The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I have a comment and a question on coverage in a two umpire worked fastpitch game.R1 was on first base with no outs.I was in the B position as R1 was stealing on the pitch.The batter laid down a bunt,in which my number one priority was the whacker at first base.Immediately after making my call at first base,I pivoted toward second base anticipating F4's throw back into second base.I pumped out R1 as she was headed back into second base after making the turn.The offensive coach called time and approached me to question my call at second.I told him she was tug out far prior to reaching the base.He wanted obstruction on F6 as she collided with R1 as I was making my call at first base.I consulted my plate umpire and he alertly saw the obstruction on R1,in which I disqualified my out call and put R1 back on second base.My question is on the coverage of this play.Fortunately my partner hustled and saw that play.As a base umpire,is there something I could have done to better see that play even though my priority is the first call at first base?
Jeff
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

If you had a really close call at first you would probably
need eyes in the back of your head to see that obstruction--
that's why a 2 umpire system works better than a single one---
your partner behind home plate is supposed to be ready to
help you out there----- there might be some who disagree,
but it sounds to me that you both did the right thing !
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
I think you did all you could. I would talk to my partner and let him/her know that if they have obstruction to go ahead and make the call and the award after the action is over, not to wait for the coach.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thumbs up applause !

CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP ...
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

obstruction where? past 2nd? then should the runner be put on 3rd?

Great teamwork!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Depends on what rules were being used. For ASA, she should be put on the base she would have achieved had there been no interference (umpire judgment).
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by AlabamaBlue
I think you did all you could. I would talk to my partner and let him/her know that if they have obstruction to go ahead and make the call and the award after the action is over, not to wait for the coach.
Mostly agree, but the partner should go to the umpire making the original call before making the award. One should never overrule the other and there might be a factor not seen by the partner.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
The 2nd or 3rd question depends on which way the runner was going at the time of the collision. The original post sounded like it happened going back to 2nd, so 2nd it is. If it happened going toward 3rd, then it's 3rd if the umpire judged the runner would have reached 3rd without the obstruction. But if it happened going toward 3rd and the umpire judged that the runner would not have reached 3rd anyway, then it's 2nd (because the runner can not be put out in between the bases where the obstruction occurred).