The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

bat question

Hi guys,
Football basketball guy here just looking for a little clarification.

The -3 designation for aluminum bats, is intended to make bats perform more like wood correct?

My son plays in a youth league (13-14) yr olds. Not sure of which rule set, most like a modification of some other set. However it apparantly says that in order for a bat to be legal it must have the -3 designation.

If a kid came to the plate with a wood bat with out the -3 designation, would you allow it in the game or throw it out because it doesn't say -3?
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Non-wood bats can be much lighter than wood bats of the same length. So the ratio restriction limits how fast a given player can swing a bat of a given length. So, yes, that's somewhat to make it more like wood: but the BBCOR and BESR standards are more about performance than the ratio.

The penalty for an illegal bat is that the batter is out. If detected before the batter entered the batters box, we simply disallow the use of the bat. If the batter gets a hit with an illegal bat it's a little more complicated.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Speaking FED rules, the -3 rule applies to bats "not made of a single piece of wood". See rule 1-3-2c.

There are no restrictions on weight to length ratio on wood bats.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
Hi guys,

The -3 designation for aluminum bats, is intended to make bats perform more like wood correct?

My son plays in a youth league (13-14) yr olds. Not sure of which rule set, most like a modification of some other set. However it apparantly says that in order for a bat to be legal it must have the -3 designation.

If a kid came to the plate with a wood bat with out the -3 designation, would you allow it in the game or throw it out because it doesn't say -3?

If your sons league is governed by Little League International the bbcor rating is only required on composit bats. Those ones must be -3 with the bbcor stamp on them. All other aluminum bats are legal, provided they comply with the proper barrell deminsions and drop requirements. However you may want to inquire with the local league to see if they have implemented their own league by-laws regarding the bats.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

If it's one piece of wood, play on.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
If your sons league is governed by Little League International the bbcor rating is only required on composit bats. Those ones must be -3 with the bbcor stamp on them. All other aluminum bats are legal, provided they comply with the proper barrell deminsions and drop requirements. However you may want to inquire with the local league to see if they have implemented their own league by-laws regarding the bats.
The BBCOR is for all bats not made of wood for Little League International rules

Aluminum or composite.

Rita
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It depends on what level of LL you are in. You are correct for the age specified in the OP but it isn't that across all of LL.

If you are majors or below the non-wood bat must have a BPF rating of 1.15 or lower - no drop limit - 2 1/4" max diameter. Bats with a composite barrell must be on the approved composite bat list at the LL web site.

If you are in juniors (13-14) composite bats must be BBCOR. Other non-wood are 2 5/8" max diameter and have no drop limit

If you are in seniors and above (14-18) ALL non-wood bats must be BBCOR, 2 5/8" max and -3 drop max.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

thanks

Thanks guys and gals for all the responses I will inquire more tonite...in the mean time my sons coach told him to take a wood burner and burn -3 in his bat LOL....This morning I told him, it is kinda funny and all, but if I was and umpire that wouldn't allow a wood bat without the -3, then wood burning it wouldn't make a difference LOL...
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks guys and gals for all the responses I will inquire more tonite...in the mean time my sons coach told him to take a wood burner and burn -3 in his bat LOL....This morning I told him, it is kinda funny and all, but if I was and umpire that wouldn't allow a wood bat without the -3, then wood burning it wouldn't make a difference LOL...
And if it was my son, I would be personnaly telling his coach, that is the last time I want you to suggest to my son to do something that may circumvent the rules of the game he is participating in. JMO.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
The BBCOR is for all bats not made of wood for Little League International rules

Aluminum or composite.

Rita
Not so in minors/majors.

In Juniors? Not per the rule book.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Not so in minors/majors.

Thank you Rich, she is incorrect bbcor has nothing to do with the 9-12 year old age groups
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not so in minors/majors.

Yes, not for minors/majors. But we weren't talking about that age group.

I don't know where I was looking when I looked it up before I posted. But you are correct. For Juniors, it's only the composite bats that must be BBCOR.

For Seniors, (we have no Juniors in our league this season) the rule is all bats not wood must be BBCOR, -3. Aluminum or composite.

I really don't understand where people get the idea that wood bats are under the same rules. It's clear enough in the rules.

Oh wait, I guess I'm expecting people to read the rules...

Rita

Last edited by Rita C; Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 01:26pm. Reason: additional information.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you Rich, she is incorrect bbcor has nothing to do with the 9-12 year old age groups
We weren't talking about that age group.

9-12 have BPF 1.15 and composite barrels must be on the approved list.

I misread before i posted. Juniors, only composite bats must be BBCOR. Seniors, all non-wood must be BBCOR.

Rita
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not so in minors/majors.

No offense ... and it's not usually just you... but is anyone else tired of this kind of snittery?

Question: If X and Y and Z happen, then is BR out?
Answer: Yes.
Snit: Not always! If X is not true, and something else happens that is also not in the OP, then BR is NOT out.

Come on.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
No offense ... and it's not usually just you... but is anyone else tired of this kind of snittery?

Question: If X and Y and Z happen, then is BR out?
Answer: Yes.
Snit: Not always! If X is not true, and something else happens that is also not in the OP, then BR is NOT out.

Come on.
I don't have a problem with it in this case. Dealing with the misunderstandings in LL that we come across, it is important that the answer is clear.

Rita