The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Worthy of the thumb?

Bring on the robots: Zack Greinke ejected after four pitches for spiking baseball | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

I am not sure about this one. I think someone was a little sensitive that afternoon.

No surprise that he is part of Joe West's crew. I DEFINITELY do not like the way West kept jawing with Ron Roenicke. As always, West has to be the show.

What do you think?
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 10:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdeppert View Post
Bring on the robots: Zack Greinke ejected after four pitches for spiking baseball | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

I am not sure about this one. I think someone was a little sensitive that afternoon.

No surprise that he is part of Joe West's crew. I DEFINITELY do not like the way West kept jawing with Ron Roenicke. As always, West has to be the show.

What do you think?
I think it's sad that most people today think that umpires should stand there, mute, while managers use the foulest of language and a maximum amount of disrespect. I also think it all filters down to the levels we work.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 10:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the thing that the media and people like you need to sometimes realize. It is not our job to know what you are thinking or to assume anything. If you do not want to be seen as being upset with an umpire's call, then do not do things that make it look like you are just doing that.

I watched BBTN and John Kruk wanted everyone to believe that the actions were simply being upset with himself on a close play. Well that might have been true, but it does not help when the stupid media keeps repeating a myth of baseball (tie goes to the runner).

Now then the manager thinks he can say and do whatever he wants and then he is supposed to get a pass. It always amazes me that when these things happen, no one in the media seems to blame bad behavior on players and coaches. This has nothing to do with Joe West or anything related to such. You have an umpire that has someone in his face and it is his fault that he ejected someone.

It is like the guy that throws a ball close to the head of a guy and then gets upset that the batter thinks he did not mean it, but the pitcher looks at the batter to suggest "Let’s go." Then later acting like, "I did not do anything wrong."

That is what I think.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

"I watched BBTN and John Kruk wanted everyone to believe that the actions were simply being upset with himself on a close play. Well that might have been true, but it does not help when the stupid media keeps repeating a myth of baseball (tie goes to the runner)."

I'm not going to start this thing all over again, but saying that "ties go to the runner is a myth" is simply not true. There is clear language in the OBR that supports that interpretation. Whether you agree or not, there is more support in the rulebook for this interpretation, than there is for the "there are no ties in baseball" interpretation (which really is a myth).

On plays at 1st base a tie DOES go to the runner (6.05(j)).

7.08(e) applies to force plays at any other base (ties go to the defense).

Not a myth - a rule; check it out.

OK - that takes care of that until next year. No more comments from me
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 11:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
"I watched BBTN and John Kruk wanted everyone to believe that the actions were simply being upset with himself on a close play. Well that might have been true, but it does not help when the stupid media keeps repeating a myth of baseball (tie goes to the runner)."

I'm not going to start this thing all over again, but saying that "ties go to the runner is a myth" is simply not true. There is clear language in the OBR that supports that interpretation. Whether you agree or not, there is more support in the rulebook for this interpretation, than there is for the "there are no ties in baseball" interpretation (which really is a myth).

On plays at 1st base a tie DOES go to the runner (6.05(j)).

7.08(e) applies to force plays at any other base (ties go to the defense).

OK - that takes care of that until next year. No more comments from me
There are no ties when two events are compared. That can be scientifically proven, even if only on a theoretical level. We can keep adding decimal places to the time observed and eventually, with enough decimal places, one event will have happened first.

The problem is that the human eye or the cameras (even the best cameras with high fps rates) we use can't determine which event actually happened first and we end up with "dead heats."

Quite frankly, if the play is that close that I can't tell whether the ball or the runner arrived first (and this doesn't happen often), I *always* call the runner out.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
Not a rule, but your interpretation.....

In neither of the rules you cite is the word "tie" mentioned.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Trying to get the thread back on track before it derails completely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groupthink
I think it's sad that most people today think that umpires should stand there, mute, while managers use the foulest of language and a maximum amount of disrespect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You have an umpire that has someone in his face and it is his fault that he ejected someone.
You both seem to be describing the second ejection. What about the 1st ejection, where the starting pitcher was behind the umpire, not looking at him, and walking away from him?

The spike (and probable expletive) certainly could have been construed as showing up the umpire. I'd probably eject a high school kid from one of my competitions, especially if he said what I suspect he said.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 03:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
You both seem to be describing the second ejection. What about the 1st ejection, where the starting pitcher was behind the umpire, not looking at him, and walking away from him?

The spike (and probable expletive) certainly could have been construed as showing up the umpire. I'd probably eject a high school kid from one of my competitions, especially if he said what I suspect he said.
Well if you read my entire comments I commented on both ejections. And the first one I have no problem with at all. If the pitcher does not want anyone to misconstrue his actions, then do not do what he did and then you will have no one trying to figure it out. I am not concerned or even know what people mean half the time about "showing up the umpire" anyway. His actions were unsporting at best and if he said words that added to the throwing of the ball then that would have made more sense to the ejection.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Greinke admitted afterwards that he put Holbrook in a bad postion with his actions. (he knew it immediately)

Nobody knows what was said between Roenicke and West. To speculate or criticize either is just plain silly.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 06:08am
Official & ***** Member

Greinke *probably* spiked the ball because he was upset with himself for being late getting off the mound. U1 *probably* called BR safe for the same reason.

As far as Roenicke - West is concerned, you can plainly see West ask "Excuse me?" at the end of Roenicke's tirade, which leads me to think Roenicke said something personal about U1 and/or the rest of the crew.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

I don't know what Greinke said, but it's pretty clear Holbrook judged Greinke was showing him up. Pro umpires don't generally toss people out of the blue, and IMO Holbrook is entitled to the benefit of the doubt.

If the EJ makes players think twice about throwing their little tantrums when something doesn't go their way instead of just sucking it up and getting back to work, IMO that's all to the good.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bring on the robots: Zack Greinke ejected after four pitches for spiking baseball | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

What do you think?
Your right Zack Greinke was way over sensitive about blowing the play at first and it resulted in a bone-head move that got him thrown out of the game. He even admitted it after the fact. His coach came out and stood up for him because because thats his job and said the wrong thing and got his butt tossed also. So why you are even suggesting that it was someones else fault is beyond me.

So lets see here , based upon your ability to analyze this situation, we can surmise that you are either a Sports Writer with bias, a 3 year old cry baby or just STUPID.

What do you think?
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

We're not mindreaders. Agree completely with the ejections.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do you think?
Spiking the ball, throwing equipment in anger of a call are all ejections in any rule set.

Joe West is the Crew Chief which means he usually will be there when an ejection takes place to see the ejected party out. In this case, Roenicke had to go by Joe to get to the dugout so you don't know who said what, now do you? Typically, Roenicke would jaw at Joe because again, he's the Crew Chief and one of the umpires ejected him. So more than likely, Roenicke started spilling is usual diarrhea and Joe responded.

You obviously are not an umpire for even posting such dribble!
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 11:35am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Your right Zack Greinke was way over sensitive about blowing the play at first and it resulted in a bone-head move that got him thrown out of the game. He even admitted it after the fact. His coach came out and stood up for him because because thats his job and said the wrong thing and got his butt tossed also. So why you are even suggesting that it was someones else fault is beyond me.

So lets see here , based upon your ability to analyze this situation, we can surmise that you are either a Sports Writer with bias, a 3 year old cry baby or just STUPID.

What do you think?
I think somebody's oversensitve this morning...........