The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 11:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Really? Now your trying to insert yourself into the game. You may have a better argument that if the play was at second, the Batter could be called for leaning over the plate, but returning to his original stance is stretching it.

Batter ducks for a pitch just over his head and when he returns to his normal stance he gets hit with the throw to a base. I suppose your calling that BI too.
If he moves there after the catcher has the ball and I feel it's done in order to "get in the way" I have no problem calling this.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Listen folks - the whole reason that the batter is semi-imune in the box is so the catcher can't just plunk the batter to get a cheap out. Don't help the catcher get a cheap out.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, use your judgement. If a batter, in the box, is doing what he normally would, I don't have any inteference. If he carelessly moves out of the box and hinders the catcher or does something intentional to hinder the play, call interference. Most times you will know it when you see it.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 02:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Listen folks - the whole reason that the batter is semi-imune in the box is so the catcher can't just plunk the batter to get a cheap out. Don't help the catcher get a cheap out.
Get DirecTV.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
Gentlemen, use your judgement. If a batter, in the box, is doing what he normally would, I don't have any inteference. If he carelessly moves out of the box and hinders the catcher or does something intentional to hinder the play, call interference. Most times you will know it when you see it.
It's posts like these that make teaching what BI is (and isn't) difficult.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It's posts like these that make teaching what BI is (and isn't) difficult.
Why would this be difficult for you? Please explain.

The rule book defines what is interference, but on the field you need to use judgement as to what actually happens. It seems everytime there is contact or an unusual situation, a coach starts hollering "interference" when it may be nothing more than incidental contact.

For example, Legion game, batter lays down a bunt and catcher throws ball wide to the foul side first. F3 moves to field the ball and there is a bump between F3 and the BR. Ball is not caught and goes down the right field line. First base coach starts hollering "interference". (what he really meant was obstruction). I judge incidental contact, both runner and F3 were doing what they were supposed to be doing. BR winds up at third so he really wasn't impeded.

Too often umpires feel they need to make a call. Don't be afraid to use common sense judgement.

Last edited by Mrumpiresir; Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 05:23am.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because every sentence was incomplete or incorrect. Let's see...

Quote:
If a batter, in the box, is doing what he normally would, I don't have any inteference.
A batter can be doing what he normally would and still interfere.

Quote:
If he carelessly moves out of the box and hinders the catcher
If he moves out of the box in any way, shape or form, and hinders the catcher, it is BI, even if he's trying to avoid it. Doesn't have to be careless or intentional.

Quote:
or does something intentional to hinder the play, call interference.
If he doesn't hinder the play, there's no interference.

Quote:
The rule book defines what is interference, but on the field you need to use judgement as to what actually happens. It seems everytime there is contact or an unusual situation, a coach starts hollering "interference" when it may be nothing more than incidental contact.

For example, Legion game, batter lays down a bunt and catcher throws ball wide to the foul side first. F3 moves to field the ball and there is a bump between F3 and the BR. Ball is not caught and goes down the right field line. First base coach starts hollering "interference". (what he really meant was obstruction). I judge incidental contact, both runner and F3 were doing what they were supposed to be doing. BR winds up at third so he really wasn't impeded.
Even if this had been interference, it's not BI.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir

Because every sentence was incomplete or incorrect. Let's see...

Nonsense.

Quote:
If a batter, in the box, is doing what he normally would, I don't have any inteference.

A batter can be doing what he normally would and still interfere.

This is true but simply standing up out of his crouch would not be interference.

Quote:
If he carelessly moves out of the box and hinders the catcher

If he moves out of the box in any way, shape or form, and hinders the catcher, it is BI, even if he's trying to avoid it. Doesn't have to be careless or intentional.

True, but you are nit-picking here.

Quote:
or does something intentional to hinder the play, call interference.

If he doesn't hinder the play, there's no interference.

Thats also true, but in my post I said he did hinder the play.

Quote:

Even if this had been interference, it's not BI.

The point you are missing is any interference is going to be a judgement call. Which was the only point I was trying to make.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is true but simply standing up out of his crouch would not be interference.
Yes, actually, it can be.

Quote:
True, but you are nit-picking here.
You're absolutely right, which is why I have an issue with your original post. BI has intricacies based on what happens with the ball, batter, and catcher, and is evaluated conditionally based on those facts. Blanket statements such as yours that are inaccurate gloss over those intricacies and find themselves as improper guidelines that actually get used.

So, yes, I'm going to nit-pick, because I want it called correctly.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yes, actually, it can be.

You're absolutely right, which is why I have an issue with your original post. BI has intricacies based on what happens with the ball, batter, and catcher, and is evaluated conditionally based on those facts. Blanket statements such as yours that are inaccurate gloss over those intricacies and find themselves as improper guidelines that actually get used.

So, yes, I'm going to nit-pick, because I want it called correctly.
OK, I want it called correctly also. The highlighted part above is judgement, isn't it.

I don't think my original post was wrong, although it may have been incomplete. But I think you are reading too much into it. I just tried to keep it simple. There is no doubt in my mind that you and I both know what constitutes interference and will make the approprite call.

Last edited by Mrumpiresir; Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 07:22am.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, I want it called correctly also. The highlighted part above is judgement, isn't it.
No. "Evaluated conditionally" is interpretation.

Judgment only refers to answering the question "What did I observe?" Any rule-based contextual evaluation or analysis of what you observed is interpretation.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Come on Matt, All I ever wanted to interject into the discussion was that in almost every situation there is a degree of judgement involved. Are you denying that is true?

It seems that you are saying BI is cut and dried and there is no room for judgement.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 09:15am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Come on Matt, All I ever wanted to interject into the discussion was that in almost every situation there is a degree of judgement involved. Are you denying that is true?

It seems that you are saying BI is cut and dried and there is no room for judgement.
Wishful thinking.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

What is wishful thinking? That judgement is involved?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teccan9nja View Post
These couple posts about BI makes me wonder what it would take to get a BI call. Specifically on pick-offs to third base. Many batters will notice the catcher pop up and take a step or two back in an attempt to get out of the way to avoid the call. Sometimes those actually get into the way of the catcher. I've never called it because I want to understand the call better before making it.
Batters that take a step or two back and hinder the throw are guilty of interference.

West Houston Mike