The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Rule of thumb for FG's and Kicked Trys

If you use the mechanic of the wing official that sees the referees butt going to the uprights. The following works:

If the kicker is right you go left. For the wrong wing that is 107 yds, even most wings will figure out they are headed some place they don't want to be.

In summary:

If the kicker is Right(footed) the wing with the post on his left goes to the posts

If the kicker is left (footed) the wing with the post on his right goes to the post.

Pregame: check with coaches about right/left footed kickers, most are right footed so you will normally to to the post on your left (as you face the field).

This saves a bit of time, and the wings don't have to wait and observe the R's excellent, in condition, rear.

Last edited by Careyy; Fri Aug 22, 2008 at 02:23pm.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 02:32pm
Small Business Owner

Lightbulb Look at the ref's butt!

If you see the referees butt, you are in the wrong place!
Works well.

OR,

As a referee I tell the wings (in the pregame) not to go until I point at you, and I do so real early. That way there is no misunderstanding and if I send the wrong guy (happened once in three years ) we still have the bases covered.
This mechanic also assurs their are never three attempting to get under the goalpost! (I'm sure you know what I mean! )
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

And don't forget that the U slides over to the guard/tackle to be on the same side of the ball as the R.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 10:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

No offense, but this is way too complicated for us up here in Canada.

We have the Umpire designate the short sideline official as soon as the next-to-last down is over. That gives that side guy plenty of time to get in position.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
No offense, but this is way too complicated for us up here in Canada.

We have the Umpire designate the short sideline official as soon as the next-to-last down is over. That gives that side guy plenty of time to get in position.
That's way too complicated, too.

The LJ always goes. Simple. Easy.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Hope my Hand Is Big Enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careyy
If you use the mechanic of the wing official that sees the referees butt going to the uprights. The following works:

If the kicker is right you go left. For the wrong wing that is 107 yds, even most wings will figure out they are headed some place they don't want to be.

In summary:

If the kicker is Right(footed) the wing with the post on his left goes to the posts

If the kicker is left (footed) the wing with the post on his right goes to the post.

Pregame: check with coaches about right/left footed kickers, most are right footed so you will normally to to the post on your left (as you face the field).

This saves a bit of time, and the wings don't have to wait and observe the R's excellent, in condition, rear.
This is my first year with 5-man mechanics and been thinking about how to handle this one. Chances are we will not get to practice in a scrimmage. I am thinking about keeping track of QB, P and Ks feet and arm on my right hand (I'm left handed) in ink and hope I don't sweat too much and pray for dry weather!
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

I did not know it was complicated to figure out whether a kicker is left or right footed? What are you doing before the game? If this is complicated, I hate to see how complicated it is when keys change with every formation. We have used this mechanic for years and it is about as easy as doing anything else on the field.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I did not know it was complicated to figure out whether a kicker is left or right footed? What are you doing before the game? If this is complicated, I hate to see how complicated it is when keys change with every formation. We have used this mechanic for years and it is about as easy as doing anything else on the field.

Peace
I'm trying not to leave anything to chance, I've got a LJ in his first year of varsity ball and the whole crew, in fact, all 22 crews in the Association are new to five-man.

Thought asking the coaches about QBs, Ps and Ks before game and writing it down keeps us from having to think about it. Maybe it is overkill but would rather be prepared than look stupid with three officials between the posts.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Come on. This is not that difficult. On a down where you might see a kick, field goal or try, just start by having the wing officials come to the numbers or tick marks. Once you see the tee come on to the field the R will start by watching the holder so see which side of the tee he is setting up on. Once the holder is lined up you can make the decision as to who will stay and who will go. It should take less than 4 seconds to get the wing under a post and be ready to rule. When in doubt assume that the kicker is right footed as you will be right at least 90% of the time. If you were wrong then fix it next time.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

It's amazing what just a dash of common sense can accomplish.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

We are using some new mechanics in MI this year. For all try's and FG's from inside the 15 the umpire is dropping back with the BJ. That way the wing guys are still in position to get the GL if there is a fake or a muffed snap that results in a run for the endzone. FG's outside the 15 we are still using just the BJ underneath.

MI has started making it's own mechanics book. They have also moved the U up to the 50 on kickoffs and dropped the wing guys down to the R's 30.