The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 02:25pm
Stop staring at me swan.

So if you can't tell the difference, then we don't worry about it. If you're in the "its cheating" camp, so be it, but what are you going to do about it. What if you think a bat is rolled and it hasn't been rolled? Now you got a huge $hit storm on your hands...these kids still have to be able to hit...just like $2,000 clubs aren't going to make me a better golfer, but $2,000 worth of lessons surely will.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Really?

I was recently out in Phoenix for the World Championships/Senior Softball, and I was at the Combat distributor's trailer. He said there is really no true way to see if a bat has been rolled. They can check for machining when the bat is open, or the end cap is off. There is really no way to determine how many hits the bat actually has on it.

He did add that their bats are very hot out of the wrapper as they're working to get a slice of the Mikan and Worth business. The factory "hottens" the bats so to speak.

So go figure.
Anyone else missing wood bats?
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Don't really care what they do to the bats. Coaches problem!

If the bat meets the rules in 1-3, that can be physically verified on the field, then it is legal. If not, someone will pay the price.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Don't really care what they do to the bats. Coaches problem!

If the bat meets the rules in 1-3, that can be physically verified on the field, then it is legal. If not, someone will pay the price.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus521 View Post
BBCOR testing actually takes composite bats, rolls them repeatedly until failure, and tests them along the way. If, at any point, they perform over the set limit, they fail. So these bats are "safe", if they're only rolled. You'll see the term ABI, or advanced break in, and that's what this means.

Ah, but the question is, are they considered altered? I've heard both sides of this arguement, but nothing authoritative.
Nothing authoritative? The NCAA, NFHS and ASA all state that bat rolling is illegal because it alters the bat in a way that is unnatural to its intent.

Bat manufacturers state in their warranties that they will not honor a return if the bat has been rolled.

A bat that has been through a break in period via hitting baseballs will look different - the damage to the bat will not be uniform and any resin chipping inside will be more confined to points of impact. IMHO and the others stated above, rolling a bat is cheating.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

I'm only speaking from slow pitch softball experience, but I believe standards are bats will not exceed 98mph even when broken in. I bought mine year before they changed rule. 98mph out of wrapper and when broken well over 100 mph.