The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 03, 2012, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Running Lane - Whose Call?

A couple of times this week MLB games had plays where the catcher was throwing to first and the runner , after reaching the running lane, had one foot inside the lane and the first baseman missed the throw.

Is that the call by the first base ump or the HP ump?

Thanks
Old Fri Aug 03, 2012, 10:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unless the philosophy has changed, I believe either one can call this. The HP umpire might have other things going on based on many other plays, so I think either one is responsible to call this if necessary. I know that has been the philosophy at other levels.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

This is a good subject to bring up in your pregame conference.
In my view either one could call it. I had field one night and in pre-game HP was adamant that RLI was his and only his call. OK sir, lets play.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
This is a good subject to bring up in your pregame conference.
In my view either one could call it. I had field one night and in pre-game HP was adamant that RLI was his and only his call. OK sir, lets play.
If you're looking at the base, how will you see RLI?
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'm watching and listening for a lot of things (ball, base, runners feet, fielders feet etc). If you only watched the base, interference or obstruction would never be called.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm watching and listening for a lot of things (ball, base, runners feet, fielders feet etc). If you only watched the base, interference or obstruction would never be called.
Sounds as if you might be failing to take advantage of the division of labor that the 2-umpire system permits.

In any case, to answer the question, in every manual and course of instruction I know, RLI is PU's call. And it's PU's call because BU should not be looking there.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 09:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You are telling me you only focus on the base? And if it is obvious you think only the PU can make this call? Not a chance. If that is the logic then a PU should never see a swiped tag either. You have to see the entire play. And yes I would be watching the throw as well sometimes. Again this might depend on positioning that I am in of course, but if this is obvious I do not know why a BU cannot make that call.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
...And if it is obvious you think only the PU can make this call? ...I do not know why a BU cannot make that call.

The call belongs primarily to the plate umpire because he has a better angle on the position of the runner's feet as he approaches first base. While the base umpire may have secondary responsibility on the call, I think it would have to be so obvious as to not "need" a call for him to get it. A play involves both a ball and runner. The base umpire is initially focused on the ball so that he can read the "trueness" of the throw. He can't at the same time observe the position of the feet of the runner. The plate guy can because he does not have to have primary focus on the ball. When there is an "untrue" throw that requires a swipe tag the base umpire can stay with the ball to the tag of the runner.

I submit it is very difficult to watch the ball and the position of the feet of the batter-runner simultaneously, thus making this violation the primary responsibility of the plate umpire.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
A couple of times this week MLB games had plays where the catcher was throwing to first and the runner , after reaching the running lane, had one foot inside the lane and the first baseman missed the throw.
I would not call RLI on this. He has to be completly outside of the lane before I make that call.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Sat Aug 04, 2012 at 10:43am.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
I would not call RLI on this. He has to be completly outside of the lane before I make that call.
That's flat out incorrect.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post

Thanks
Did the runner interfere with F3's opportunity to catch the throw?
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In FED the rule reads: The batter is considered to be outside of the running lane lines if either foot is outside either line.(8-4 art 1 g2).
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OBR: Rule 6.05(k) Comment: The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 01:09pm
In Time Out

Quote:
In FED the rule reads: The batter is considered to be outside of the running lane lines if either foot is outside either line.(8-4 art 1 g2).
Personally, I like the FED interp better than OBR when comes to the definition as to the throw.

In OBR, the best thing to do is drill the B/R with the ball the way they want it enforced. In FED, they better be in there or else.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
The call belongs primarily to the plate umpire because he has a better angle on the position of the runner's feet as he approaches first base. While the base umpire may have secondary responsibility on the call, I think it would have to be so obvious as to not "need" a call for him to get it. A play involves both a ball and runner. The base umpire is initially focused on the ball so that he can read the "trueness" of the throw. He can't at the same time observe the position of the feet of the runner. The plate guy can because he does not have to have primary focus on the ball. When there is an "untrue" throw that requires a swipe tag the base umpire can stay with the ball to the tag of the runner.

I submit it is very difficult to watch the ball and the position of the feet of the batter-runner simultaneously, thus making this violation the primary responsibility of the plate umpire.
This all depends on the mechanics you are using. In a 4 man that might be true. In a two person or three person that might not be true at all based on many factors. And I do not focus that much on the ball as a BU. I watch where the ball is being thrown mostly. If you follow the ball the play might blow up on you and not see everything. And I did not say that the PU was would not be watching this, but to act like neither umpire can call this is silly too. I simply said that both can call this if they see it. It is about angles and in some plays the PU is not on the line directly or can be screened.

Peace