The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   More on Batter Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91469-more-batter-interference.html)

teccan9nja Thu May 31, 2012 05:35pm

More on Batter Interference

These couple posts about BI makes me wonder what it would take to get a BI call. Specifically on pick-offs to third base. Many batters will notice the catcher pop up and take a step or two back in an attempt to get out of the way to avoid the call. Sometimes those actually get into the way of the catcher. I've never called it because I want to understand the call better before making it.

mbyron Thu May 31, 2012 05:44pm

If the batter remains in the box and makes no abnormal movements, he is immune to BI, no matter where F2 throws the ball.

If he steps out or makes abnormal movements, and if he consequently hinders the defense, it is BI.

It's not that difficult in practice.

Matt Thu May 31, 2012 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 844232)
If the batter remains in the box and makes no abnormal movements, he is immune to BI, no matter where F2 throws the ball.

If he steps out or makes abnormal movements, and if he consequently hinders the defense, it is BI.

Ugh. The movement doesn't have to be abnormal to be interference.

rbmartin Thu May 31, 2012 08:01pm

Quote:

+1 (unless R3 is coming home)
I would define "abnormal movements" as any movement not related to or in conjunction with a legitimate swing.

Quote:

+1
Most "abnormal movements" I would be looking out for would be intentional in nature. I suppose there might be some unintentional ones but they are very infrequent.

Quote:

It's not difficult for me to call. Sometimes it is very difficult to explain it to some hothead coach who's kid you just called out.

Publius Thu May 31, 2012 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 844239)
Ugh. The movement doesn't have to be abnormal to be interference.

If the batter remains in the box, yes, it does.

Matt Thu May 31, 2012 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 844265)
If the batter remains in the box, yes, it does.

No, it does not.

David B Thu May 31, 2012 10:01pm

Quote:

Very well put - basically the batter is safe in the box for most baseball.
If he does something abnormal, you as an umpire will know it.

Thanks
David

mbyron Fri Jun 01, 2012 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 844267)
No, it does not.

Any published case plays support your interp?

Matt Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 844323)
Any published case plays support your interp?

The first one I can think of is for FED. 7.3.5e says if the batter moves after the pitch is caught, he is liable for interference.

mbyron Sat Jun 02, 2012 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FED Case Book
7.3.5 SITUATION E: With less than two outs, R1 on second and B2 at the plate,
R1 attempts to steal third. In the process, B2, who bats right-handed, after swinging
or not swinging at the pitch (a) makes no attempt to get out of the way of F2
throwing to third or (b) is unable to make an attempt to get out of the way of F2
throwing to third. As a result, F2 cannot make a play on the runner. Is B2 out, and
must R1 return to second? RULING: B2 is not guilty of interference in (a) or (b).
B2 is entitled to his position in the batter’s box and is not subject to being
penalized for interference unless he moves or re-establishes his position after F2
has received the pitch, which then prevents F2 from attempting to play on a
runner
. Failing to move so F2 can make a throw is not batter interference.

So this seems to be the clause grounding your interp. Just so I understand what you're saying, you'll call BI if the batter is still in the box and makes no abnormal movements?

What's odd about this case play is that the ruling in BOTH cases (a) and (b) is no interference. Then the RULING provides a principle on which to call it. Very strange.

thumpferee Sat Jun 02, 2012 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 844475)
So this seems to be the clause grounding your interp. Just so I understand what you're saying, you'll call BI if the batter is still in the box and makes no abnormal movements?

What's odd about this case play is that the ruling in BOTH cases (a) and (b) is no interference. Then the RULING provides a principle on which to call it. Very strange.

Sit. R2, B2 (RH) at the plate. R2 stealing third on the pitch. B2 follows the pitch, thinks about swinging, but the pitch is low and outside. As a result, he leans forward and down as catcher receives the pitch. B2 then leans back up to his original stance as F2 throws to third in an attempt to throw out R2.

Interference? Was this move abnormal?

Rich Sat Jun 02, 2012 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 844475)

I would argue that such a move is abnormal. Standing back up after leaning out to block a catcher's throw would be abnormal movement, in my mind.

Are we arguing about something on which we violently agree?

MrUmpire Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:38am

What we have here is failure to communicate

The problem stems from trying to insert a word which does not, apparently, have a universal meaning to all people. It is also unnecessary. The rule is worded just fine the way it is.

jicecone Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 844482)
I would argue that such a move is abnormal. Standing back up after leaning out to block a catcher's throw would be abnormal movement, in my mind.

Really? Now your trying to insert yourself into the game. You may have a better argument that if the play was at second, the Batter could be called for leaning over the plate, but returning to his original stance is stretching it.

Batter ducks for a pitch just over his head and when he returns to his normal stance he gets hit with the throw to a base. I suppose your calling that BI too.

CT1 Sun Jun 03, 2012 07:16am

A well-trained F2 won't have a problem with a batter who remains in the box.