The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 08:20am
TODO: creative title here

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's given me a lot to think about.

Re: why go 6-4-5 instead of 6-4-3: both R1 and R2 "Froze" when the ball was hit, and didn't start running again until the ball was clearly on the ground... BR was sprinting immediately on contact, so by the time F6 recovered the ball and threw to F4, BR was about 2/3 of the way to 1st and R2 was about halfway between 2nd and 3rd... so the easier play was actually on R2.

RE: hiring two... believe me, we've tried. All of these schools claim they don't have the money for it... and I believe about 15% of them, although I don't believe it in the case of either school that was playing in this game.

Hell, last night I had a minor sh-tstorm on the part of a coach in a 1-umpire game after an attempted pickoff play on R3 after a pitch. (talk about having NO angle whatsoever). A quick "Coach, I need a second set of eyes to make that call" didn't necessarily calm him down, but it did get him to shut up and retreat back to his dugout.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 08:30am
In Time Out

Arrow

You are a man with an impossible task met with unreasonable expectations in a land of quandary. Have fun out there. Tomorrow will be a better today!
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 09:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestUmp View Post
You are a man with an impossible task met with unreasonable expectations in a land of quandary. Have fun out there. Tomorrow will be a better today!
Yet another incarnation of our favorite troll, I'm guessing.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
Yet another incarnation of our favorite troll, I'm guessing.
Give him the benefit of the doubt - he's not trolled yet. Besides ... can't be the other guy, he spelled quandary correctly.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:21am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Give him the benefit of the doubt - he's not trolled yet. Besides ... can't be the other guy, he spelled quandary correctly.
I'd put good money on it, the posting style is exactly the same.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'd put good money on it, the posting style is exactly the same.
Exactly. And I may have a "new" account, but trust me I was around for the previous incarnations of the same troll and the posting style is identical.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:32am
In Time Out

New account? What was the old account? Any account? My bad, let's get back to officiating!
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's clear I was wrong...

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Wouldn't R2 be hauling just as much tail AND with a bigger lead-off? I know he has to slow a bit to slide, but I can't imagine R3 touching the plate is an automatic given in this situation.
With the ball hit to the right of F6 [OP], I'm guessing the coach's admonition: "Ball hit to this side, make sure it's through" is keeping R2 closer to 2d, at least at first and until the ball is thrown to 2d for the force on R1. And, retreating [or at least pulling up] so that the fielder has to take "a couple steps" toward 2d to make the tag - still more time for an unimpeded R3 to make it home.

So - automatic? No. But a whole lot more likely than not. Score the run unless you are SURE he was tardy.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 01:55pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Who is the other guy you were referring to?

Trolling seems to have two definitions around here.

New guy=troll, I suppose.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just my 2 cents - moving into the infield during a play on the infield is a horrible idea, and you'll find yourself dodging thrown balls, avoiding players moving to back up somewhere, and having half of the play develop behind you.

Just a note regarding being more abrupt with coaches regarding what you did or did not see due to there only being 1 of you --- be sure you are positive the reason you are alone is the coaches' fault. Seems to me that the majority of my 1-man games resulted from a flaky partner, and not cheap schools or leagues. Also, don't forget that YOU accepted this game.
Seriously? Where do you have BU go/stand during plays in the infield when you have a full crew? While I agree there is some danger of needing to avoid a throw from 2d to home, there is no other situation I can think of where moving inside TO THE HOME SIDE OF THE MOUND could possibly put you in anyone's [or anything's] way. As for part of the play developing behind you, see "1-man {!!HA!!} mechanics" in my previous post - that is gonna happen, no matter what you do; so at least improve both angle and distance to 3/4 of the places you need to see. Actually, it's more like 4/5 improvement, 'cause if there is a play at the plate and you are halfway up 3bl and wide to "open up" the field of view, you are likely to have no view at all of what happens thru R3's backside.

OP stated this was assigned one-man, so we can forget penance for our worthless no-show partner; and The Game was accepted because the assigner needs/ expects someone to take it, and usually the guy who gets offered this kind of game isn't given much choice. Accepting a one-man assignment does not obligate one to tolerate whinging by the people who decided to forego the expense of a 2d umpire when the natural and predicable consequences of their parsimony bite them in the azz; or to be more tolerant or even appologetic for the limitations of our "One-man {I repeat, !!HA!!} mechanics".
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 02:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

He is not new, he has been here before under many different names and he may not have trolled yet but he will.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 04:46pm
In Time Out

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mbcrowder

Quote:

Trolling seems to have two definitions around here. New guy=troll, I suppose.
Now I get it. Only fair, the new guy has to seek and gain acceptance into the Club! OK, fair enough! I'll try my best. I always do!
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 09:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post

A] contrary to all your instincts and proper TWO-MAN mechanics, react to this sitch by moving INTO the infield toward the home-side of the mound. From here you have improved your distance toward the likely 1st play at 2d base, and also improved your angle for following plays on either corner. 'Course, if they try to cut down R3 at the plate, you may eat horsehide for supper, but at least you will be looking into the play at the plate [assuming you are not wearing the ball], rather than up its azz - which is where you'll be if you go up 3bl in foul territory.
Then why would you ever go into fair territory with runners in scoring position? I've worked a ton of one man games over the years, and that's not the place you want to be.
Quote:
Just my 2 cents - moving into the infield during a play on the infield is a horrible idea, and you'll find yourself dodging thrown balls, avoiding players moving to back up somewhere, and having half of the play develop behind you.
Exactly. You can call everything you need to call from foul territory when runners are in scoring position. On first to 3rd, I'm still at the cutout at 3rd waiting on that runner, but I'm getting out of Dodge if there is going to be action at home plate.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 09:28pm

Quote:

No, old guy troll with new troll guy user name=troll.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25