The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 08:41am
TODO: creative title here

1-Umpire mechanics question

Situation:
Bases Loaded, 1 out. I'm PU, working alone.

Batter hits a sharp line drive to the right of F6. F6 takes a quick step to his right, and gets a glove on it enough to knock the ball down. I take my step out towards 3B in foul territory. F6 recovers the ball, throws to F4 for the force at second. F4 throws to F5, while I move about 5 steps up towards 3B to cover the tag play. F5 tags out R2. Inning over.

Head coach, on his way back to the dugout, asks me if F3's run counts or not.

Gulp.

Obviously, if R3 had touched home plate prior to the tag on R2, the run counts, and if R3 hadn't crossed home place prior to the tag, then the run would not count.

The problem is, because of my positioning at the time of the tag (about halfway between 3rd and home, about 2 steps into foul territory, looking directly at 3B), I had no idea about R3's status at the time of the tag.

So, my question to all of you... where should I have been to get the best look at all of this action? (And unfortunately, "hire a BU" isn't an acceptable answer, as I don't get to make that decision).
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 08:50am

The important thing here is to have awareness of the situation and know you might have a time play to rule on. I haven't worked 1-man in a long time and I haven't looked at a manual on it, but my instinct tells me to get to where you need to be to get an angle on a call on the bases, but if you have a time play possibility, you need to be making a call and taking a look back at the plate to give yourself a chance to get this call right. IMO, the benefit of the doubt goes to the offense and you have to KNOW that the runner didn't cross the plate before the 3rd out.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
The important thing here is to have awareness of the situation and know you might have a time play to rule on. I haven't worked 1-man in a long time and I haven't looked at a manual on it, but my instinct tells me to get to where you need to be to get an angle on a call on the bases, but if you have a time play possibility, you need to be making a call and taking a look back at the plate to give yourself a chance to get this call right. IMO, the benefit of the doubt goes to the offense and you have to KNOW that the runner didn't cross the plate before the 3rd out.
When working by yourself you do the best that you can. In a time play situation you need to position yourself to make the call and quickly locate the runner going home. Priority one make the call on the base and then locate the runner. If he looks like he scored count the run if not don't. If anyone *****es say if you want this called properly get me a partner. I've even gone this far on long distant calls when a Coach complains. Coach you could be right but from 90 feet away he looked out/safe to me. I've found that if you hustle and get out from behind the plate to make calls you have less trouble.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

angle

I would suggest backing up, towards 3rd base dugout to widen your view of field. In a 1 man senario, you do the best you can and make a call. Coach was just trying to shake you up a bit and start you questioning your calls. Don't fall for it.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 09:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Make a best guess. It's all you can do. Tolerate little arguing afterwards.

I had the hardest play (that I can remember) to call on the bases on Sunday and we were working 2-man. D3 college, R1+R3, 1 out. Corners in. Line smash to third, F5 backhand catches the liner and dives for R3 sliding back in. I'd love to see a video. I got one step from the B position and saw a hand get in while F5 was still lunging and I called R3 safe. Not a word from anyone, but I really have no clue if I really got it right.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

What Age Group?

Yes you could have rotated up to 3rd base line extended, however, the team didn't do the expected 6-4-3 double play. They instead went for the 6-4-5 DP with a tag play. However, this is not an expected position based on the potential for a pulled foot, swipe tag that may occur on a 6-4-3 DP.

Which coach is asking - Offense or Defensive?

Use your logic to deduce if R3 scored. How?

1) Did R3 go by in your peripheral vision between home and 3rd?
2) Was there sufficent time for R3 to reach the plate prior to the tag play based on your distance from Home Plate, and the tiem you saw him in your vision?
3) Do you believe that if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it still makes a sound?

As for telling the cheap *** coach that not hiring a 2nd ump is Crap. Tell the frillin' truth. "Coach, that's a 50 dollar call."
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 11:14am
TODO: creative title here

Boys JV... two pretty decent teams (with pitchers who could actually locate the strike zone, which doesn't always happen in JV).

