The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Runner on 3rd, B1 striks out, Cather goes to pick off R3 but B1 in way of throw. Does B1 need to move so Cather can throw down, or can he stay in the Batters Box and not move.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
I would have to see it, but based on this, I would not call anything. I base this on the timing of the play. Catcher catches the ball and as I am making the call he attempts to make the PO to 3rd base. I just don't see a lot of time for the BR to make an effort to leave the box.

However, if you have a delayed steal, I might have an issue with a BR just standing in the box. It all comes down to judgement.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Jumpmaster:

Runner on 2nd. Delayed steal of third. Batter is in the box and is as still as a statue. The catcher comes up to throw, but the throw hits the batter in the helmet and bounces out of play. Your call?
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

The batter can't disappear into thin air. Neither can he predict whether the catcher is going to throw behind him or in front of him. So wherever he moves, he risks interference. In the general case, if the batter stays where he is, I've got nothing.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue37
Jumpmaster:

Runner on 2nd. Delayed steal of third. Batter is in the box and is as still as a statue. The catcher comes up to throw, but the throw hits the batter in the helmet and bounces out of play. Your call?
MY Call, 911. Please send an ambulance to remove the batter from the box.

The batter can not disappear. He does not have to get out of the way, he cant get in the way. Unless the batter has ample time to move and does'nt.

[Edited by jicecone on Jun 10th, 2004 at 09:13 AM]
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Question

since the ball went out of play off of the batter but was thrown by the catcher wouldn't the runners get 2 bases?
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
my call

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue37
Jumpmaster:

I have a dead ball on a throw. R2 is awarded home b/c OBR 7.05g - (my paraphrase) a runner is awarded 2 bases when a thrown ball goes into a dead ball area. Awarded from the time of the throw. I would also call the trainer to come look at his kid who is laying on the ground doing the kicking chicken.

As long as the batter doesn't move, he's good. In our area, most coaches of players of shaving age (to steal HHH's saying)teach their kids this technique. If they move, they can move into a $#!+ storm unintentionally.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Players of all ages ask me this general question all the time. I tell them...

If the play is at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, then stay still in the box.

If the play is at Home, you need to find a way to disapear so that you do not interfere with the catcher, unless you are swinging at a pitch.

This is very basic, but will keep a batter out of trouble most of the time.

Nick