Last edited by tcarilli; Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 09:10am. Reason: eating crow! :-)
Old Sat Aug 18, 2012, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
1. whole foot has to cross whole rubber, not even close.
Tony, that's the FED rule (6-2-4f).

OBR 8.05a COMMENT is usually interpreted as any part of the foot.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2012, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Tony, that's the FED rule (6-2-4f).

OBR 8.05a COMMENT is usually interpreted as any part of the foot.
I don't think that is what 8.05a says. Maybe I'm getting old and fuzzy headed but I remember as a cadet at the Academy being told that it was the whole foot past the whole rubber.

I stand corrected I just found MLBUM 7.5(c).

NCAA is explicit about it in 9-1-b (3)
Quote:
When the pitcher starts the delivery from the set position and the entire free foot or any part of the stride leg breaks the plane of theback edge of the pitcher’s rubber, the pitcher is committed to throwor feint a motion toward second base or pitch to home plate.
Thanks for making me look it up, I appreciate it really. Any day I can learn something is a good day!

And I really got to update my PBUC manual. The one I have says in 6.4 (b)
Quote:
...when he swings his entire foot completely behind the back edge of the rubber.

Last edited by tcarilli; Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 09:14am.