View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Just my 2 cents - moving into the infield during a play on the infield is a horrible idea, and you'll find yourself dodging thrown balls, avoiding players moving to back up somewhere, and having half of the play develop behind you.

Just a note regarding being more abrupt with coaches regarding what you did or did not see due to there only being 1 of you --- be sure you are positive the reason you are alone is the coaches' fault. Seems to me that the majority of my 1-man games resulted from a flaky partner, and not cheap schools or leagues. Also, don't forget that YOU accepted this game.
Seriously? Where do you have BU go/stand during plays in the infield when you have a full crew? While I agree there is some danger of needing to avoid a throw from 2d to home, there is no other situation I can think of where moving inside TO THE HOME SIDE OF THE MOUND could possibly put you in anyone's [or anything's] way. As for part of the play developing behind you, see "1-man {!!HA!!} mechanics" in my previous post - that is gonna happen, no matter what you do; so at least improve both angle and distance to 3/4 of the places you need to see. Actually, it's more like 4/5 improvement, 'cause if there is a play at the plate and you are halfway up 3bl and wide to "open up" the field of view, you are likely to have no view at all of what happens thru R3's backside.

OP stated this was assigned one-man, so we can forget penance for our worthless no-show partner; and The Game was accepted because the assigner needs/ expects someone to take it, and usually the guy who gets offered this kind of game isn't given much choice. Accepting a one-man assignment does not obligate one to tolerate whinging by the people who decided to forego the expense of a 2d umpire when the natural and predicable consequences of their parsimony bite them in the azz; or to be more tolerant or even appologetic for the limitations of our "One-man {I repeat, !!HA!!} mechanics".