The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Batter Interference

I read the OBR rule on BI and if I read it correctly the batter is the one declared out. For some reason, I have in my memory that an umpire told me that its the batter declared out unless there are two outs at which point the runner is declared to be out. Am I just "misremembering?"

Is the BI rule the same across OBR/FED/NCAA?
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

spence,

Normally on a BI call the batter (the one who interfered) is the one called out.

The exception is when he interferes with less than two outs AND a runner advancing from 3B on a steal or squeeze. In that case, the R3 is called out.

Also, if the batter just struck out on the pitch and then interferes, the runner being played upon is called out (since the batter is already out) regardless of the number of outs or where the runner is.

Also, if the catcher is able to retire the runner on his initial attempt, the interference is disregarded.

This is the same across all three codes.

The only "variance" I can think of is in FED "backswing interference" results in the batter being called out, while in NCAA & OBR it is simply a dead ball and runners return.

JM
Old Wed Apr 14, 2010, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
spence,

Normally on a BI call the batter (the one who interfered) is the one called out.

The exception is when he interferes with less than two outs AND a runner advancing from 3B on a steal or squeeze. In that case, the R3 is called out.

Also, if the batter just struck out on the pitch and then interferes, the runner being played upon is called out (since the batter is already out) regardless of the number of outs or where the runner is.

Also, if the catcher is able to retire the runner on his initial attempt, the interference is disregarded.

This is the same across all three codes.

The only "variance" I can think of is in FED "backswing interference" results in the batter being called out, while in NCAA & OBR it is simply a dead ball and runners return.

JM
JM,

In Fed, if the BI is on strike 3 the play is really close at 2B and the PU believes that the BI is why the out at 2B is not made, the PU can get the 2nd out at 2B too (Case Book 7.3.5 situation D)