The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 01:46pm
Veteran College Umpire

Interference?

OBR/NCAA/FED
Runner on first, possible bunt situation so the first baseman is playing in. Batter hits a ground ball that is deflected by the first baseman and then hits the runner from first who's heading for second...BUT...the second baseman is in a postion to field the ball and make a play on the batter-runner.

Interference?

JJ
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 02:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
OBR/NCAA/FED
Runner on first, possible bunt situation so the first baseman is playing in. Batter hits a ground ball that is deflected by the first baseman and then hits the runner from first who's heading for second...BUT...the second baseman is in a postion to field the ball and make a play on the batter-runner.

Interference?

JJ
I'm going with no in all three codes. The ball has already been touched by a fielder. If the ball only passed the fielder untouched, the F4 is entitled to make a play without interference. I don't believe the runner can be held responsible for a booted deflection by F3.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Different for OBR and FED.

OBR: No INT. The rule protects the first fielder, not just any fielder in a position to field the ball. It's INT if a batted ball touches a runner "before the ball has touched or passed an infielder" 7.08f. That's not the case here, play on.

FED: INT. It's INT if the runner "is contacted by a fair batted ball before it touches an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire is convinced that another infielder has a play" 8-4-2k. So if you judge that F4 has a play, the correct ruling is INT.

Don't know NCAA, sorry.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
FED: INT. It's INT if the runner "is contacted by a fair batted ball before it touches an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire is convinced that another infielder has a play" 8-4-2k. So if you judge that F4 has a play, the correct ruling is INT.
Nope. The relevant part of the rule is the part you didn't bold. Once the ball touches a fielder, no interference. 8.4.2i.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OBR/NCAA/FED

Interference?

JJ
I know this is first baseman, but I thought I remember reading if it hits F1 and ricochets, there are guidelines and it might or might not be interference in OBR.

I'll have to look it up and see. Don't know if the same applies to F3

Thanks
David
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Have interference here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I know this is first baseman, but I thought I remember reading if it hits F1 and ricochets, there are guidelines and it might or might not be interference in OBR.

Thanks
David
Here is a MLB situation
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Must C Controversial: Padres play game under protest - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA 8.2.g

all infielders, other than the pitcher
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Legitimate play?

Quote:
OBR/NCAA/FED

Interference?

JJ
Rule interference, NCAA 8.5.d.

MLB 5.09f. Ball is live and in play. MLB 7.09k. Rule interference.

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 26, 2012 at 08:59pm.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post

Thanks
David
MLBUM 6.4 makes it clear that a deflected ball that hits a runner is not interference, regardless of if a play was possible. Only exception is for intent.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Rule interference, NCAA 8.5.d.
Nope. A.R. 2 refers to interference with a fielder, not the ball.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
NCAA 8.2.g

all infielders, other than the pitcher
Pretty sure you have the wrong rule reference. I could be wrong, but I think that rule is for the ball passing a fielder and hitting a runner.

Under NCAA, even if the pitcher deflects it and it hits a runner, it is alive and you play it.

The NCAA had this question on the test this year and they screwed it up. I answered it correctly and they said it was wrong. We went over it extensively on one of the other forums earlier this spring.

Last edited by zm1283; Sat May 26, 2012 at 09:29pm.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

This play is not like the play in the OP at the top. This play has to do with INT by R1 on F4, not a deflected ball hitting the runner.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

String theory revisited?

Yes the ball is live and in play after being deflected into the runner, MLB 5.09f. If another fielder has a legitimate play, runner is out for interference, MLB 7.09k.

Again, no interference for deflecting the ball, agreed? The umpire shall not declare the runner out for being touched by a deflected batted ball. However, interference for preventing another fielder from making a play on BR.

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 26, 2012 at 09:49pm.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes the ball is live and in play after being deflected into the runner, MLB 5.09f. If another fielder has a legitimate play, runner is out for interference, MLB 7.09k.
No. Read above.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 10:44pm

Quote:

Again, no interference for deflecting the ball, agreed? The umpire shall not declare the runner out for being touched by a deflected batted ball. However, interference for preventing another fielder from making a play on BR.
That is not what 7.09(k) says at all. If the ball is deflected into a runner, the umpire SHALL NOT declare the runner out. If the ball passes BY or THROUGH (i.e., not deflected) and touches the runner, and the umpire is convinced that another fielder has a play on the ball, then it's INT. If a deflected ball is deliberately AND intentionally kicked, only then is it INT.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25