The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Question on single umpire mechanics

I know single umpire mechanics has a lot of limitations, especially with pick off throws to the bases. Here is what I did. Anyone have any suggestions on what I did wrong, or what I could have done better?

R1 on 3rd. Passed ball goes out on the third base side of home. Expecting the runner, and wanting to stay out of the way of the play from F2, I exit right and position myself with as near a 90 degree angle as I can - basically 3rd base line extended. R1 has started to come home, changes her mind and attempt to return to 3rd. I'm blocked up the base line by F1 covering home. I move up the 1st base line to try to get an angle, but am completely blocked by F5 standing in the infield. F6 comes over for the play, and it certainly appears to me that she got there in time to take the throw and make a tag on the diving R1. But, I could see nothing, so I called SAFE. D coach was displeased, but understood that I was blocked.

If I had exited left (as normal) I could have seen the play at 3rd but would have been in the way of a possible play at home.

Any suggestions / corrections?
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I know single umpire mechanics has a lot of limitations, especially with pick off throws to the bases. Here is what I did. Anyone have any suggestions on what I did wrong, or what I could have done better?

R1 on 3rd. Passed ball goes out on the third base side of home. Expecting the runner, and wanting to stay out of the way of the play from F2, I exit right and position myself with as near a 90 degree angle as I can - basically 3rd base line extended. R1 has started to come home, changes her mind and attempt to return to 3rd. I'm blocked up the base line by F1 covering home. I move up the 1st base line to try to get an angle, but am completely blocked by F5 standing in the infield. F6 comes over for the play, and it certainly appears to me that she got there in time to take the throw and make a tag on the diving R1. But, I could see nothing, so I called SAFE. D coach was displeased, but understood that I was blocked.

If I had exited left (as normal) I could have seen the play at 3rd but would have been in the way of a possible play at home.

Maybe softball solo mechanics are different than baseball but here's my take on things.

You should have moved to the 3B side. Watch F2 and locate the ball (F2 will take you to the ball). Position yourself so that you aren't in the way, it may take some hussle but that's what you should be doing. Maybe you have to move deeper toward the fence, or maybe move up the line some (or a combo of things). As you see the play developing you've got to be moving into position. Don't just stand around, go with the play (the ball).

Note: If, in your position at 3B extended, you said that you were blocked by F1, then F1 would have probably blocked your view of a tag at home too, unless it was a swipe tag.

You called it correctly considering you didn't see the play.

The coaches in your area must be nicer than around here because they would never settle for "Sorry coach, I was blocked" because as an umpire you are expected to 'not be blocked' and to be able to see the play.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Actually, he was very well behaved. As I turned to return to my position, he was standing in the 1B dugout. Without me saying anything, he said, "I know; you were blocked."

As to getting in position on the 3B side, that is the normal mechanic, but the passed ball was heading back to the backstop and was in a position such that I had no room on the left side without crossing between F2 and the plate.

As to F1, she moved over into my line of sight once R1 reversed direction. Why, I have no idea.

Last edited by Dakota; Mon May 01, 2006 at 11:31am.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I would have, and have done it the same way, Tom. You cannot go to 3B side without being in the way of a play at the plate. 1B side is your best angle for the plate.

I would have also gone up 1B line when I realized the play was going back to 3B. In my mind, it was good mechanics done in by unfortunate circumstances. Make your best call. With one-man system, coaches have to live with it.

WMB
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

The home plate part does happen, even with two umpires, and is not all that rare. The only answer I have is exit left, regardless of where the ball is going and hope you get past the ball fast enough. If F2 has a play on the runner, there probably is time for her to get back after we get past.
This is a bit like the play I posted about being boxed out on the foul side of the 1st base line. In both, a roundabout path for angle like your "move up the 1st base line" is the alternate, although toward the PP at the same time might have helped get a view past F5.

Best part of all was "I could see nothing, so I called SAFE". But then I would have told the coach is it was the BU call.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Make your best call. With one-man system, coaches have to live with it.WMB
In a very similar situation, with a well behaved coach who was also the person paying me, I told the coach that this type of call is the price you pay for only having one umpire. No arguments at all. In fact, he said, "You're right, there was no way you could have seen that". Unfortunately, no all coaches are that understanding.

If I could be omnipresent and omniscient, I don't think I would be umpiring in my free time. Although, if I did, I would be much better.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

IMO, 3B line extended is one of the worse positions a softball umpire can take. To see ANY play, you have to depend on the runner sliding to one-side or the other and pray the never reverse their path.

I would suggest you exit right, but come through the LH batter's box and get an angle on the play from inside the diamond and adjust as the play unfolds. From here, you are not in the middle of any possible play. You are prepared to take the runner back to 3B. Should there be other runners in another scenario, you are prepared to see any possible subsequent play, yada, yada, yada.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
IMO, 3B line extended is one of the worse positions a softball umpire can take. To see ANY play, you have to depend on the runner sliding to one-side or the other and pray the never reverse their path.

I would suggest you exit right, but come through the LH batter's box and get an angle on the play from inside the diamond and adjust as the play unfolds. From here, you are not in the middle of any possible play. You are prepared to take the runner back to 3B. Should there be other runners in another scenario, you are prepared to see any possible subsequent play, yada, yada, yada.
As long as you go behind F1.