The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I hear that WA has announced a change in NFHS mechanics. (3-whistle)
I have not seen the e-mail sent out by Todd Stordahl yet...but I understand that they want us to not go tableside when L opposite table calls a foul "going the other way". They want L to go back to the endline and become new T opposite table. In the past we have gone tableside and become new C.

When L calls foul "going the other way" and is tableside...L will "V-back" and be new T tableside as we have always done.

I know we got into a conversation about this with another state (I think it was IL) who does this mechanic...and it looks like we are going to do it now.

Can anyone tell me the "advantage" of this mechanic and/or why we have a memo switching to this mechanic in the middle of the season?
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
This is the "No Long Switches" provision in the 3 person mechanics. In Texas we have been doing it all along. Advantage: Saves steps. Saves time.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen that e-mail either, but as a fellow Washington Official I look forward to seeing that. Cool.

Z
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:52pm
M.A.S.H.

You are correct RookieDude, IL doesn't do Long Switches anymore.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

If I read it right it sounds like you're using the ncaa mens 3 man mechanic. If that's the intent then you should be going table side when shooting FTs (bonus).
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Got an email from a Board Member that this change is in effect. Lovin it!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Don't you guys have a mandatory pre-season Interpretation Meeting which covers all rule revisions and mechanics changes, and points of emphasis?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

SAving Steps????

how can it save steps...
New way...you go to the table and report, then go back to take the ball inbounds, new trail...

old way...go to the table to report...stay and be C table side...lot shorter to me.....

don't get me wrong, i love the 3 man system and i like there is no long switches... just wondering how they can give a reason for this as "saving steps"....don't think so, must be some other reason
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 02:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Don't you guys have a mandatory pre-season Interpretation Meeting which covers all rule revisions and mechanics changes, and points of emphasis?
Yep...but this is a change the WIAA has just made in the past few weeks and goes into effect this month...and it is the new mechanic according to our assignor down here in SW WA...
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

No long switch also makes it easier to keep an eye on the players.

There's just been a foul, somebody may be angry. The old lead is near the table, focused on them. The official who'll become the new trail is moving to the baseline. That leaves the new lead to watch the players who are all headed away from the other two officials.

If you eliminate the long switch, then you have two officials headed down the floor with the players.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the "no long switch", but when opposite table, why would't you stay table side and become the C if the ball is being inbounded opposite table?

Old C becomes the T and old T becomes the L. By the time you come to the table to report and go back to inbound the ball, you actually walk more than if you would have on a long switch.

Understanding you do not want to go from L to L!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
I agree with the "no long switch", but when opposite table, why would't you stay table side and become the C if the ball is being inbounded opposite table?

Old C becomes the T and old T becomes the L. By the time you come to the table to report and go back to inbound the ball, you actually walk more than if you would have on a long switch.

I agree!

IMO...this change in mechanics goes against the "call a foul and go tableside" idea.
Now we have a situation where we actually do not go tableside on every foul...and again IMO is more steps.
Sure it works for college...they just "clear" and report...NFHS has a reporting area, so in the end it is more steps.
I just think they could have left well enough alone and stayed more consistent with the foul mechanics.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

too bad

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

I agree!

IMO...this change in mechanics goes against the "call a foul and go tableside" idea.
Now we have a situation where we actually do not go tableside on every foul...and again IMO is more steps.
Sure it works for college...they just "clear" and report...NFHS has a reporting area, so in the end it is more steps.
I just think they could have left well enough alone and stayed more consistent with the foul mechanics.
It disappoints me to hear that WA is following IL in doing it this way. I have been pushing the go tableside and be C method here all season. It is much better in my opinon. It is consistent with the idea of enhancing communication with the coaches and is NOT a long switch.
It works especially well in the first half, since the coach who is going to want an explanation is down on the other end and didn't have a very good look. Why not put the calling official over there so that he can have a quick word with him when we get to that end?
All that you have done now is create the same situation as the old go opposite mechanic, so the coach has to yell across the floor at the official for an answer or ask someone who didn't make the call. Doesn't make good sense.

I'd have to say that either WA didn't think this through or wants to do the same thing as NCAA men.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Clear the players and report the foul. You don't need to "come all the way to the table."

No long switches is a natural mechanic and, frankly, works well in 2-whistle as well. It's unnatural to call a rebounding foul as a trail, report and then have everyone watch as you switch to become the new trail going the other way.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
No long switches is a natural mechanic and, frankly, works well in 2-whistle as well. It's unnatural to call a rebounding foul as a trail, report and then have everyone watch as you switch to become the new trail going the other way.
You may feel that it is unusual, but it is correct. The no long switch concept does not apply to 2-man. I hope that you aren't doing it that way.