The offensive coach asked about it on his way back to the dugout. Luckily, he was one of the nicest coaches I've ever worked a game for, and didn't complain a bit when I said that I wasn't sure if he scored, so we weren't going to count the run. (In fact, not counting the run was actually his idea).

In retrospect, the run almost definitely scored... R2 slowed down on the way to 3B, so F5 actually caught the ball at 3B and took 2 steps to apply the tag. I just wish I would've been able to have definite knowledge.

And yes, I definitely was prepared to pull out the "If you want that call, hire a second umpire" card if I needed to... fortunately it wasn't necessary.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

In 1-man, angle is FAR more important than distance. With bases loaded, I'm initially moving left to clear the pitcher from my sight of the possible play at 2nd, and let the play develop, but with a runner coming home, I'm staying WAY closer to home than I would otherwise, and never going into fair territory. Sounds like the advice above - backup toward the dugout to expand your peripheral vision - would have worked after the play at 2nd.

Awareness is critical here - being aware of the possible time play once the force went to 2nd and not then to 1st (weird play ... why was 3rd base a better play for the 2nd baseman than 1st base would have been???), you've got to watch the play at third, but the instant you see the 3rd out (even before signalling it), you're looking home.

Incidentally - the answer to the coach should have been simply, "Yes, she scored."

One good thing - next time this play develops, your instinct will take your head to the plate. You won't miss this one again.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

mb, I believe you have the mechanic I'm describing incorrect. 3BL is 3rd base line extended into foul territory, and 1BL is 1st base line extended into foul territory.

The defense tried the un-orthodox 6-4-5 (Short-Second-Third) tag play DP, instead of the simpler 6-4-3 (Short-Second-First) DP.

If you're 3BL, you're not in a bad position for seeing both, but if you float out 1BL and open up, you're not gonna see both no matter how cross eyed you can make yourself from outside the dirt circle of Home plate. If you can, then your potentially an example of how humans evolved from fish with your eyes on the side of your head instead of on the front.

I know, I've heard the story how a very prominent umpire/instructor met his second or third wife who was Blond, by describing the eyes in the back of his head and how he could see the number of fingers on his hand when he looked the other way.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom View Post
mb, I believe you have the mechanic I'm describing incorrect. 3BL is 3rd base line extended into foul territory, and 1BL is 1st base line extended into foul territory.

The defense tried the un-orthodox 6-4-5 (Short-Second-Third) tag play DP, instead of the simpler 6-4-3 (Short-Second-First) DP.

If you're 3BL, you're not in a bad position for seeing both, but if you float out 1BL and open up, you're not gonna see both no matter how cross eyed you can make yourself from outside the dirt circle of Home plate. If you can, then your potentially an example of how humans evolved from fish with your eyes on the side of your head instead of on the front.

I know, I've heard the story how a very prominent umpire/instructor met his second or third wife who was Blond, by describing the eyes in the back of his head and how he could see the number of fingers on his hand when he looked the other way.
I see. I think, however, I'd stick with moving up the 3BL (not extended... toward 3rd). First, that's our natural first inclination anyway on a hit ball; second - the more likely play here is at 2nd or 3rd; third - moving to 3BL gives you a horrible angle at 1st base, a possible first play and likely 2nd play.

Besides - I don't think sticking with EITHER BLE gives you enough separation from the pitcher to make a call at 2nd base. You need to get up a foul line, then (in this case) back toward the dugout to expand your periphery.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

First of all [and no disrespect intended to you], let me put on record that I hold the concept of "1-man mechanics" to be an oxymoronic joke. With only one umpire on a 90-foot field, you are, of necessity, making s#!t up as you go, mechanics-wise. Get where you need to be to see as much of what you need to see as possible, while remaining in a sufficiently flexible position to react to events as they develop. And take ABSOLUTELY NO static from the cheap SOB coaches who won't hire a second set of eyes and legs.

