The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Interference? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91378-interference.html)

JJ Sat May 26, 2012 01:46pm

Interference?

OBR/NCAA/FED
Runner on first, possible bunt situation so the first baseman is playing in. Batter hits a ground ball that is deflected by the first baseman and then hits the runner from first who's heading for second...BUT...the second baseman is in a postion to field the ball and make a play on the batter-runner.

Interference?

JJ

SanDiegoSteve Sat May 26, 2012 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 843499)
OBR/NCAA/FED
Runner on first, possible bunt situation so the first baseman is playing in. Batter hits a ground ball that is deflected by the first baseman and then hits the runner from first who's heading for second...BUT...the second baseman is in a postion to field the ball and make a play on the batter-runner.

Interference?

JJ

I'm going with no in all three codes. The ball has already been touched by a fielder. If the ball only passed the fielder untouched, the F4 is entitled to make a play without interference. I don't believe the runner can be held responsible for a booted deflection by F3.

mbyron Sat May 26, 2012 05:07pm

Different for OBR and FED.

OBR: No INT. The rule protects the first fielder, not just any fielder in a position to field the ball. It's INT if a batted ball touches a runner "before the ball has touched or passed an infielder" 7.08f. That's not the case here, play on.

FED: INT. It's INT if the runner "is contacted by a fair batted ball before it touches an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire is convinced that another infielder has a play" 8-4-2k. So if you judge that F4 has a play, the correct ruling is INT.

Don't know NCAA, sorry.

Matt Sat May 26, 2012 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 843509)
FED: INT. It's INT if the runner "is contacted by a fair batted ball before it touches an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire is convinced that another infielder has a play" 8-4-2k. So if you judge that F4 has a play, the correct ruling is INT.

Nope. The relevant part of the rule is the part you didn't bold. Once the ball touches a fielder, no interference. 8.4.2i.

David B Sat May 26, 2012 06:10pm

Quote:

OBR/NCAA/FED

Interference?

JJ

I know this is first baseman, but I thought I remember reading if it hits F1 and ricochets, there are guidelines and it might or might not be interference in OBR.

I'll have to look it up and see. Don't know if the same applies to F3

Thanks
David

SAump Sat May 26, 2012 07:14pm

Have interference here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 843515)
I know this is first baseman, but I thought I remember reading if it hits F1 and ricochets, there are guidelines and it might or might not be interference in OBR.

Thanks
David

Here is a MLB situation
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Must C Controversial: Padres play game under protest - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

thumpferee Sat May 26, 2012 08:26pm

NCAA 8.2.g

all infielders, other than the pitcher

SAump Sat May 26, 2012 08:42pm

Legitimate play?

Quote:

OBR/NCAA/FED

Interference?

JJ

Rule interference, NCAA 8.5.d.

MLB 5.09f. Ball is live and in play. MLB 7.09k. Rule interference.

Matt Sat May 26, 2012 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 843515)

Thanks
David

MLBUM 6.4 makes it clear that a deflected ball that hits a runner is not interference, regardless of if a play was possible. Only exception is for intent.

Matt Sat May 26, 2012 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 843528)
Rule interference, NCAA 8.5.d.

Nope. A.R. 2 refers to interference with a fielder, not the ball.

zm1283 Sat May 26, 2012 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 843524)
NCAA 8.2.g

all infielders, other than the pitcher

Pretty sure you have the wrong rule reference. I could be wrong, but I think that rule is for the ball passing a fielder and hitting a runner.

Under NCAA, even if the pitcher deflects it and it hits a runner, it is alive and you play it.

The NCAA had this question on the test this year and they screwed it up. I answered it correctly and they said it was wrong. We went over it extensively on one of the other forums earlier this spring.

zm1283 Sat May 26, 2012 09:29pm

This play is not like the play in the OP at the top. This play has to do with INT by R1 on F4, not a deflected ball hitting the runner.

SAump Sat May 26, 2012 09:41pm

String theory revisited?

Yes the ball is live and in play after being deflected into the runner, MLB 5.09f. If another fielder has a legitimate play, runner is out for interference, MLB 7.09k.

Again, no interference for deflecting the ball, agreed? The umpire shall not declare the runner out for being touched by a deflected batted ball. However, interference for preventing another fielder from making a play on BR.

Matt Sat May 26, 2012 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 843545)
Yes the ball is live and in play after being deflected into the runner, MLB 5.09f. If another fielder has a legitimate play, runner is out for interference, MLB 7.09k.

No. Read above.

SanDiegoSteve Sat May 26, 2012 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 843545)

Again, no interference for deflecting the ball, agreed? The umpire shall not declare the runner out for being touched by a deflected batted ball. However, interference for preventing another fielder from making a play on BR.

That is not what 7.09(k) says at all. If the ball is deflected into a runner, the umpire SHALL NOT declare the runner out. If the ball passes BY or THROUGH (i.e., not deflected) and touches the runner, and the umpire is convinced that another fielder has a play on the ball, then it's INT. If a deflected ball is deliberately AND intentionally kicked, only then is it INT.