-<[/Rant off]>-

That said, I have the following suggestions:

A] contrary to all your instincts and proper TWO-MAN mechanics, react to this sitch by moving INTO the infield toward the home-side of the mound. From here you have improved your distance toward the likely 1st play at 2d base, and also improved your angle for following plays on either corner. 'Course, if they try to cut down R3 at the plate, you may eat horsehide for supper, but at least you will be looking into the play at the plate [assuming you are not wearing the ball], rather than up its azz - which is where you'll be if you go up 3bl in foul territory. AND, moving in this direction allows you to "open your field of view" more than [realistically] you can in foul territory, increasing the chance that you will see R3 cross the plate, or at least know how far away he was when you turned your attention exclusively to the developing 3d-out play.

B] Rather than not counting the run because you are not SURE R3 scored in time, I would advocate the opposite analysis: score the run unless you are SURE the 3d out came first. By all means, use the techniques and secondary evidence suggested by others to "catch" the R3 who lollygags his way down the baseline; but in most cases, R3 is off like a shot and hauling freight, with a substantial lead-off into the bargain. If R3 DIDN'T score in time, he probably tripped over his shoelace and face-planted short of home plate, where you will find him when you "GLANCE at the Runner(s)" after "watch(ing) the ball". If when you look back at the plate after calling the third out, R3 is halfway to his dugout high-fiveing his teammates, it is very likely he was across the plate before the 3d out was made.

Last edited by cbfoulds; Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 10:22pm. Reason: need spell-check
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
in most cases, R3 is off like a shot and hauling freight, with a substantial lead-off into the bargain.
Wouldn't R2 be hauling just as much tail AND with a bigger lead-off? I know he has to slow a bit to slide, but I can't imagine R3 touching the plate is an automatic given in this situation.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 07:46am
Official & ***** Member

Guys:

R3 will ALWAYS (defined as 99 44/100%) score on this play. Just count the run & sleep well.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Just my 2 cents - moving into the infield during a play on the infield is a horrible idea, and you'll find yourself dodging thrown balls, avoiding players moving to back up somewhere, and having half of the play develop behind you.

Just a note regarding being more abrupt with coaches regarding what you did or did not see due to there only being 1 of you --- be sure you are positive the reason you are alone is the coaches' fault. Seems to me that the majority of my 1-man games resulted from a flaky partner, and not cheap schools or leagues. Also, don't forget that YOU accepted this game.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Situation:
Bases Loaded, 1 out. I'm PU, working alone.

Batter hits a sharp line drive to the right of F6. F6 takes a quick step to his right, and gets a glove on it enough to knock the ball down. I take my step out towards 3B in foul territory. F6 recovers the ball, throws to F4 for the force at second. F4 throws to F5, while I move about 5 steps up towards 3B to cover the tag play. F5 tags out R2.

Head coach, on his way back to the dugout, asks me if F3's run counts or not.

So, my question to all of you... where should I have been to get the best look at all of this action? (And unfortunately, "hire a BU" isn't an acceptable answer, as I don't get to make that decision).
The REAL answer is "hire a BU" when working solo you cannot see everything like all runners touching all the bases. It's virtually impossible.

Let's take a look at the events

1. sharp line drive to the right of F6. F6 takes a quick step to his right, and gets a glove on it enough to knock the ball down.

Since it's a line shot R3 has to freeze (you said 1 out bases juiced) R3 now sees the ball on the ground and takes off.

2. F6 recovers the ball, throws to F4 for the force at second. Unless you have a REAL slow runner at third, R3 should be at least half way or more to home plate.

3. F4 throws to F5, while I move about 5 steps up towards 3B to cover the tag play. F5 tags out R2. F4 receives the throw from

F6 and now has to throw to F5.

Conclusion: Unless the runner at third was slow I would score the run. Also, I agree with another poster, when solo I would go to the mound area or what's commonly referred to as the "library area" to make most calls.

FWIW I hope they pay you a FEE plus 1/2 and as the weather gets hotter they should hire at least 2.

Pete Booth